- advertisement -

anxiety over site changes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tennisgirl, Apr 30, 2013.

1. tennisgirl

tennisgirl New Member

My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago and has been on a pump for 1 1/2 years .. However we still have a lot of anxiety and emotion over site changes - I am at a loss as to how to overcome these emotions ..

2. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Do you use a numbing cream?

3. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

Kira's getting the pump soon, and our nurse educator suggested that we put headphones on her while we do it. Maybe even headphones and let her play her leappad.

She said that, while a lot of them don't hurt that much, the CLICK!!! can be very alarming for some people.

Perhaps give it a try and see if you can distract her with an ipod or other sort of musical/noisy electronic while you do it? There's plenty of time for her to learn to do it herself, for now getting her past the anxiety might be the strongest priority.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

7 years pumping and we still have our moments.
    First, have you tried numbing cream? There is nothing wrong with using it even this late in the game. You do what you need to do.
    I have found that during these times if we do it on her terms, it works best. Don't just spring it on her that you're going to do the change. I know that if she has x amount of units left in the am that we will need a change later in the day. I will tell her that she will need a site change after school. I let her pick the spot for the new site, let her choose where in the house we will do it and let her do something to distract her. Usually that means playing Minecraft:D She also has found that chewing gum while I do the change helps too. I have also had times where she wasn't combative, but definitely not a willing participant. In this case, I will just do a cartridge change with the understanding that at x time, we will do a set change then. Sometimes she'll just so oh forget it and do it all now, or OK and accept the fact it is happening later in the day.

Is her anxiety over the fact it is going to happen, or because it will be painful? My daughter doesn't like the sound that the Insets make. So the distraction approach I talk about above help.

5. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

My daughter is the same way and sometimes I think that site changes are just the time that she allows herself to release all of the emotion and anxiety that she feels in general and doesn't express. I don't know if it helps her, but it helps me to think about it this way. I give her all them comfort and understanding I can muster, knowing that my life was never this difficult.

I agree about the emla cream and the headphones. We have her watch netflix during her site changes and take part in whatever rituals she dreams up. Recently she's been having me put my hands over her ears while she bites down on her blanket.

6. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

We do it when my grandson is asleep and he is very happy to sleep through the whole thing! He sleeps through poking for BG readings and the site change isn't that much different.

7. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Three suggestions.
    1. Have her do a site on you sometime. Maybe let her click the inserta on her own site.
    2. Have her watch different youtube videos of ppl doing site changes. It helps to see you aren't alone. There's like this 7 minute one of this boy trying to press the clicker and he keeps chickening out. It's really funny but he finally does it.
    3. Retail therapy, Baby!! Get some groovy patches or some other fun thing. I just saw the cutest thing on dmine. I don't thing the site is fully running yet but check it out. How cute are those tats?! And they make them for pump sites too. Look, let's be honest. D sucks. Any thing to add some cheer is a good thing.
    http://www.diabetesmine.com/

8. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

I agree with all the comments. Yes, D sucks for our children. If this means an extra TV show or video game to get through the site changes than so be it! :)
    My 9 year old watches a TV show every time we do the changes. He needs the distraction.
    Nicole

9. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

try to do something positive following the site change. For example I would either do it before milk & cookie time or allow her to have a small piece of chocolate and this seemed to work for us at the time. Luckily my daughter grew out of it and we dont have this problem too much anymore.