- advertisement -

Another Disney question :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kaylee's Mom, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

We are thinking about bring the kids to Disney next year but wanted to start planning now .. I was looking for help with a few issues. Should we stay on site? We have 3 children so I am having a hard time finding affordable room for 5. Our in-laws have a time share 5 minutes from Disney .. so that is a good option also. I assume it would save on food also .. but if we fly we would have to rent a car. What are others experiences and best time of year to go?

Crystal

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I have a friend with a family of 5 - disney isn't very family of 5 friendly. They have DVC (Disney's timeshare) otherwise in most cases you'd have to book a suite. So offsite may be a better option for you.

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

You might not need to rent a car. You can probably easily get to a public bus or a Disney shuttle if the Condo is that close. With five the timeshare would save you a bundle especially if your in laws can also save in rental cost of their time share. The food and drink costs kill you at Disney so being able to eat breakfast and some dinners at the condo is huge. Have fun planning. Ali

4. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Well florida is hottt. Do not go in August. I love disney/universal but it was way too hot in August when we went. I'd say go in may/june if you can. It's warm outside but not too hot yet..well hopefully :p

When I went to disney we stayed at their All Star music resort it was nice. Also being on site is handy due to the shuttles to all the parks. Also if you fly to orlando there is a shuttle to bring you to and from the airport. I didn't get a meal package but lemme tell ya the food was a bit on the pricey side. I tried to not eat breakfast and just have lunch/dinner. Try to bring plenty of snack foods so that they don't have to go buy a snack at the place to eat in your resort (if you stay in disney). Also if you stay in disney buy the refillable cups! Super handy..pay once and you get unlimited refills.

I think based on food and your large family that maybe staying at your inlaws may be easier...but then again you have the car rental and gas too and parking at disney each day you go.

Whatever you choose you'll have an AMAZING time! Disney is truly magical and so much fun. I cannot wait to go again...my aunt and uncle want to take my cousins but wants them to be a bit older so they behave a bit better and can remember it.

5. Kaylee's Mom

I have done a little research and am finding the off site time share seems to be the way to go. I like that we can pay for tickets ahead for Disney .. Universal .. whatever we decide to do and then have to basically buy meals .. I was surprised Disney is so family of 4 friendly but not with more kids... I have stayed onsite years ago .. so know it is handy .. but many familes must have more than 2 children.

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Port Orleans - Riverside has rooms for 5. Two queen beds and a murphy-type bed for a child (my 10 year old slept fine on it). It's a moderate resort and was more economical than the suite or two rooms at an economy resort. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Personally, I like getting away from Disney at the end of the day. I like Disney well enough, but after a while it makes me feel manipulated and claustrophobic ;-) both times we stayed off-site and didn't regret it.

8. Kaylee's Mom

I will check out Port Orleans .. thanks! And I hear what you are saying also Sarah .. i think in the end it would save a bunch with the timeshare .. and i like the idea of having a washer/dryer in room ... but staying on site would be nice also ... I love all the different opinions!

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We are a family of 5 and typically stay on site. We get two connected rooms at a Value Resort. Art of Animation has suites that take 5 now too, as does All Star Music. The up side is no need for a car - transportation from the airport to hotel, and from hotel to parks and we really enjoy it. If the timeshare is significantly cheaper, though, I'd go with that and rent the car - but I know that renting a car for 5 isn't cheap either! That extra kid is just a pain sometimes, aren't they :)

10. Kaylee's Mom

That extra kid is just a pain sometimes, aren't they :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes they are :)