- advertisement -

Any chance that catching it earlier leads to longer honeymoon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WTMCassandra, Oct 19, 2009.

1. WTMCassandra

WTMCassandra Approved members

Wow, that's awesome. Go, Sam!

2. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

we also "caught Jake's D early" - everyone was impressed all around, but what else do you do when your previously potty trained 6 yr starts wetting the bed every night when he never did before and then begins to have daytime accidents? Take him to the Ped. Ped tested for D, and here we are. Sadly, that is not the scenario for everyone. So while we feel we did nothing out of the ordinary we are grateful that our Ped didn't miss it, because we never once thought of D. (no fam history)

That said - Jake was dx last Dec. started on 6 units of Lantus and was backed down to 4 within a month. Same for daytime - Novalog. I asked our Endo about it and they say "tight control" leads to extending the honeymoon - which is why they insist on the 4 shots per day. This is "aggressive treatment" they tell me.

I have no perspective but trust them, as it seems to be working and his A1C is lower each time we go. I do also understand it may not always be that way.

Now if they could answer our questions about why he continues to wet the bed when he never did before D... forgive me I am tired tonight and very weary of washing bedding every day.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Even with a good honeymoon going and great control, there are times (in particular after meals) when BG goes high. It sounds like your son's bladder is more sensitive than some - which is why you caught the d so early. But being as sensitive as it is, it may also be responding to the highs that occur on a daily basis. Or there could be psychological issues coming into play. Have you discussed this with your medical team?

4. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

I caught it very early. Meghan showed 4 days of symptoms. The only reason I caught is because she never drank a lot or peed a lot. It was so out of character for her. The third day of drinking a lot she peed her bed. I knew right then and there something was wrong. I went to CVS bought reagent strips and tested her urine. Called the pedi and he sent us to the ER. Her blood sugar was a little over 400, no DKA and no weight loss. That was 1 year and 3 months ago. She is on a pump and her TTD is 7 units. The endo days she is still honeymooning. The only thing I have noticed now is in the beginning she never made ketones now she makes tjhem very easily.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

How long has she been pumping? My guess is that early on she was on MDI, when ketones are rare. They are much more common when things go wrong pumping.

6. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

Wilf, you are absolutely correct. The ketones didn't start until we started the pump. I would have never thought of that. We started on NPH and humalog, went to Levemir and humalog to Novolog in the pump.
    Thank you for helping me to figure that out. It was bothering me because I couldn't put my finger on why we all of sudden got ketones everytime there was either a failed site or another issue. That makes so much sense. With no long acting insulin she is bound to get ketones if there is a delivery problem.
    I honestly always learn so much when reading your posts.
    Thank you.

7. candise

candise Approved members

Heaven was diagnosed by accident- she literally had no symtoms. We went for a required shot for school- I mentioned her thinking she had a UTI as we were walking out the door- thank gosh we asked for a urine sample. I have 2 nieces with type 1 and never suspected anything. She was diagnosed 8 months ago. She was 105lbs also-weird. She used about 7 units of lantus a day up until we started pumping 4 months ago. She is part of a trial to extend her honeymoon. We have had 2 mixed meal tests where she is given 40 carbs uncovered and blood is drawn over a 4 hour period. Her last one was in August and she started at 99 BS rose to 173 and dropped to 119 by hour 4 with no bolus. Her C-peptide level was also tested and rose to a high of 2.8 from a baseline of 1.1. Normal levels are 1.1-5. She is in a blinded study so we are not sure if she is gertting active drug or not. Her last A1c was 5.4 down from 7.9 at diagnosis.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

My son's sugar was in the 300's with no DKA and I don't think he had much if any of a honeymoon. Try not to worry about it, in some ways it's more of a pain when their honeymooning...:cwds:

9. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

We are honeymooning too...

Lantus = 8
    Novolog = 1:30

It's complicates this some times, but I want it as long as I can get it!!! I have been studying it and found some interesting info, but I agree it's an individual thing.

I have a friend whom is 58 D since 2 (1952) and is still producing insulin.

10. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

From a little calculator I wrote:

104 lbs. is 47 kg
    Remission TDD: around 23.6u (aka "honeymoon")
    Typical TDD: 37.7u to 56.6u
    Typical BCR: 5.6 mgdl per g (0.31 mmol)​

Note the remission TDD her is an upper end. It should say "or below" since it can go down much below that.

For those interested, it's computed as remission being 0.5u/kg, the typical TDD are 0.8-1.2u/kg taken from Dr. Hanas' book.

11. momofMEN

momofMEN Approved members

We caught Emilee's very early too. (after a friends daughter, Emily, was diagnosed) It was March '06 and now over this past summer, it seems like she is done honeymooning. Her numbers have been more wacky and she has had to do more changes to basal and bolus.

Hope your dd has a very long honeymoon!

12. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

It is true.

I looked last night for the research, but could not find it. We went to a JDRF seminar last year put on by Dr. Jim Johnson at UBC and some of their findings indicated that there could be a longer honeymoon if you catch it earlier. They have also found that not all the islet cells get destroyed with diabetes. It was very interesting and informative.