advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any idea how BG was 130 at dinner and 395 at bedtime?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by grantsmom, Nov 19, 2008.

1. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Last night at dinner he was 130. He had turkey brest, fresh steamed brocolli and noodles with sauce for the 60 carbs. He only ate half the carbs, so I gave him 20 carbs of ice cream to make up the difference.

I was with him the whole night and he DID NOT snack on a thing in between dinner and bedtime.

At bedtime he was 395!

How can this happen?

We are fighting high numbers for months now and this type of stuff seems to happen a lot. I just do not understand....:confused:

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

is he on lantus? could he need a ratio change? if he's pumping he could need a basal increase..

what time was dinner and what time is bed time? what time did he have icecream?

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I don't there's think enough info or context to really take a guess. It could be one of about 50 things... least of which is "even when you do all the math right sometimes you will get an unexplained high".

4. CButler

CButler Approved members

My daughter sneaked some chocolate the other day and we got an unexpected high.:(

5. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

All I know is, that's been happening a lot to Aaron lately.

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Was the ice cream the regular (not low fat/fat free)? Ice cream always has a delayed reaction in my SD because of the fat so now I only keep low fat/fat free in our house.

7. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We see the same thing with any high fat foods. Any type of nut or seed sends our daughter soaring.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

how can it happen? Diabetes? ;)

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

for us, ice cream carbs are treated unlike "regular" carbs---he requires double the insulin per gram compared to other foods. If this were Sam, that would be my guess.

10. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Cashews are evil at our house lol

11. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

That one statement in red tells me he had a fat spike. It's pretty typical in fact to see a sharp rise a few hours after eating some fat for some kids. Ice cream, well any dairy fat, is evil.

12. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

There's a big difference between full-fat Friendly's-style ice-cream and the usual low-fat stuff we get. BIG difference. The first time he had a tiny sundae at Friendly's it was a 350+ night!

13. Wendyb

Wendyb Approved members

Ha ha---loved this one!

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

More info/context is needed to provide a meaningful answer.
    • Any BG readings between supper and bedtime?
    • Does he feel lows and respond to them?
    • Was it normal ice cream?
    • Is his supper carb ratio well-established (ie. have you gotten good results previous nights using that ratio?)
    • Did you pre-bolus?

It is not uncommon to have a BG reading you don't expect, but in this case going up 260 when he got less carbs than you gave him insulin for seems odd..

15. grantsmom

Hi everyone. I was too busy with work today to come back and post answers.

I will also try to be better at adding more detail...I forget you are all not mind readers:eek:

Grant is on Humalog and Humlin in the morning and Humalog and Lantus at dinner.

We have been battling high BG(to me unexplained numbers) for months.

We are in the process of switching endos.

Grant is 12 and was dx'd in March.

I think based on reading everyones posts the issue could definitely be the ice cream. He has always eaten full fat ice cream. The dietician told us to. She never has mentioned how fat effects D. I never even knew what a fat spike was until I read it on this board:mad:

This morning he was 235. Lunch he was 86, dinner 103 and he feel asleep (very unusal for him about an hour ago) We will be checking his BG every few hours through out the night because he has been running so high and now back to "normal" BG numbers with no change in insulin.

Any way...becaue he eats ice cream every night for bedtime 30 carbs, I am going to switch to the low fat version and see if that helps him. The only time we have had a night time low was when I gave him a pb and j sandwich because I ran out of ice cream. Interesting....

I really am starting to think the ice cream is causing us issues...what do you think?

16. grantsmom

well...so much for the ice cream theory.

He ate dinner two hours ago. I just went into test him and he is 326.:confused:

I will test him again in an hour and report back...

Guess Frizzy is right.....

I hope our new endo can help.

17. grantsmom

WILF

I did not answer your questions...sorry

No, we do not normally test in between dinner and bedtime
    Yes, he does feel lows

18. grantsmom

Ok, now I am thinking again...Maybe it still is a fat thing.

For dinner he had whole wheat noodles with marinara sauce and some turkey (low fat) meatballs. Raw carrots with a little ranch dressing (full fat) and one slice of garlic cheese toast (high fat).

So, I guess my question now is....

Do you try and keep a carb to fat to protein ratio in each meal?

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

Yeah, I think fat could still be the issue. And you can take one of three approaches:
    • try to avoid normal- to high-fat foods
    • try to get him on low-fat versions of what he likes to eat
    • try to figure out how to bolus for meals with significant fat content

I've elected to do a bit of each at this end. For bolusing we find we need to double the bolus, but the doubling up we do with Regular (to cover the fat). So if it takes 5 Novolog to bolus the carbs in pizza or cheesy garlic bread, then I would give DD 5 Novolog and 5 Regular (in the same syringe). If it's a really high fat meal we just bolus with Regular (doubled up).

20. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

We get lows with PB and J too. Not sure what's up with that. But we sure do.