- advertisement -

Any one know a magic formula

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sisterbeth43, Jan 25, 2010.

1. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

to get some insulin to my snowbound dd. She is stuck in a small NE town where she lives. All roads in and out of the town are blocked shut with snow. She has about 50 units in her pump and she said maybe 20 more in a bottle. She went to the pharmacy today to get her script filled and they wouldn't give it to her because the pharamicist is snowed-in in another small NE town. There is not way for her to get insulin. I'm worried. She will be completely out by tomorrow night if she doesn't eat much and only takes what she absolutey needs.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Beth!:eek:
    How can we help? I'm in CT, not close enough ... can you give us the actual town and maybe someone local can help?

3. Toni

Toni Banned

Fed Ex? Not sure if they can deliver. Call the local police station and the state police. They should be able to get medicine through; this is an emergency. Is there a local hospital anywhere in the area. Police may be able to pick up and deliver a vial.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh gosh Beth that is scary. Ask her if they have an emergency management team in town, they may be able to help, or have her call the fire dept's regular #. they may be able to get insulin or if it gets to the point where shes in danger of running out have her call an ambulance and explain the situation. They could probably get some from the hospital and get it to her. Let me know how things are going please

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Beth I also posted something in Facebook, I told people to PM you here if they can help

6. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

No idea, but here's hoping someone here at CWD can help you figure this out. There must be a way somehow....

7. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Beth is this NE being Nebraska or NE being in the Northern Eastern states. If close to Omaha, I can run out tomorrow if our roads are ok... I'm just a bit over an hour drive from Omaha.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  8. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Beth, I am of no help I'm afraid but I just wanted to tell you that I will be thinking of you and your daughter! Wowzer :eek:. Surely, there must be a way to get some insulin to her somehow...??? Sending lots of good thoughts!!!

9. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I am about 2.5 hours from Omaha on a clear day. However, I may be able to have a truck driver get it pretty close tomorrow if she needs still needs it.

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Yes, Beth, please clarify....I'm sure someone can help or offer ideas whether Nebraska or New England area? CWD is crawling with New Englanders...and I guess even moreso if you mean the whole Northeast (which I would count from PA on up).

11. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Beth,
    A question for Rea, does she by chance have any lantus insulin on hand. The other option would be for her to go to the pharmacy since she can get there and buy a vial of regular insulin and a vial of NPH insulin.
    Wendy

12. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Other options: Local Hospital, Endo's office, Primary Drs office, another pharmacy that is close to her.

13. sisterbeth43

I have called her with several suggestions including the one about the regular and NPH. Michelle and Kristi, thanks for your offers of help, but she is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours from Omaha on mainly county roads.

14. sisterbeth43

We are talking small town Nebraska here, only one pharmacy in town. The closest hospitals are either 45 minutes or over an hour away and they can't get to them because they can't get out of town. They have already closed the schools there for tomorrow again.

15. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Have her call the local volunteer ambulance service. They may not have insulin but they may know who does in town. We had several people run out of insulin in that last really bad storm contact me through the ambulance to get enough to get them through the storm. Lots of Type 2 are also on insulin so even if there isn't any type 1's in town they may still be able to help her.

16. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I'm not sure if that will help her without a pharmacist. My BF is a pharmacy tech and in our state she told me she is not even allowed to step foot into the pharmacy with out a pharmacist present. She has had people yelling at her as she stood by the door waiting for her pharmacist to come back from lunch. But she can't help it. I'd keep trying the pharmacy in case they get someone in.

Beth I'm so sorry for your worry over your DD. Do you think the red cross can help in this type of emergency? Sorry I am no help.

17. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

She is gonna have to find it in town. According to dh (works in law enforcement) deputies have been pulled off the roads, plows were pulled off early this afternoon. Unless you can find someone with a snowmobile, no one is getting in or out.

18. sisterbeth43

That's so true, Nicole. Maybe the ambulance service knows someone in town who uses the same insulin. Her hubby knows someone who uses Humalog and they are thinking about calling her too. I just hope she lives in town. Jon can get thru town in his truck, but almost didn't make it back from his mothers today and she only lives a few miles out of town. She has just got to start keeping extra on hand.

19. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Maybe the pharmacist can give someone at the pharmacy permission to give her the insulin? Or maybe there's another pharmacist who lives nearby and could do it (b/c can't get to another small town where s/he works)? There's got to be something that can be done.

20. swellman

swellman Approved members

911?

Are the EMTs shut down?