- advertisement -

Another newbie here...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by momof2greatkids, Jan 4, 2011.

1. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Hi, everyone - My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 last month. Since my husband has Type 1, we were able to catch it before she got sick. She was losing weight and drinking a lot. Even with what we knew, we were still shocked with her diagnosis.

We've been lucky so far. Audrey is doing amazing, and tests her blood and gives her own shots (except the Lantus - I give it). We have a great doctor (and an awesome nurse). BGs have been really good, too. The thing that scares me is that I know there will be bad times, and we won't necessarily see them coming. I'm scared and sad to think that eventually, Audrey will have a bad low, and don't want her to go through that. That's what I hate most about diabetes - doing everything by the book doesn't ensure consistent results. That just doesn't fit my nature.

We would love to see Audrey on a pump, but she is resistent. She says the shots don't bother her, and she doesn't want a pump. I think what it comes down to is that she doesn't want to wear the pump. We, and the doctor, have talked about different ways to wear the pump that are more discreet, but she isn't too interested. I think if someone comes out with smaller tubeless pump, she would be interested. She would have so much more freedom and control with the pump, but it's ultimately her decision.

Since I've been reading on this board, I've been surprised by how many of you have multiple family members with Type 1. The endo in the hospital and a diabetes educator I know have both said it's very rare to see a family history of Type 1.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm sure I'll have questions, but hopefully I'll be able to contribute some, too. I'm so thankful to have resources like this available - I've learned so much from you all already!

2. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear about a 2nd diagnosis in your family. While no diagnosis offers any good news, the positive side (like there ever IS a positive side) is that you have T1 experience already from your husband so your daughter will benefit from your experience.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

About 1 in 9 people in the US with type 1 diabetes has a close family member with type 1 diabetes.

If your husband has been having severe lows and you are afraid to see those in your daughter, I want to say that many people with diabetes never have seizures or pass out from low blood sugars. It may not happen to your daughter. You mentioned a pump- I would think a CGMS would be even more useful (somewhere down the road) in preventing severe hypoglycemia.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I thoroughly agree with Jonah. If i had to choose between a pump and a cgms I would choose a cgms. Is your daughter quite stable at the moment? It might just take a while for her to get used to "everything". It is a huge change in her life and she will be at the stage where she wants to be more independent. The pump might just be a reminder to her that she has diabetes. Have you read about the Calibra Finesse. That might be a good start to pumping - looks very small. I don't know when it is going to be available but they are signing people up for news releases.

I hope you get on well - it sounds as though everything is under control and there is no need for everything to "turn to custard" - especially if you can get a cgms.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

while your husband and you may "see" the benefit of a pump or cgm she still is a newly dx kid. Give her time to figure it out on her own. :)

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

In the hospital, Molly was offered the chance to go directly on the pump through a study at the endo's center. She was so overwhelmed by the whole thing that she declined the offer. Two months later, she regretted the decision and wanted to get on the pump asap because she is a snacker and was feeling SOOOOO deprived about just eating 3 times a day :)...She got on the pump after her third month and it's been such a joy, but I don't know if she would have appreciated it as much has she not gone through the MDI before hand.

Another thing to consider is that maybe she see's her dad wearing the pump and because of that, isn't as interested (that old teen-ager being contrary especially when it has to do with anything the parents do!!). Just something to consider. Maybe if she goes to diabetes camp and sees the freedom other kids have with it, she might be more interested. At any rate...hope things continue to go well with you and your family dealing with the new dx!

7. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Thanks for your suggestions! I read up on the Calibra Finesse, and I think it might be something Audrey would be really interested in when it becomes available. Sounds like it would give her a more flexibility for snacking than she has now, and would give her an idea of what a pump would be like.

My husband has been on a pump for five years, and hasn't had any bad lows since being on it. There were a handful of times prior to the pump when he went really low. It sounds like it can be really scary, and I hate the thought of Audrey feeling that way. Audrey's blood sugars have been really good so far, with the lowest being in the upper 60's. She feels a little shaky when she starts going low, and has known to test her blood and get something to eat to bring it up.

I should read up on CGM's. Paul had talked to his doctor about them a year or so ago, and she hadn't thought they were where they should be at that time, and hadn't recommended getting one. He did a short test with one just so the doctor could get results, but hasn't ever considered one for regular use. I thought I had read somewhere (before all this happened with Audrey) that 80% of the people who started with a CGM, discontinued use, but I may be way off on that.

Thanks for everyone's input!

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Welcome Tori. I am sorry to hear about your daughters dx.

My son was dx'd a few days after his 16th birthday. He wanted nothing to do with a pump for a long time. I would mention little things about them in passing. One day he had just had enough with the shots and decided it was time for a pump. The only regret he has is not going on it sooner. He is on the Animas Ping.

Best of luck to all of you.