- advertisement -

Another checking at night thread-I am a little stunned with this one.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jun 20, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

C'mon, play nice!;) The "point" is that she is a member of this forum and wanted to chime in with her thoughts...which we all have the right to do.

I'm sure lots of my posts don't have "points," but I do sure get a lot out of just airing my thoughts to people who understand and have been there...and who respond to my posts if they have something constructive or helpful to say...and just ignore me if they don't.;)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm about 99.9% sure that Chris meant HIS post was of little point. :rolleyes: What is with everyone???

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Thank you, I appreciate your apology and am sorry you've had a tough day. I'm also sorry for whatever I have said in the past to have clearly given you a negative image of me. I know I am opinionated and sometimes that comes across strongly. If I argued with you and made you feel disrespected, I sincerely truly apologize. I feel very strongly that we all have our own journeys to make and at the end of the day we have to respect each other, even when our opinions or actions differ.

I don't have any special data or knowledge, it's just based on my experience only. Nothing more or less. I do believe it is true, but I can't prove it. I've never had a doctor mention night time testing and we have a fairly progressive office as endos go. I think it's fairly common to just follow MD orders for many. I have run into many T1s (both kids and adults) who have never heard of a cgm, never heard of apidra, etc. So websites like this do skew things somewhat as we really do hear/talk about things and take action. Thank goodness for that!

4. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

I agree with this. If I had not have found this site I would probably not check at nite because our endo said "not necessary". I also have ran in to T1s who have never heard of cgm.

5. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Hi Christopher,

Yes I did respond with similar comment to my dentist:D , and yes for the sake of the child, my husband often tactfully give kind advice to his co-worker. He feels odd doing it as this boy has had diabetes for a few years more than our DD. But, goes to show that it's very true we all have our different D-parenting styles too.

6. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Those are pretty much the same times we check too!!! Add in an extra at 5:00 ish when DH wakes. The only time DH does not do a 5:00 am check is if numbers were good through the night.

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

um ... I think Christopher mean there was no point to his post. I might be wrong.

Also, I'm baffled by a dentist who is confused by differing levels of care and attention - does every one of his patients brush 3 times a day?

8. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Out of 6 parents at a support meeting a few months ago I was the only who checked at night. The others seemed shocked I tested even once a night, let alone more than that. We all go to the same endo.

9. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Christopher, I mean i NEVER get up during the night, not even to check the Dexcom. I check it in the morning and see he is always the same every night so no reason to get up during the night currently....and thank you for 'thinking' my post had no point to it...I can feel the same about yours sometimes but I won't :p

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I am pretty sure that Christopher was referring to his post, too. In fact, he seemed to be agreeing with you. :)

And as for not even checking the CGM, if your son is still honeymooning and is not on long-acting insulin, then the chances of anything happening at night are pretty slim. I assume that you check, or use the Dexcom to check, to make sure that any dinnertime insulin has had its desired effects. My son honeymooned for 5 months, and while he was off Levemir and on minuscule doses of Novolog, we didn't check at night, either.

As soon as the honeymoon ended and he started on a pump, night checks became a matter of necessity. Now, if things are going smoothly, I check at midnight and let the CGM take care of the rest. As often as not, though, I have to make adjustments that require 3am checks, too.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Did you actually read his comment?? It was not directed at you- not about you or your post at. all. :rolleyes:

12. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Well I'm with "everyone". I took it to mean that there was no point to maciasFamily's post since that's what he was quoting.

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yikes! :eek: Sorry for the confusion, but I meant MY post had no point to it.

14. Christopher

I meant that MY post had no point, I was just making an observation. And it was not even related to your post.

15. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

FWIW, no endo ever told us to test at night, and with two adult children with D, we have been to quite a few. We tested when things were off in the evening, but since having the CGMs, I realize that especially for my daughter, we were missing a whole lot. Both highs and lows, and not knowing that those lows were probably causing rebound highs. We have a sonic boom alarm clock linked with her Dexcom and it goes off at least 5 nights of the week. The Dexcom is useless at night to us without the extra alarm. There is simply no pattern to the highs and lows than I can see, so she just tests and treats or gives a correction. When I think about all of the years that we did not test at night routinely, I feel very lucky.

We went away a couple of weeks ago and forgot part of the Sonic system. I put the Dexcom in a band on her arm hoping that she would wake up to the vibration. I checked on her during the night and she had been sitting very low for over an hour, but was sound asleep. My husband drove home to retrieve the alarm the next morning. We seriously rely on it that much. She does not wake up to lows and her liver does not help her out. There have been a couple of times that she has turned the alarm off, and I saw it on the CGM in the morning. This is likely worsened because she is on Metformin for PCOS, but without it she would be using a lot more insulin and have other issues.

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

There is nothing "with" me...I misunderstood.:rolleyes: Thank you for pointing it out...Chris, I apologize.:eek:

17. maciasfamily

Yes, this is where we're at. Once we're pumping I know we'll be checking more often, but for now it's not needed. We should be pumping mid-July! :)

18. maciasfamily

ditto Chris! :)

19. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

No one has ever checked me at night, EXCEPT if I have a reaction in my sleep, then hubby wakes me (or tries to) and checks me. As a child(and I've had a meter since the mid 70's, see the picture), no one checked me at night, even if I was in hosptial, again, unless the was an issue. I don't comdemn those who don't test at night, nor those who do, it's what you're comfy with, NEITHER is bad parenting, in most cases~~ To each their own~`

20. Christopher

No worries, and thanks. :cwds: