- advertisement -

Another kid tried to rip out his infusion site and cgms sensor

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by selketine, Oct 7, 2011.

1. selketine

selketine Approved members

Resolution** see post 60 - was Another kid tried to rip out his infusion site and cgms sensor

Resolution - see post 60.:)

A student in the same grade as William attacked him today at school during recess and repeatedly punched him where his infusion set is and tried to pull it out. The kid had the cord and was pulling at it. He also tried to pull off his sensor (Dexcom).

William was in a lot of pain from his set and I changed it out (I was at the school when it happened working at the book fair). His sensor is still working but the tape is a bit loose. He has run really high the rest of the day - from some combo of missed insulin and stress I guess. He was really upset and traumatized by the whole thing.

Any experience with this at school and what did the school do with the other student in terms of disciplinary actions/suspension/expulsion?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Carol I'm so sorry and so shocked that a peer could behave so.

I hope that the school responds with due seriousness. Again, I'm so sorry that your William experienced something so cruel. :(:mad:

3. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Oh my...I am so sorry he had to go through that. As if they don't endure enough. I wish I could help but ds is still young.

I would put pressure on the school for harsh disciplinary action. That boy attacked your poor son and tried to pull out the medical device that keeps him alive. I am so upset for you guys right now. Don't back down until you get the response you want.

4. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I am so saddened to read that William endured that!:(:eek:

I would guess that the school would be looking at some very serious consequences.

5. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

That child should be kicked out for good! I would want him GONE! Im so sorry that happened. Thank goodness you were there during what Im sure was such a scary time for your son... (((HUGS)))

6. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

The child should receive either in school or out of school suspension for a number of days and also have to attend some sort of anger management classes. I would definitely pursue this with the school to make sure that child is punished.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh yes I agree! This is bullying but much more serious. This boy must be made to understand that he cannot ever touch your sons insulin pump. He is way too old for such behavior:(

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

How is William now? Did he say what might have prompted the kid to do this?
    I am so sorry this happened.
    We had a teasing incident regarding diabetes and it was taken very seriously. The kid was brought in, spoken to and had to meet with and apologize to my daughter. Now this wasn't even close to what happened to William, but the school was proactive with discipline.
    I would expect nothing less than in school suspension (I don't believe in home suspension as I don't think some kids/parents take it seriously). The kid should also loose recess privileges for a while.
    The school also needs to have a meeting with both sets of parents. Why would a kid want to do this?
    Please keep us posted.

9. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

OMG I am so sorry. I cannot imagine how heart breaking that was to hear about. Thank goodness you were close and able to help your son through everything. If the school does not at the very least suspend the student who attacked your son for several days, followed by a strict behavior plan, they are not abiding by school policies set by federal laws which state that every child has the right to a SAFE school environment. (Yes, school laws are set at the state level, but they cannot circumvent federal protections.) In the school I previously worked at, he would without a doubt be expelled.

I still cannot believe this happened. I hope he's doing okay, and that the school provides him with some support and tangible assurances this will not happen again.

10. selketine

selketine Approved members

William saw this kid doing something he wasn't supposed to do at recess and the kid knew that he was going to tell on him (long story there but William didn't tease or touch him). William is 9 and I suppose the other kid is 9 or 10.

From what I can tell by looking at our school district policies, they can give up to a 10 day in or out of school suspension at their discretion based on the incident. Anything more than 10 days requires much more approval and oversight.

I did call the police and the person who answered the phone said if it was her she would go to the courthouse and file assault charges. The officer who came said due to the child's age that they can't do assault but I could seek a restraining order, etc.

There is some history with this child and William from last year and the short of it was that this child was bullying William (and a few others) with VERY explicit language involving scenarios (you like to X with Y) that were absolutely jaw dropping coming from a kid that young.

William has a 504 and I don't typically have issues with the school. Man it has been a long day....

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

OH my gosh! I am so sorry that happened to him. :(:mad: I hope that the school does step up and discipline this child to the fullest extent. And honestly as this child has been a problem in the past, and it has progressed to this point, maybe what that cop suggested, a restraining order or injunction against harassment would be a good idea.

12. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Completely agree...

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wow! What was done in this particular situation? Please tell me the school addressed that...

14. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

wow what a awful thing:mad:..very sorry that this happened..Like what all the others have posted, I do hope the school does the right thing..
    we had a situation last year were a boy punched Blake in his tummy right on his site..I went up to the school and raised a hugh stink. We explaned to the child what he did and why it was so bad..His parents took action and so did the school..suspened for a few days.. again so sorry I hope your son is doing better..

15. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

That's horrible! I can't imagine how terrible you feel right now. I truly hope that this kid will be taught that this is not acceptable!!!

I would really like to know what the school is doing about it.

16. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

holy crap, I agree with the restraining order. I wore a back brace as a kid for severe scoliosis and I got attacked by a girl a year or two older than me-she picked me up by the brace and swung me around. She told everyone she did it because my dog crapped in her yard, but I didn't even have a dog!

My teacher was married to a cop and I never knew what he said to her, but he did approach her in uniform w/the cop car and she never even looked or talked at me again. I really don't get how kids can be so vicious :( I hope he's ok! Maybe you can get something with attempt to damage property too? I'm tired (like everyone else here) so I don't know if there's any law against that or what the technical term would be.

17. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

That is horrible!!! Just horrible! Hugs to you and your son!

18. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

What you have described is assault - repeatedly punching someone is assault. Trying to remove medical devices is assault. Totally outrageous. If the child is 9 or 10 and the authorities do not feel they can legally charge him with assault that is one thing, but it doesn't change the fact that the child has committed a totally unacceptable attack. To make sure he realizes the seriousness of his actions he needs to be suspended - 10 days would be good. But the school also needs to figure out a way to make sure that nothing like this happens again. The school does not need to get a restraining order in court - they already have the authority to forbid this child from touching, talking, being within 10 feet of your son, whatever would work. If he has a history of beating up other children he may need to be removed from the school.

19. sooz

sooz Approved members

Honestly, I was going to say that the police should be called and I am glad you did that. What he did was a crime, not a school house scuffle. This child sounds really out of control on many levels. Suspending him from school for 10 days is not going to change that. If the police wont/cant do anything perhaps Child Protective Services should be called to do an assessment of the kid's home. Something is wrong. I think having a policeman talk to him would be a great idea. If he is doing this at age 9 what will he be doing at 15 when he is bigger and stronger. How horrible that your son had to endure this.

20. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

I'm so sorry this happened. What an awful experience for both you and your son!

I hope the school follows up appropriately with strong disciplinary action.:mad:

Christine