- advertisement -

Another flu shot question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Sorry for asking ANOTHER question - but the search feature doesn't like the word "flu" because its too short and do you KNOW how many posts of ours have the word SHOT in it.

We got Emma's flu shot a few weeks back - I knew I wasn't messing with it with her.

But, in the past, the rest of us didn't typically get one. We don't fit the young/old/compromised immune system categories

We are going on a trip in 2 weeks (on an airplane) - wondering if I should hustle us in and get flu shots for everyone? Thoughts?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think you should. We were told the entire family needed one since Type 1 is an autoimmune disease, we wouldn't want to risk infecting her if we get sick.

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

We've been struggling with this same question, Will had his but the rest of us haven't. It was recommended though by our endo that we all get them. By the way, did Emma get the pneumonia shot too?

4. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

The first year no one but ian got the shot - but there was a shortage that year so there was no way we'd get it. Last year we all got them. This year the same. I figure for us, we might as well just do whatever we can to stay healthy - flu shot for the suspected flu strain this year, hand washing, purell etc ...we do it all.

5. Nancy in VA

She actually had an pneumonia shot when she was about 1. By the time she was born (Feb 2005) the pneumonia shot had been built in the cycle of shots that they were giving infants.

6. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

We are about due for booster shots, which ones have the pneumonia built in? Don't want to double do if we don't need to

7. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Our family all got the flu shot about 3 weeks ago except for Adin. He goes on Tuesday to the pediatrician to get his. We are the same mind set about trying to keep the whole family as healthy as possible, flu shot, hand washing, vitamins, etc.

8. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Unless there is an vaccination shortage it is recommended that family members and care giver of at-risk individuals get a flu shot each year. On years when there is a shortage, it is still recommended that you get the shot, but those at-risk individuals will have higher priority than you, therefore you may have a difficult time finding someone who will give you the shot.

Do you routinely get the pneumonia shot? Just remember a pneumonia shot is good for five years, so you don't need one every year. As far as I know they are two separate injections, I did not know they combined them into one shot.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our endo really encourages the entire family to get it. The only time we didn't all get it was when there was a shortage a few years back.

Funny (well not for him!), hubby got his flu shot and 2 days later came down with a different strain of flu.

10. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

Everyone gets the flu shot in our house except me.... I Hate needles (funny since I deal with them all day long) I havent got the flu in 6 years (knocking on wood right now)

My DH was told NOT to get the inhaled flu vaccine since that is a live virus and would almost definently give everyone the flu.... But that is what the Naval Docs told him so who knows....

11. Nancy in VA

I agree on the inhaled flu - at least in the past that was the case and so they didn't recommend it to people with compromised immune systems or pregnant ladies.

We have our scheduled for the end of the week. The only thing I'm worried about is that Emma got a low-grade fever about 2 weeks after the shot. I didn't think the two were related until another friend of mine said her daughter had a low grade fever and her flu shot was a couple weeks earlier.

Not that I care if we all end up with low-grade fevers, except that 2 weeks after this flu shot is in the middle of our trip to Disney. I decided to get them NOW because airplanes and amusement parks are just big germfests and I figured it was better to get them now!

12. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

In Alberta, diabetics (I think T1 & T2), their household members and their caregivers are all given free flu shots. Public Health considers us all to be higher risk. Makes sense. Our whole family and our babysitters / nanny got the shot. Very few people have reactions to the shot, mostly people with egg allergies.

13. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

My regular pedi stays on me about Makaela getting the flu shot. I havent gotten her one this year yet though because the flu clinic has been on Saturdays and I work every Sat.