advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Enlite sensor tips?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AKA TJs Mom, Apr 12, 2013.

1. AKA TJs Mom

AKA TJs Mom New Member

With much excitement and anticipation the Enlite Sensor finally arrived but it isn't working quite as perfectly as I was hoping and I am looking for any suggestions on how to increase it's accuracy.

[My son has used the soft sensor for 4 or 5 years and it took a few months but we had figured out 'the perfect angle', best hook-up times, etc. so that it worked accurately most of the times... especially since we switched to the Veo pump.]

Alas, with the Enlite sensor we seem to be back to square one. The first 12 hours involved readings that were waaaaaaay off - at one point it said he was 22mmol/L (400mg/dl) but was really 10.2 (180) and another said 6.0 (100) but he was really 11.1 (200).

After multiple calibrations and turning it off and back on it has settled into a routine for the past 4 days but the Enlite still doesn't seem quite as accurate as the soft sensor.... which is disappointing.

Any tips that work for you?

Thanks!

2. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We are also on our first week of the Enlite and, although he was quite impressed with the insertion, we have had similar results to you - as in, no real improvement in accuracy and a few times, way, WAY off (5/90 points off) especially at the beginning. I cannot say yet that it's worse than the sof sensors but it really is no better (and a whole lot more expensive!). The weird thing is, I've never seen such high ISIG numbers - up in the 50s and 60s when he has BGs in the 5s and 6s (90-108) which I suppose I have to get used to but I regularly look at the ISIG when I'm calibrating and with the sof sensors if I saw an ISIG over about 30 his blood sugar was usually really high! So seeing 50s and 60s gives me the heebie jeebies. Have you noticed this?

I will say, we do love the new taping. My son has a nasty tape allergy and is violently allergic to the actual transmitter. We have always had to put cloth tape or a dry alcohol swab under the transmitter to prevent the burn mark on his skin and use opsite flexifix to keep it all in place - but after 7 days, his skin is usually quite disgusting. The Enlite comes with tape in the shape of the transmitter and some funky tape that holds everything down without smothering his skin and allowing it to breath. It wouldn't survive two minutes in the pool but it's perfect for day to day. The first one was lost in the pool (taped down with opsite to no avail - an expensive trip to the pool!) but the second, after 6 days, it's still on and his skin looks great - he may actually be able to show his legs in public one of these days. We use legs exclusively for our sensors - our whole experience changed dramatically when we switched to legs (on the recommendation of the top chap in Medtronic working on the Artificial Pancreas whose son has D). No more false lows at night with the pump going into low suspend every time (grr!), much better accuracy, better A1Cs and believe it or not, a lot less painful!

We have quite a few ladies in Europe that have been using the Enlite for some time so hopefully they will chime in with some tips for us Enlite Newbies in Canada.

In the meantime, if you figure anything out let me know and vice versa!

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Hi,

Where do you put the sensors on his legs? If you don't mind could you tell me how muscular his legs are? Also, what angle do you insert at (for the sof-sensors)? Sorry for all the questions but I have only had painful experiences with sensors in my legs and would love to be able to put them there.

4. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

My son is lean and muscular - by no means boney/skinny but no fat to speak of. When we used his tummy it was very traumatic for him because it was painful and the false lows nearly sent me over the edge - I had to turn off the low suspend on the Veo because it would suspend insulin delivery every night.

After the recommendation from the Medtronic fellow, we had to bribe Oscar to try it at least once (because frankly the idea of a large needle into that soft area inside the thighs .... yikes). He was amazed. For him it was 100 times less painful than his stomach. We go in at an angle with the sof sensors, so he will relax his leg and flop it out so the inner thigh is relaxed and facing outwards - we use the inner thigh only from anywhere just above the knee where there is a little bit of fat up to an inch or so from groin area - it's a fairly large area and we alternate legs. We only use the inside of the legs - I have seen videos of people using the outside and front of the thigh but that is just muscle on Oscar and I imagine it would get knocked and have the same false low issues from pressure as the tummy so I won't even go there.

Not sure if this will help you, or where you were putting your sensors before but it sure has worked for us.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks! I have actually only tried the outside of my thighs and I am pretty sure they were going straight into muscle--- it was excruciating.

I may try that area, I would not have thought to try my inner thighs. I use arms, stomach, lower back but have some issues with false lows at night especially with my arms and stomach.

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Honestly, only it came straight from the mouth of a Medtronic guru (with a child with D no less - which gave him credence for me :)), I would NEVER have tried the inner thigh - we were so skeptical - the idea simply makes one's eyes water! Give it a go and let me know! I could just have a kid with a high pain threshold (his Dad sure has one) but at $79 a pop I'm loathe to try one out on my low pain threshold body to find out for sure - sorry!

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

I thought you could not use the inner thighs for either pump sites or CGMS sites due to all the blood vessels and larger vascular issues? I have always wanted to be able to use my inner thighs as they did seem the least muscular part of my leg. Are you sure that there this is not a big vein running down the inner thigh or is one just not going deep enough??Thank you, thank you for your ideas. :cwds:ali

8. owensmom

owensmom Approved members

We are currently using the fleshy back area of O's arms. We struggled with false lows on the legs - the new sensors appear to be very sensitive to pressure. We have also found that taping over the site with opsite is necessary, while the adhesive under the transmitter is great as a barrier the other piece is not enough to keep the sensor from moving.

We are having decent luck with its reliability and are finding it to have a lag of around eight minutes instead of the 15 to 20 we are used to - closer to real time ;) As always hydration appears to make a difference with accuracy.

On a whole the enlites do not seem to irritate and bother him like the sofsensors always did which is a huge plus.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

Rats...i use the back of my arms only. This is the only spot that works, i was hoping the new sensors would work better in other areas. I am an adult T1 (diagnosed as a teen) and just like small kids do not have many areas to use.:eek:ali

10. Cdntype1mom

Cdntype1mom New Member

We've been using the enlite about 3 weeks now with great success...the first week was a bit rough but then came to the realization the issue was with the meter readings not the sensor. We pulled one of new meters that came with the Veo and it has been smooth sailing with the calibrations ever since. The old meter went in the garbage! The sensor has given us some false lows in the night but only a result of her lying on it for too long. It has also caught one low of which she slept through the predictive alarms and didn't wake up until it suspended itself .. below 2.2. Tested and she was 2.8. Well worth the money from that alone. Her numbers are incredibly stable all night long so this one came completely out of the blue. Not sure I can give it up now.

11. AKA TJs Mom

AKA TJs Mom New Member

An Update

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions.

I wanted to give an update: The enlite sensor readings have stabilized though I'm still not sure they are as accurate as the sof-sensor was for my son but..... I just talked with a very knowledgeable medtronic rep (who wears an enlite) and I learned:

- by continuing to put the IV3000 over the sensor it is causing added pressure on the enlite (which is very sensitive) so that may be effecting his readings. (I did like the extra security 'blanket' of theIV 3000 but am willing to give the sensor-tape alone a try).

- the "Calibration Factor" is very important for the enlite (more than it was before). To calculate the CF: Meter Bg * 18/ISIG and it should be between 1.5 & 20 to calibrate but ideally between 5 & 9 for the most accurate readings.

Thanks again ....I haven't been able to talk TJ into the inner thighs but that sounds like a good place if we can get pass the Yikes factor!

12. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Thanks for the info on when best to calibrate - I will try using it for the next few calibrations to see if there is any improvement - there is still no marked difference in the new sensors for us and at least 4 - 5 times (most often at night) I have had to turn it off and on again and start a new sensor because it was more than 80 points off - I rarely saw that with the sof sensor and a reliable transmitter!! We are at the end of our second full week on the Enlite and all I can say is I am bummed!! Three low suspends this week while sleeping - we haven't dealt with this in 18 months but when I look back on old threads from when our European counterparts started on the Enlite - it appears they also had the same problems with increased sensitivity to any sort of pressure. Maybe this week we were too far up on his leg (wasn't a problem with the sof sensors). But at 2-3 units an hour of basal his body cannot tolerate 2 hours without basal ESPECIALLY in the early morning. We have just been using the Enlite tape so it isn't that. We are using the new transmitter we got free as part of the package deal so I'm going to go back to my old tried and trusted transmitter in the same spot (other leg) for next week to see if there is an improvement. I feel robbed and disappointed after waiting for this for so long and paying out of pocket - I really hope it's just a learning curve for us and things will improve but, jeez, we've been CGM'ing for 3 years - we know what we are doing - it shouldn't be more difficult!!

Ali - I couldn't tell you anything about veins in the legs ... We haven't hit one yet:)

The needle, insertion and tape are still a plus but that's it so far:cool:

13. Labradormarj

Labradormarj New Member

Enlite sensor follow up

Hi, just wondering how you are finding the sensors now. My 7 year old has been using them since June. The first few months were good, then we started using arms and legs. I found the arms had really good correlation. But then we started getting a lot of false lows. I think we may go back to just belly, but even that has issues.

14. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

All of our problems were related to the new transmitter we received as part of the package deal we signed on for. Since I had it replaced it's been plain sailing. I haven't seen a false low in a long time. How old is your sensor - they are warrantied for 12 months now so perhaps you can have it replaced. We are considering a move to Dexcom now that it's finally been released in Canada - I'm just afraid he'll lose the Receiver since it's not attached to him.

15. Labradormarj

Labradormarj New Member

All of it was new in June. She only started the pump in feb, and we decided to wait on the CGM because the new ones were suppose to be approved soon. I'm glad we waited the older ones looked so painful. However, now that I think of it, the transmitter was from feb and came with the older set that we did have come but didn't use. Do you think that could be the difference?

16. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We are still using an older transmitter from October 2012 and it works great with the Enlite (that's how I knew the new transmitter was flaky). It could just be on the outs - do you get any spontaneous restarts where it just goes into warm-up mode for no reason? That's usually a sign. That and the ISIG is really low all the time regardless of what his blood sugar is (we had one transmitter where the ISIG never went above 5). I hope you get to the bottom of it - I would give Medtronic a call, especially as it's still in warranty.

17. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Sure its not an "approved" site -but my DH had the BEST readings, when we did upper back! Like over the scapula area. He had enough meat there, and it didn't get in his way at all! And spot on readings!

Also, it seemed super true to us, that you CANNOT calibrate if your sugar is changing at all... just messed it up and no getting back on track!