- advertisement -

another pump site question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom24grlz, Nov 11, 2010.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Is putting in a pump site similar to an IV site, or not so bad? my reason for asking is Ashleigh does not handle IV changes very well at all. Her BP drops, heartbeat goes down to the 40s and she falls asleep. She says she can hear people talking to her but she can't move her body or respond to us. I don't want her doing this every time we have to do a site change on her pump. It scares me half to death, I don't think my heart could handle seeing this multiple times a week.

2. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

It isn't nearly as bad as an IV. My son is terrified of IV and bloodwork but has no problem with site changes. We do also use the numbing cream so he literally feels nothing.

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Nooooo inserting a pump site is most definitely not like an IV! There are devices that insert it for you. The needles are barely larger than an insulin syringe and just slip under the skin in the subcutaneous fat and are then removed.

Like this:

[​IMG]

ETA: This is a Quick-serter insertion device. You just push the buttons on the side and the site is inserted automatically. You remove the device and needle, and just the site with a small thin plastic canulla remains in the skin like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Not in the least. Nothing like an IV. Please ask your endo for some infusion set samples so that you can see for yourself the size of the introducer needle and or the canula. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. ;)

5. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Here is also a really good site that shows pictures of the entire process.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

thanks everyone for the pictures and links. I'll show those to Ashleigh when she gets home from school.

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We use the Omnipod, and literally see nothing. We don't see/touch any needles at all. That was a HUGE deal for my son.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use the Inset infusion set and it's really very simple. I have actually worn it, and mind you I have a fair amount of flab, but it wasn't too bad.

What's nice with the Inset is that the needle is self contained right in the inerter, so the child doesn't even see the needle going in. You put the pod over the skin and press. It pops in with a small click sound.

Here's a link to the overview:

http://www.animas.com/sites/default/files/inset/inset_productoverview/main.html

We started using these at age 4, and she never freaked out by them, if that helps.

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Putting in a site is more like a shot than an IV insertion. The analogy of site to IV should never have been made to your daughter.