- advertisement -

Any Future Wireless Receivers

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by DadCares, Oct 1, 2011.

1. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Are any of the CGM vendors working on technology to transmit real-time data to another source. For example, our Dexcom sensor transmits to the receiver, but I wish there was some way to get to the actual real-data from the receiver. This would help at nighttime if we could transmit to our wireless network and have another way to see her readings from our bedroom. Similar concept at school. It sure would be nice if her real-time readings could automatically transmit or be accessible to something.

2. Don

Don Approved members

A long ways off but I've read that the Cell Novo pump wants to someday integrate with CGM. They have built the pump around the concept of patients/parents/caregivers/doctors being able to see data in real-time. I guess the pump remote connects to cell phone networks to send data.

I've also heard Dexcom investor reports talk about someday using smartphones as receivers.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't know what happened to it, but MM has had MySentry in development for evvvvvvvvver. It's a unit that would sit on a parent's nightstand and receive readings from the CGM. So not as good as something that would beam to your smartphone, but a move in that direction.

4. Deal

Deal Approved members

It's really too bad that the companies in the business are trying to own the entire solution set. If only the charities that funded the original research put appropriate limitations on the results we would have a more open source style solution set. Technologically, it would be simple to take the output from a CGMS and pass the data to an ipod or android device. The resulting apps would be amazing without costing a monthly fee. It's the CGMS companies that don't want that to happen, they want to own it all and prevent others from intercepting and adding value added applications to the raw data. If one of the CGMS companies opened their protocol they would likely corner the market as users of their competition would switch over once the low cost apps that analyzed and forwarded the data became available.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'd love it to go to my phone and an alert sound on my phone.

I was at least heartened to see that Dexcom has an app in the Apple store. Not much in the app I need but at least it shows someone was thinking about that type of technology.

The Dex trainer told me that it wasn't a priority as the Dex is only rated to be sold to adults and not children and adults don't generally want their numbers beamed anywhere else. Seems to me that even the adults wouldn't mind if their number went to a bedside receiver that had a better alarm system. The Dex alarms are not enough to wake me up.

I remember MySentry too - I don't know what the hold-up is with getting something like that out there.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Even though Dexcom is not approved for children now, Dexcom knows they sell many to under 18. I would like to know the % of Dexcom users that are under 18.

7. DadCares

I could probably write the program if I could just get access to the data. If we have a WiFi connection, you could merge the technology with a product like MyCareConnect to transmit readings via text message or email. That wouldn't help when you are outside away from WiFi, but would work at school or at night.

8. millyyates

millyyates Approved members

Not cgms

We all know that so much of this stuff is technically possible today but the FDA is such a brake on technological developments.

Here is an example of an innovative product available in Australia today.

http://www.myglucohealth.com.au/

9. hawkeyegirl

I think there was something like this available in the states around the time Jack was diagnosed. I'll see if I can find it.

10. DadCares

That is even better because it is using wireless technology as opposed to WiFi. I'd take either now, just so we could have something.

11. hawkeyegirl

I can't find it now, so I'm guessing it's off the market. The owner of the company used to post here. The company was Diabetech and his first name was Kevin. I want to say that the name of his company was something like My Gluco? I'm pretty sure one of their products was a meter that would beam readings to a parent's phone. I know a couple of people here used it.

I think that a big barrier to this sort of technology being developed is that the market is relatively small. I've become convinced that there is just not enough money in it for companies to develop products for CWDs and parents of CWDs. Most people with diabetes are adults, and thats where the R&D money is going. :(

12. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

Ya, but you know, I would just be so dern loyal to the company that did develop those kind of things for us. Technology should be more open sourced so that talented people with those needs can develop for those smaller markets.

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

There is no product available that does this. The My Sentry was supposed to be sold in 2009 but has dissapeared.

I am pretty sure you could do this - at least overnight - by affixing a webcam of some kind to the CGM, the webcasting on a home network or using USTREAM. It might take building a frame to attach the webcam at a fixed distance from the CGM display and providing a light source (some webcams have a built in light that shines when they are capturing video). That's the only possibility I can think of at the moment.

14. DadCares

Darryl, One problem is that the power button must be pressed every 5 minutes (Dexcom) before the video could succeed.

I wonder if there is a wireless monitoring device that could intecept the signal? This sounds like a positive usage of that technology. Of course, why can't Dexcom merely turn their receiver into a dual device that receives and then re-transmits to a Wi-Fi network.