- advertisement -

Another growth spurt

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KeltonsMom, May 20, 2008.

1. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

[​IMG]

Ok, I feel better now..

Kelton started to break out on his face two days ago and I knew then we may be in for another wild ride with a growth spurt..I hate being right, I really do.

Large ketones in urine and 1.4 on the ketone meter, glucose 300..So, we have started the day with 4 units of Novolog and 20 ounces of water..Now we play the wait and see game..

On a good note he is resting peacefully on the couch reading.

I have called the Endo and was told to push fluids and keep checking for ketones and to see if he has a fever, which he does not have which is good (no fever).

The hospital is 7 miles down the road from me and if I need to take him in for IV fluids I will..
    Since we have been having a mini-heat wave he has been drinking lots of plain water which is good, so I do not believe he is dehydrated.

So, it looks like we will both get a day off from home school.

2. KeltonsMom

Ketones are now down to .02, glucose is still running in the 250 range but coming down..

Kelton asked if he could watch television or go play, I asked if he was feeling better and he said yes. He got two choices, do school or rest and read on the couch..

I count Ketones as a sick day and on sick days if he is not up to doing school then there is no television..

He is now at the computer doing his lessons :D

I managed to do my cleaning and scold a dog for digging a crater in the yard..:rolleyes:

Now I will go bake bread..

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

argg..hope it all evens out soon.

4. KeltonsMom

Glucose is now down to 150. He is cooking his lunch and pretending to hit the rising bread (this is how I can tell he is feeling better) :rolleyes:

Yes, he knows how to cook, so no one has to worry that my kitchen will burn down :p

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Well glad to hear he seems to be feeling better..

Now if i was in your kitchen everyone would be worried as I would probably burn your kitchen down.. lol

6. KeltonsMom

:D

I taught Kelton how to cook, and I am trying to teach Nik how to cook as well..Nik needs a fire-proof kitchen or I will allow his Dad to take over teaching him to cook..Nik burns water :eek:

7. KeltonsMom

Round two

I will be taking Kelton to his primary care doctor this morning..We have been up since 4 am with him, he has a very upset stomach, no ketones, glucose 150..So I believe he is coming down with something..I will not wait for an appointment, I will just take him in as soon as they open and wait as a walk-in..

I did give him one of his prescription anti-nausea pills, but he is still nauseated..