advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Middle School "How do you guys do it" question..PE

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by MamaBear, Mar 27, 2012.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

So here I am with more how will we get through middle school question. My stressed out little mind has been worried over PE, swimming in particular. PE in 5th grade last year was hard enough when all he had to do was test 20 mins before hand. Now I'm scared about how he will handle testing and PE when he has to dress out for it, and in particular as I said, swimming. The pool is not on campus, but at a park 1/4 mile away. The kids dress out walk with their towels and the teacher to this park, swim, walk back the 1/4 when it's time to go back. My daughter said when she attended that kids do have the choice not to swim, but they do still have to dress out and walk to the park, they just have to play tennis or basketball or run laps instead of swimming, then walk back the 1/4 mile when the rest of the class does. I'm worried about the fact that so much activity usually drops him, especially swimming. I'm worried that he may be caught up testing and end up walking there late by himself. I'm worried that if he does swim how would he be able to take a meter and tabs with him? And since it is triple digit weather out here when they swim, where would he keep the meter and strips to keep them from frying? And where would he keep tabs or a snack? Do any of your kids have to walk to a pool for PE? How do you handle this? Any middle schoolers or high schoolers reading this, how do YOU handle your PE situations? Thanks.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Middle school PE was a bit of a problem for us. They didn't swim but the school had rotating block schedule. So she had PE every other day for 90 mins but not at the same time. She took her meter and tabs out with her to whatever they were doing. The teacher would hold them for her while she participated.

If she was under 100ish before starting she'd have an uncovered snack before class. And she hates running so in middle school she went to the nurses office often to get out of it :rolleyes: Luckily she had a great nurse who was onto her and would send her back out.

Last year as a freshman they have PE at the same time 3 days a week then a longer period of it one day. Her PE teacher asked if he could have some tabs and kept them in his clipboard. She's on the pod but would take just a meter out with her to test if she felt she was going low. This year she has Modern Dance for PE and honestly I have no idea what she takes to the gym with her but she hasn't had any real issues with it.

3. MamaBear

I do know the middle school here does PE at the same time every day. I just have no clue how to handle the whole walking to the pool, swimming, walking back thing. When we swim at home he needs a snack before hand and a snack during and a snack after. This whole thing really has me in knots. :(

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The swim rotation in PE here is, I think, 5 weeks. During that time Maddie goes in with the other PE class that meets at that time and does whatever they are doing in that segment.

It's the one concession that I make to diabetes in school. The list of "cons" was just too long to make it worthwhile.

If my dd adored swimming I might have found a way to make it work, but she doesn't and that, plus the lack of security for her pump, the fact that water messes with her site, that she didn't feel comfortable exposing her infusion set in the locker room, well it all added up and was the right choice for us.

Good luck!

5. MamaBear

Thank you. I have been wanting to speak with someone at the school and see if this is an option for him. I really feel like the whole swimming/walking arrangement at this school is just a severe low + ambulance ride waiting to happen. I have honestly been stressing silently about this for the past 6 months or so. :( I so hope we can work something out like you have.

6. MamaBear

I did just ask him if he wants to do swimming at all for PE. The answer is "no". So I guess I need to find out who I meet with to set up some kind of alternative. PE is only required for one year of Middle School here. Hopefully we can get through that one year without too many hitches.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There is no reason he can't do this for PE as well. I would use Gatorade. Drink one before he leaves and have him take two with him. Drink in the middle and then before he walks back.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

FWIW, I didn't ask, I just told the school that for numerous reasons we needed to find an alternative to swimming. They were very cooperative. If we didn't have to option of joining the other PE class then it might have required more thought on all our parts.

I don't like to "give in" to D, but for us, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

9. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

Maybe you can find out if there will be multiple class periods for his grade to have PE. Then if one time would seem like it would work best, like 1st hour or right after lunch, you could request that class for him. If he has a class right before PE, maybe he could leave that class early to test (unless he tests in the classroom). I would probably try to get an extra meter and have the gym teacher be responsible for carrying the meter and snacks to and from the pool, so your son doesn't have to worry about remembering.

Audrey typically drops when swimming, but hasn't had that problem when swimming in gym class because the amount of time they are actually in the water being active is minimal when you consider the time at the start and end of class to change clothes (and in your school's case, to walk to and from the pool).

Preparing for all the changes with middle school can be overwhelming!

10. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

We haven't dealt with this in middle school, but have been dealing with lows during elementary PE. In Sophie's 504, we put in that the Gym Caoches must provide us with lessons plans each week so we know how much activity will be going on. 90% it's fine, but like jump roping really made it harder for her.

My suggestion would be to find out exactly how much time he'd be in the pool, the time it would take to walk there and back, and treat him with juice or something before hand, make sure he has some on him. Maybe even take him to the school on the weekend and walk it together.

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My dd walks from the middle school to the pool, which is nowhere close to 1/4 mile but it's long enough to add to the problem if she's already low-ish.

PE for her is every day for 40 minutes. They swim for a 6 week session. If she doesn't swim, she has to run the bleachers at the indoor pool....much worse on BGs than swimming would be, at least for her.

A snack before leaving the school, Gatorade during swimming, & sometimes a snack after.
    Basals running at a lower rate for at least an hour & a half before.

We battled lows no matter what the activity last year. Swimming almost always makes her go low. This year, I'd be happy if she swam every day. lol Her numbers were that good.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son is in middle school and a lot of times they go outside to the football field for PE. He carries his D bag (a drawstring sling bag) with him EVERYWHERE in school, with PE being no different. He has juice, tabs & meter with him at all times. During PE he leaves it on the sidelines. I would imagine you could do the same with your son.

Here is a pix of the bag he carries.... http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-319707/pgid-319706

13. MamaBear

When he was in PE for 5th grade EVERY activity no matter how small sent him low. Yesterday he went from 227 to 70 from just 20 minutes of walking the dog. Excercise drops him like a rock! This is what scares me so much with the walk and swim thing.

That is a good idea though (from other page I left the quote out..oops) to walk it over the weekend and see how long it takes.

He does have a bag just like this. I think if he remembered to take it that would be fine. My two worries with that are the heat, it would be around 115 during the days they would be swimming, and this is an outdoor pool. Not sure if they have tables to set stuff on. My other concern would be jerky kids. My daughter used to tell me that there was a group of kids in her PE class who got in trouble EVERY day for throwing other kid's stuff into the pool. Sigh am I over thinking this? :(

We went today to get his registration packet and list of electives. The new thing at the school is that PE is only required for one semester in 7th grade (so weird it was required for me from 7th grade through junior year of HS). They excuse a child from the required one semester of PE if they take a full year of band. HUH? :confused: Um ok. He said he'd rather take PE than band.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  14. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Maybe the PE teacher can be responsible for holding his bag? They do have backpacks with insulated sections, maybe that would help keep everything cool?

I know in High School marching band can count as a PE class.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well, as far as "jerky kids" are concerned, if anyone was to touch my son's bag, their ass would be in the principal's office for destruction of property. Period. I have no patience for stuff like this. :mad:

The heat I can't help you with. ;) Here in Virginia, they are so over-protective that they would probably cancel school if it was that hot, lol. :rolleyes: ;)

16. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Same here.

We haven't changed the 504 plan much since 5th grade, when we actually had to have something in there that said dd didn't have to carry her bag on the playground, during PE etc & that the adult in charge would be fully responsible for her bag/pump. Her bag (with pump & Dexcom inside) stay on the bleachers during swimming & even in the gym. When they go to the track in spring, it stays on the sidelines with the coach.

I don't think you're over thinking...just planning ahead. ;)

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I guess I'm not totally sure that I'd use diabetes as an excuse not to do something that you are able to do and would have to do if you didn't have D. Totally not being judgemental, since I've never been a parent with D. I'm literally just thinking about what I think I would do in the future if I had a child with T1.

Personally, I'd really want to guard against my child thinking that they can use diabetes to get out of doing something that they don't want to do, or against them thinking that diabetes stops them from doing something that they want to do. Swimming in a school setting is probably one of the safest times he will swim, with a teacher and all of his classmates around to notice if something goes wrong. I'd ask the teacher to carry his meter and glucose in some kind of small coolbox or lunch bag with an ice pack in, would that work?

As for going low with a 1/4 mile walk, 1/4 mile is REALLY not far. That's about a 4 minute walk. Unless he doesn't walk around at all, I would think he'd be okay for that. Of course, YDMV and if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't work for you.

Actually, the issue with being embarrassed about the infusion set seems like one of the most valid reasons for a child not to do swimming. However, I would think that it's usually possible to hide it, and if your child is on MDI then that isn't really relevant.

All just my humble opinion, and totally hypothetical. :p

18. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Based on my experience in HS in a swimming class where the teacher would hand us a ball and then go into his office to read the newspaper for the rest of the class, I wouldn't necessarily consider a school a safe environment for a diabetic swimmer unless they are fully old enough and aware enough to realize that they need to be responsible on their own to do a BG check every 20 minutes or so. We're not facing a situation like this, so for me, as well, it's hypothetical, but when I take my daughter swimming (she's a fish) with her friends, she has no concept of time passing while she's in the pool. She's always amazed when I interrupt again for a BG check. At this point, I'm almost always the parent that takes the girls. She's gone once without me...and hit a 37 without feeling it. I'd told the mom to have her check at 30 minutes. Thank goodness I had...and that's when we began checking at 20 minutes instead. For now, having me there is still her comfort level.

In jr. high, we were also required to shower entirely naked in front of the teachers while they marked in their lesson books that we actually showered. We were so thankful to move up to HS where we no longer had to wear standardized uniforms and were trusted to shower. There's NO WAY a girl could have hide an infusion site in my class.:(

19. MamaBear

And this is one of my concerns, how well IS the teacher watching? When my daughter would come home every day for weeks and weeks telling me that those same kids got in trouble for throwing other children's belongings (their dry clothes, towels, shoes) into the pool again, my first question every time was "where was the teacher when they were doing all of this?" Her answer every time was "I don't know." That doesn't fill me with much confidence.

20. sven

sven Approved members

granolar bars

some bars have worked well for my son especially the ones with some protein and fat , say peanut based . my son is in ms and likes sports but tends to go low after all the sports , typically 20-30 after he drops very fast . he carries is test kit and puts in on the side and have sugar tabs in pocket but 10 gr of granola bar for every 20-30 min of sports seem to balance it out . Another is gator aid , mix it your self . remind he to check or compensate well after the activity . thanks and all the best /