- advertisement -

Another question about pens

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ginagbaby1, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I posted a few days ago about us getting the Novalog and Lantus pens soon. (We are seeing our Endo next week) and I forgot to ask you guys a couple more questions.

Do the pens/cartridges need to be kept refrigerated? When we are out do we need put them in with an ice pack?

Right now we mix the Lantus with David's Novalog dinner dose in one syringe so that he only has to get poked once. I know that with the pens you cannot combine them but can we still do the syringes for dinner (unless we are at a restaurant-then for convenience I'd probably do the pens).

Thank you,
    Gina

2. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We do not store our open containers in the fridge, but do keep the closed ones in there. The only time we put them in a cooler or with an ice pack is if we're going to be outside in the Spring/Summer (It's hot in Texas *lol*).

I could be completely wrong on this, but I know our endo told us to specifically NOT mix Lantus/Novolog. I couldn't not say something because I'm guessing there's a good reason.

3. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We were always told never to mix novolog and Lantus together. It weakens the strength of both I believe it was.

We did keep our pens cool but not cold when we used them.

4. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

pen being used that month, we kept out, other pens, in the fridge.

I second the lantus/novalog mix... it was ingrained to us, not to ever mix them. I think becouse the lantus crystalizes under the skin for slower release, and that could mess up the novalog, delaying the release??? (I could be wrong... its been well over a year since we started pumping)

5. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Refrigerate the ones not in use - in use stay at room temp. I only used a Frio Bag or ice pack in really hot weather while out if outside for long periods of time.
    As far as mixxing we were told not to but if you have already been doing it you still can but would not be able to use the same pens for injections and withdrawing to a syringe because it messes up the dosing in my experience.

6. rare

rare Approved members

We refrigerated the box of pens and left out the ones currently in use so they were always at room temp. We never mixed them together because we were told not to. I don't remember the reason other than it somehow screws up the lantus.

7. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

What they said! ;)

We made the mistake of not keeping our pens cool enough while we were out and about over Spring Break (Sea World, San Diego Zoo). We noticed her numbers going way up after we got back and figured the insulin must have been breaking down because the pens got too warm. Oh well, lesson learned! :rolleyes: I have since purchased a FRIO pouch for her pens for future use. We are in Arizona and our summers are HOT!

8. suz

suz Approved members

How do you manage this when using a pump? Isn't the insulin within that at risk of spoiling on hot days? We're in Texas and will hopefully be switching to a pump in a month or so.....

9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I was thinking the same thing. We're in the same boat, so to speak.

Fortunately, we are not out that long in the heat during the summer and are usually in an air conditioned vehicle. However, I did buy a FRIO pump envelope to put her pump in if we are out for long periods of time.

10. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Just keep the pen it self out and the extra cartridges stay in the fridge till they are needed. I am with everyone else about not mixing the lantus and novolog. It clearly stats on the bottle of lantus to not mix with other insulins. The other thing too, is for our insurance since we get the pens for the novolog they wont let us have vials of it. Same thing happens with the lantus when we get pens of those.

11. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I've wondered about the pump & the heat as well. We don't have a pump now, and no real plans of getting one anytime soon, but I have no idea how it wouldn't completely ruin insulin. My son loves being outside, it doesn't matter if it's 100+, and I have no idea how the insulin wouldn't ruin. =/

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

13. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

When Elizabeth was diagnosed, our endo told us we could mix Lantus & Novolog. They said that studies had shown it was ok, especially if the amount of Lantus was twice the amount of Novolog.

That being said, we followed the manufacturers directions and NEVER mixed the two.

When using the pen we tried to keep it cool, but definitely not refrigerated. We only put the unopened cartridges in the fridge.

She only started pumping in November, so we've only had cool months to worry about. Now I'm wondering how it's going to work here in the summer (it's very hot where we live). Hmm...

14. 22jules

22jules Approved members

FWIW when we were doing MDI we always mixed the lantus and humalog.