- advertisement -

Another success with Jules All-purpose GF flour

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by Caldercup, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

2. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Okay, so I was just looking at the Jules website, and the pics look like ACTUAL real non-GF foods...
    How's the texture of stuff made with this flour though?
    I noticed no bean flours included, so hopefully no funky taste in there?
    Might have to get some of this and try GF baking more... Iused to bake a lot, but since going no gluten, then very minimal gluten, I haven't been doing ANY baking... and I'm missing it.

3. Caldercup

I believe it's mostly potato starch, tapioca starch and rice flour -- so there's no bean flours and no "old feet" taste. There's also not alot of nutrition, but... hey... I'm making cookies and sweets, so I don't expect nutrition. ;) The texture of things works out great! Not gritty, very well ground flours, and somewhat powdery.

And it makes a decent roux!

There's also something in it called expandex, so people who are sensitive to the gums (guar and xanthan) might find it problematic.

It's a 1-for-1 replacement in regular recipes. If using GF recipes, then I'd reduce or elimate the gums.

(I'm not an employee of Jules, nor do I have a relationship with her -- I'm just an honest fan!)

A lot of people have been talking about "BetterBatter" flour. Anyone tried that?

4. Paula+four

Paula+four Approved members

We love Jules flour too. It was amazing the first time I made chocolate chip cookies using her flour and recipe. They actually cooked normally and tasted great. All my other attempts with different flours were just so-so.

5. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I use better batter. I think it's a really great all purpose flour. I have done lots of baking with it and used it as a cup for cup replacement. I had popovers for the first time in years tasted just like the gluten version I remember.

I would give it a try.... You will be pleasantly surprised :)

6. Caldercup

Thanks for the review of Better Batter!

While I love Jules, the shipping can be expensive and Better Batter is available through my local Whole Foods.