- advertisement -

Any Generic Insulin?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by brokenheart, Oct 1, 2012.

1. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

We currently use Novolog. Now that my health benefit has changed, I need to pay $108.18 for two small vials of insulin after insurance. But I only need to pay $5 if it were generic. So, just wondering if there is such a thing called generic insulin, if yes, is anyone of you using it? Pros and cons?

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

As far as I know, there is no generic insulin on the market.

3. brokenheart

Thank you. So I don't have to wonder if I am paying too much now that I know there is no option.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sadly, this is true.

Does your insurance offer an alternative? For example, we use Novolog, but we can switch to Humalog for a better price. If not, some of the pharma companies have programs you can enroll in to at least get a lower OTC price.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It can't hurt to call your endo and see it the prescription couldn't be written in some other way, perhaps for 3 vials per prescription fill that might give you a somewhat smaller co-pay per bottle.

6. brokenheart

Thank you. We've never tried Humalog. I had assumed that their prices are more or less the same. But I'll definitely check with our endo. Speaking of pharma programs, do you have any suggestion or at least a few keywords for me to search?

7. brokenheart

3 vials per prescription does sound like a good idea to save a little. Never thought about this. Thanks.

8. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I would definitely check with your insurance company to see if they have a preference on the type of insulin. Have them compare the costs for Humalog, Novolog, and possibly Apidra.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Walmart has a Relion Brand insulin called Novolin & Humiolin and some otheres they are non Rx and run $24.88 a vial. I have no idea if they compare to Novolog and Humolog, out of curiosity I might goggle or go to the Pharmacy and ask if they can give you info. Or I guess call the endo.

10. Deal

Deal Approved members

Most pharmacies carry "Regular" Insulin which has a different profile then NovoRapid but a unit if it covers the same amount of carbs as a unit of any other insulin. It is typically very cheap to purchase because any company is allowed to manufacture it as per Dr. Bantings instructions when he invented it. It is called Humilin-R or Novolin-R or Insulin-Toronto by different manufacturers.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=relion+insulin+&l=1

12. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Novalog has a diabetes pateint assistant program.. I am not sure about all the deetails but I am sure it is on their website.

13. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Walmart brands are comparable to NPH, Regular and a 70/30 mix. They don't offer a fast acting comparison.

14. steph

steph Approved members

not sure how many units a month you use, but we switched to getting a pack of novolog pen cartridges instead of 2 big vials. that way we get five months worth for the price of one. we never use more than the 200 units in the cartridge in a month.

15. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If I was buying insulin out of pocket, I would consider Walmart brands to be generic, but my insurance company does not agree. I don't get a discount for taking Regular.
    Patient Assistance Programs for insulin only cover those without prescription insurance.

P.S. In your situation it sounds like you're paying a percentage (about 50%?) of the cost, so switching to a cheaper insulin might help. In fact, two vials of Humulin R would be cheaper than your copay.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  16. brokenheart

Yes, I pay 40% as CVS CareMark told me. When I was with Care First Blue Cross Blue Shields, I paid 50 bucks for 2 vials of novolog insulin.

17. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Apridra has a discount card/program and I have gotten free insulin from them for over a year.

I am so sorry I forgot to mention that! here is the link but it looks like it is only good for the rest of this year. the other disocount program might be similar.

Also how about a medical grant?

18. brokenheart

Thanks, I am discussing this with our endo.

19. brokenheart

Wait, are you saying that you use pump, but get insulin as a pack of novolog pen cartridges?

20. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

They are not interchangeable with Humalog or Novolog. Humulin/Novolin R starts to work after 30 minutes, peaks around 3-4 hours, and can last up to 9 hours.