- advertisement -

Another introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by twintype1s, Jun 4, 2010.

1. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

I've been reading on and off for a few months and figured it was time to introduce myself. My name is Tammy and I have 9 yo identical twin sons. Jack was diagnosed w/ type 1 last August. He'd been having the typical symptoms. A friend with a type 1 son did a finger stick at our daughters' soccer game, and he was 598. You know the rest.

At our first follow-up appointment, his celiac numbers were elevated. I didn't even know what that was. He did the scope several weeks later and was diagnosed with celiac in November. I had his brother, Nate, screened for celiac too, when I did some research and found the likelihood of both twins having celiac was something like 80%. Sure enough, Nate's blood results were strongly positive. No scope for him, they both went GF right after their 9th birthday.

Started the TrialNet screening...Nate's positive for all the antibodies. I know I shouldn't have been surprised, with the double whammy of autoimmune disease #1 and that whole identical-genes thing. But you hope against hope. Did phase 2 on Wednesday...he failed the oral glucose tolerance test with a 289 at 2 hours. They ran an A1C today. It was 6.0, but that combined with some random 180s and a 116 fasting was enough for our endo to give us the diagnosis. He hasn't started insulin yet. We're just checking several times a day, with an appointment to go in next week. Good news is we caught it so very, very early. No real symptoms, no hospitalization will be required. But I'm freaked out over dealing with 2 T1 kids. 4 autoimmune diagnoses in 9 months is stretching the limits of my sanity. Any and all advice on dealing w/ multiple T1 kids would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Can't help with any multiple T1d questions, although we have multiple Celiac covered, but I wanted to welcome you.

3. mamort

mamort Approved members

So sorry about the duel diagnosis, my kids were diagnosed with type 1 one week apart. We have color coded the meters, to keep those separate.

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Hugs, I am so sorry. Welcome tho :)

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Tammy:) Well bless your heart dear! You have more then enough on your plate I think. There are several parents in here with more then one child with diabetes. Im sure they will introduce themselves to you shortly. I hope you come back and post. We all try to support one another in here. And we all have some amazing kids thats for sure!

6. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome to the group! I'm so sorry you have all of this thrown at you at once! You will find lots of information and support here. Good Luck!

7. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

Wow...that just stinks. I have 2 daughters with type 1, and the youngest has Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and another disease that causes periods of pain and fatigue that is horrible. I can truly feel your pain. One thing that has saved my sanity is putting both girls on a CGM. I feel like we've all gotten a little bit of our sanity and life back!

8. sage68

sage68 Approved members

Hey. Both my girls are T1, as is my husband. Elly was very sick at diagnosis but we caught Anne so early that she didn't need hospitalization. Having both of the girls on pumps has helped a lot here, and we are going to be starting both on a CGM in a couple weeks. That is the one thing I have noticed when i went from one T1 to two T1's is that I got WAY less sleep! I was constantly checking blood sugars and correcting or treating once, if not both. I can't wait to get the CGM started on them. I think that will help my sanity as well, just as a PP stated.

Having 2 T1's is definitely a huge challenge but I have been living it here for about 6 months and you really do start to get into a routine and it becomes "normal." Good luck and I am sorry you had to join, but welcome.