- advertisement -

Any children's books about pumping?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Sep 10, 2012.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

My 5 year old has two children's books that explain diabetes, but in both books the child is shown receiving injections.

Are there any similar books, but that show a child (or bear -whatever) that has an insulin pump? I would love to send one to his kindergarten.

Looking for a kid book - not one for adults.
    Thanks.

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Even Superheroes Get Diabetes (I think it is called) is the story of a boy's diagnosis; he has a pump. It does not really explain diabetes carefully, so it is not necessarily going to help as a teaching tool, but it is a great story for a 5-year-old boy to share with his class!

3. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

4. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

5. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

My 5 yr old took "Even Superhero's get Diabetes" to school. Its a good book for that reasoning in that its still a "story" and not just educational. The boy gets a pump but it doesnt go into much detail about the actual pump

6. minniem

minniem Approved members

We read the book "Taking Diabetes to School" by Kim Gosselin. In it there is a boy that gets injections, but there is also a girl that has a pump and they talk about that a little bit too.

We've read it to my son's class every year.

7. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

The Adventures of Pumpernickel Book - and also has a matching pumpernickel bear.

You can get it at http://www.fifty50pharmacy.com and then search by pumpernickel.

My son loves his and he's 3.