- advertisement -

Any advice for flying and beach days on the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Feb 6, 2012.

1. polly

polly Approved members

We are headed to the Dominican Republic next week with my family. This will be our first time flying since Noah's dx. Any suggestions on how to handle the pump (i.e, do you just disconnect during take-off and landing)? Any suggestions for handling extended days at the beach, eating different foods or simply being out of the country? We have triples of all of our supplies, a big bag of snacks that typically work well with his BG and a back-up pump ready to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

make sure you have the original boxes with the prescriptions written on them for insulin, or any creams. We back extras and had them in each of our carry on, on the way there, incase something happened to someone's luggage. We didn't disconnect the pump for landings or take offs.

If you are pumping, make sure you cap the site at the beach, otherwise sand can get in there and you'll have to change out the site because it won't reconnect.

3. BeerMargaritaMom

BeerMargaritaMom Approved members

When going through security disconnect the pump - and hand it to the TSA agent and insist they do a manual inspect. We do not allow it to go through the xray machine and it will set off the metal detector. If your child wears it through the metal detector and beeps they will do a pat down and use the wand thingy. It is time consuming

You can take small juice boxes but they will wipe them down with explosive detecting wipes.

set an increased temp basal for long flights due to extended sitting.

be sure to have extra batteries for meter and pump - not easy to purchase at 30,000 feet if your batteries go low.

Safe travels!

4. Flutterby

We never had to take it off, the only pump that sets off the metal detector is the animas.. MM and the Omnipod won't. We told them they could touch it but it was NOT to come off her body.. one airport didn't even care, the other looked at it really quick and sent us on our way.. the one area we did have a problem was with the EMLA cream, but they couldn't do anything about it because it was in its original box with her prescriptions..The TSA agent said she really wanted to throw it out because it was over the 3oz (or whatever their 'rule' is) but couldn't because of the script..

5. BeerMargaritaMom

You are correct - I have heard the MM and Omni wont set the alarms off. Animas has a metal casing so it does set off the alarm. Good add!

6. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Write down your ratios, isf, etc. be prepared in procedures to go back to mdi just as a precaution. I can't imagine how lost I would be if we had to go back to mdi while on vacation and not know what to do. When we were on vacation I brought the instructions but luckily didn't need them. But felt more relaxed knowing I was prepared!

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

My pump alarms in some airports, but not in others. I've never had a problem with the pump itself going through the machine.

I have learned that I can bring a bottle of OJ through as long as you declare it as a "medical liquid" and put in into the tub for screening.

8. Flutterby

YES! This is a big one.. We brought the little juicy juices through, it was medically necessary (and wallet necessary as I wasn't paying $4 for a freakin juice box!).. we were able to bring water, snacks and tabs as well. But they had to be for her.;)

9. BeerMargaritaMom

I just remembered that some pump companies will send you a loaner pump to take with on vacation just in case something goes wrong with your regular pump. You might check into that. I havn't tried it yet but plan to next time we travel.

10. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

We recently flew with Animas and it is actually the belt clip that makes the alarm, so we just told the agents. One way he was subjected to a full pat down which was quite invasive and made him nervous :( Going home we disconnected and had no problem. Also, just so you are prepared...we had a lot of issues with our beach vacation and our pump site. No matter what I did sand got into his site and had to be removed. We capped it and covered it but still no luck. There must be some ocean goers here that have some tips.

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

If you're travelling out of the country, I would purchase trip insurance. That way you could be medic-vacced back to the states if there were a health problem. Third world countries are not a place to mess with Type 1 diabetes.

12. polly

polly Approved members

Thanks for the suggestions guys! We have a loaner pump ready to go and triple the supplies that I think we'll need. It's pretty sad when our D supplies far outweigh our luggage for clothes! :) He is on a Ping and I hadn't thought about disconnecting for TSA to do a manual inspection. We usually cut a circle out of a tagaderm patch so we can connect and disconnect without removing the covering - maybe we should consider using the entire strip so sand doesn't get into the site? There are so many factors to consider - I really appreciate the insight!

13. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

MDI supplies, including lantus, are always good to have "just in case".
    I think someone mentioned extra batteries for both the pump and your meters.
    Ketone meter and strips too.

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Animas will set it off depending on where it is on your body, I flew this past January, on the way there it was in my skirt pocket (on the side of my body) and it set the thing off, on the way back I was wearing jeans and it was in the front pocket (more in front of me) and didn't set it off, and that time I had to go through two detectors!

15. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Yes! Our first beach vacation, we just plugged the site...and then the sand and salt water made it impossible to UNplug it when we got back to our hotel room. Had to take the entire site out.:mad: Then, we tried band-aids...which were successful, but a pain. Took me a while to figure out what you already have!:eek::rolleyes: We finally just used an extra IV3000 without the cut-out hole...and it worked great. I was also a bit paranoid about sand getting into the reservoir and battery caps...so I used the IV 3000 tape to cover that area, too! Also found (between the first time and the time we used band-aids) that, if the plug DOES get stuck, just soaking in a tub for a little while after you get back from the beach can loosen it up enough to unplug it. Of course, I just prefer to freak out and change the entire site!;):rolleyes::eek:

Have a great time!

16. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Be sure your D supplies and emergency sugar (candy, tabs or whatever you use) are in your carry-on, not checked. Or at least 1/2 of them in carry-on anyway.

Watch out for dehydration on the plane and on the beach - will cause unexplained highs.

Have fun!

17. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I am learning so much! I was planning on posting a travel question I'm March. We are going to Bahrain and I am scared to death right now. I knew about the loaner pump. The kids want to go pearl diving and I didn't know what to do about the salt water. I knew I could take snacks and water for him but, it is a 9 hour difference:eek:! It will be a 14 hour flight with 2 lay overs with 4 kids by myself. We went on a short trip while he was on injections and had trouble keeping the extra insulin cold. I didn't mind the open bottle at room temp but, I wanted the spare to be cold. We ended up with 2 bottles of less than optimal insulin for a week. I used a cold pack during the flight but, any suggestions on a better way to keep it cold would be appreciated.

18. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

For Connor's mom:
    When we flew to/from Australia, I carried a small soft cooler bag inside the D duffle. It had ice packs to keep the extra insulin cold. Since the ice packs wouldn't last the whole trip (24+ hours by the time we actually got to our destination), I also brought some quart size ziploc freezer bags, and I filled them with ice from the flight attendants and/or in the airline club between flights. I just dumped refilled these as needed.

19. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Thanks! That is a great idea. I didn't think about asking the flight attendants for extra ice. My husband wants me to ask to keep it in the planes refrigerator but, I don't want it away from me.

20. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We've successfully used a Frio pack on overseas trips. I just soak it in cold water every day or two. It keep insulin cool for 2 weeks. Be sure not to stick it in a ziplock or other sealed bag though. It cools by condensation so it has to breathe.