- advertisement -

Another sibling concern/question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samheis, Jul 2, 2009.

1. samheis

samheis Approved members

When my daughter was 3 months old, I checked her, then had no idea what to do with the number, realized it was fine, and swore to leave it be unless she shows signs.
    Then last month her ped told me to start giving her apple juice to help with constipation. So me being me, I decided to test her 5 minutes after she drank the juice. 249. Hmmm. (ok really my heart stopped, but I'll keep the emotions out of this). I checked again within 15 minutes, it was down to 146.
    For the last 4 weeks, about once a week, I've done random checks about 30 minutes after she's eaten something high carb, and gotten at least 4 more numbers over 200, that always come back down within 15 minutes.
    Reading posts on here for the past year I know other parents have encountered a second diagnosis. I'm hoping to get some input on if you had these semi-high numbers at first? When do the actual symptoms show up?
    I have not brought this up with her pediatrician for personal reasons, but I do plan to mention it at Sam's next endo apt. in August.
    Mostly I'm not sure if it is normal for non-d's to have their blood sugar ever go over 200.
    So any experiences or input as always is appreciated.
    But please, I'm feeling sensitive, so keep the claws in if you don't approve of me checking my non-d child : )

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Anita, I hope you can always feel comfortable coming in here with your questions and concerns. Im not sure about children, I know Ive tested my own blood several times about 1/2 hour after eating and its always under 100 but maybe young children are different? maybe it takes more time for their little pancreas to spit out the insulin. Im just not sure of this but hopefully someone else in here can give some input. Is there any info online that says what a young babys blood sugar should be after having something high carb? I think alot of the problems with knowing the answer is that most non-d kids arent tested after eating so no one is sure what their blood sugars are.

3. etringali

etringali Approved members

Everyone's BG's go up after eating. If you feel she needs to be checked, wait till 2 hours after eating/drinking. In theory, that is when your BG will hit it's high point. from what you wrote, sounds like everything is working just fine.

4. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

My situation is a little different, as I'm a type 1 parent and the statistics are higher for a sibling than a child of a type 1 mother. But I've seen BGs in the mid-300s with my oldest son (his first ear infection as an infant, six years ago), and mid-180s with my younger son (couple months ago). My younger son actually had increase thirst and urination, which was what prompted me to test him. The BGs in the 180s actually worried me MORE than the ones in the 300s I had gotten with my older son, because they lingered longer than the 300s did. I checked Will after lunch (and what seemed like five cups of fluid) and he was 186, retest with rewashed hands, 189, an hour later, 184, half an hour, still 180s. We went to the pediatrician for tests the next day (a1c, glucose) and came back with an a1c of 5.6 and a glucose of 110. I was told that all is well, but that they want me to periodically check him every month or every other month to keep an eye on any changes, or more symptoms. He gets another a1c in november, as a follow-up.

In everything I've read, it's not normal for a non-d to have anything over 140 after eating (at any point after eating), unless they're ill, injured, or on a med like steroids.

I would definitely mention this to the endo if you're not comfortable with the ped. BGs like that aren't "normal", even if they eventually come back into range. Hopefully, the endo would be able to help you.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

If I were you, I would call the Endo's office today and run it by them. They should know for sure whether that is normal or not:confused:

6. samheis

samheis Approved members

I hear you. It's my worst habit-I'm a 'don't bother them' type of person.:(
    I've been telling myself that if it were to develop into D, I would be aware of the symptoms before it became dka.
    I've been struggling with this privately for a month-not even my husband knows, and was hoping to get a better idea on here if it was really something to act on I guess?

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

I would be worried. I would mention that she has had problems with constipation. It seems like I've read that constipation is sometimes a problem before diagnosis. I would assume that is because of the loss of fluid from time spent at higher than normal blood sugar levels.

I'm so sorry you have this to worry about.:(

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Call them, it's their job for them to be there for you to call. If it's bad news, you will deal with it, if it's good news...You can relax:cwds: Call them now woman!;):D Then let us know what they said I we can all learn something...:cwds:

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

How old is she now?? At 1year she can participate in the Trail net study, which IS a blood draw. I just had my 13 month old tested but have not gotten the results yet. I have tested her on occasion but never gotted a higher than 110 reading, although it was not afer food consumption just with concers about thirst and breastfeeding. Also she had a tummy bug back in April and ran HIGH 2.5-3.0 ketones that did not let up for a week and did lose wheight, so I am concerned that something may be starting and my D dd had her onset at this age. I also beleive that following siblings threw this study and IF they have an onset that this information and early detection my lead to a better understanding and cure in sooner rather than later without this information.

To answer your question, I do not beleive that a non d should/would spike to above 180 normally. But I am not sure of this. I do think thow that since she comes down that it may not be that big of an issue now.

10. etringali

etringali Approved members

Really? Explains alex. Poor kid couldn't poop on his own the first year of hi slife.

11. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Bayer now sells the home a1c tests at walgreens for 30 bucks.
    If it was my child i'd run the 5 minute a1c test. If it showed over 6.0 I'd call the endo and ask to bring the child in. When they are not in dka, and bg is still coming down on it's own, sometimes it is harder for the endos to see.

I hope it is nothing to worry about.

12. mamort

mamort Approved members

The first time I checked my daughter she was 580, after a cereal bar. Needless to say we called the endo, and met him in the ER and was diagnosed. I tested myself today after my son requested that I act like I had diabetes for a week so I can feel what he feels with all of the finger sticks. After 2 small apple cinnimon muffins and a Diet ( what can I say I'm addicted) I was 112. So if it is over 200 I would call, and see what they have to say. Sorry.
    Melissa

13. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I'm sorry you have to have this fear. I remember well checking Travis, but the meter read "HI" so I knew that that wasn't good or normal. Definitely call and have her checked out. Maybe they can rule it right out and you can rest easy.

14. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Charlotte has always been constipated too. Still is sometimes, poor girl. :(

15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Approved members

Jen had the constipation problems too prior to dx.

I have been concerned about my oldest. She has been showing some symptoms that concern me. I called the endo and told her her numbers were in the 140s she said that was a "concern" and a little high. So now we have had her tested and she is positive for 1 of the antibodies...

With numbers as high as you are seeing I would be on the phone.

Saying a prayer for you and yours.