- advertisement -

another tired mother's vent

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carrie, May 11, 2007.

1. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

Okay...for some reason, our daughter has gone through a box of lancets in less then a month (we use anywhere from 6-10 a day). So, the pharmacy wouldn't fill it without calling for an insurance override. I told them to go ahead and fill it, and I would pick them up tomorrow.

I was gone all day and my husband had the pleasure of intercepting the phone call from the insurance rep. :rolleyes: She's probably lucky I wasn't here to take the call. For some reason, our daughter shot to over 600 last night and stayed up for over an hour. I was still checking BG at 3:30 in the morning. Again...she's probably lucky I didn't take her call! What the insurance rep was doing was calling to let us know that they had ordered more, wanted to know how often we were checking, and to let us know that the lancets could be used more then once!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I say that she's probably lucky I didn't take her call?!? :mad: Due to the work schedule of my husband, I am the primary person that takes care of diabetes stuff, so he didn't have a whole lot of information to give her. I understand that there are some that have no choice but to use them more then once. We have used them more then once, but try not to. I just think it's a good habit to change them each time you check. It does give me the hee-bee-jeebs to do so after seeing the insert pictures of syringe needles used more then once. But come on...you just paid for the full price of an insulin pump but you don't want to pay $7.99 for a box of lancets?!?!? I may still give them a call on Monday or call the endo's office to up the amount we can use per month.

Thanks for listening!

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

You change lancets? I have used the same lancet for like a year! I'm still on the original 10 I got with the meter :eek: :D :cool:
    Some folks only change their lancets when they change their clocks back at daylight savings!

3. mandysue

mandysue New Member

My daughter is 15years old and hardly ever changes her lancet also!!! I have tried to get her to change more often. we have had the same box of lancets now for almost 3years.....

4. mandysue

mandysue New Member

My daughter is 15years old and hardly ever changes her lancet also!!! I have tried to get her to change more often. we have had the same box of lancets now for almost 3years.....

5. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

We changed every single time for the first month or so, until I started reading here that others re-use them. Now we try to remember to change it once a day, but that frequently slips, too.

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

It's not up to the insurance rep to question your use of clean lancets each time you check your daughter and it is wrong for the rep to even suggest you use it more than once. That is your personal decision.

You're not alone with frustrations. Read this one:
    http://www.islet.org/forum/messages/47976.htm

7. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Carrie~
    I'm with you, we change the lancet 99.9% of the time.
    Just think of how dirty that lancet gets being used over and over again- and your going to break your skin open with it? Do you use the same syringe over and over?

8. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I've never heard of anyone getting infected fingers or any other ill effects.. and like 95% of diabetics I know never change their lancet either. I have more interesting things to worry about lol :p I just see it as a huge waste I guess.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  9. Diane14

Diane14 Approved members

We change lancets everytime. The only time we re-use is at school if she needs to do more than the lunchtime check as they don't have a sharps bin there. Also if we run out before I get a chance to get the repreat presciption. If you can get a dodgey reading from unclean hands, surely you can get one from unclean lancets. I certainly don't think that the insurance company should be suggesting it, only to let you know that you don't need to panic that you have run out, you can re-use for time being.

10. wellsfamily

wellsfamily Approved members

I am in shock that some people don't change every time. I have never NOT used a new one. Even if you aren't worried about infection, don't you think your skin is getting shredded by a dull lancet? I feel so bad for my little guy's fingertips, that I will take every precaution to ensure they have the least amount of damage.

11. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

Sorry...I'm all for changing them each time. I guess I'm thinking more of those precious, black-dotted, little fingertips that take enough trauma as it is! :( Those lancets have got to dull. I cringe every time that clicker ca-chings into her with a new lancet. Germs are a side thought for me. It is kinda of a gross thought to keep re-using the thing.

As far as the insurance rep goes...I'm sure a majority of them don't know a whole lot about specific medical conditions that they are called about each day. They also wouldn't pay for the inserter that puts in Minimed's Quicksets ($24.95). Speaking of wasting time...I had to spend at least 10-15 minutes explaining what the thing was to a couple different insurance people. How can you deny paying what you don't even know what people are asking about? And unless you yourself are a diabetic, how can you make "suggestions" on how to care for someone. Especially a child!!!

12. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

Our diabetes educator told us that our son could either change the lancet every time or when ever it got dull provided he and only he used that lancet. Just exactly why it's OK to reuse a lancet but not a syringe, I don't know the difference either at least not yet.

13. Noel

Noel Approved members

The issue isn't whether or not you change the lancet every time thie issue is the fact that a CHILD with diabetes needs to test frequently in order to maintain control of bood sugars!!! IF blood sugars are uncontrolled we all know what can happen and that will cost the darn insurance company a heck of a lot more money than the box of lancets!

Maybe you should remind the insurance company of how much a 2-3 day hospital stay in the PICU costs.

The insurance companies just burn me up....they preach preventative/maintenance to subscribers and then when you try to do just that they deny you!!!! UGH!!!!!!!! (Can you tell I have been on the CGM fight lately?)

14. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

To each their own. I can understand why some people feel the need to change lancets with every single check, I am not about to question them for making that choice.

We try to change once a day, which is the method recommended to us by our endo. Sometimes we slip up, no biggie. For me it isn't an issue of the price for an extra box of lancets. There are so many things to think about with D, something is bound to give. I'd rather it be not changing her lancet that forgetting to bolus or count carbs. You've heard the saying, don't sweat the small stuff. To me this is a small thing. D is so intense, not every little aspect of it needs to be a life or death decision.

So far my daughter has not had a single issue with her fingers. They don't hurt, they aren't infected, they aren't even that noticeable most of the time. Are they caloused in places? You bet. But so are the fingers of guitar players. It isn't a tragedy. She'll live.

15. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Well, said Noel!:D

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have such a stockpile of lancets that I don't think I'll need to reorder them for a few years - LOL! That was one of the things our previous mail order company (no need to name them as I don't want to be flamed again!) sent us too many of monthly. What a waste of money, IMO.

I try to remember to change them daily but......... well, we know how that goes! ;)

17. hallenbeckfamily

hallenbeckfamily Approved members

Our Endo said depending on how many pokes you do could go up to a week. 4 pokes a day could go a week, I should say. we check bg 7-12 times a day,depending on situation so we change it every other day. Chris has never had a time it was hard to poke thru cause it was dull, or hurt cause it was dull so for now we will continue. Also every day I wipe the tip off with alcohol. Honestly with everything I do dealing not only with D but the house,dog,school two other kids ect ect I don't think i would remember to change everyday. Jennifer