- advertisement -

Another checking at night thread-I am a little stunned with this one.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Jun 20, 2012.

1. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Just got back from dentist for myself. Long story short, my dentist and I got into a long conversation about my lack of sleep due to having to checking DD 2-3 times during the night. She commented to me that she has never heard other D-parents (patients of hers) who get up to check in the middle of the night (part of our conversation involved me saying that my dental routine is not as good as it was due to erratic sleep patterns and routines). So she was just curious why we get up so many times. She goes on to mention that she has many D patients and D patient's parents and none of them mention sleep issues which lead her to think getting up in the night is uncommon. Really!?!? Is this online community the only ones that are diligent in this area? My DH's co-worker who has a D child also mentions that they DO NOT check in the night... in fact he commented to DH that "oh his liver will dump glucose in the night if he goes too low"!!! Mind you, this boy's A1C has never been lower than 9%

I am just baffled why any parent would allow their child to not have optimal health when they have the control to do something about it.

P.S. My dentist is doing some sort of sleep study with her patients and using info from study to recommend night mouth guard, etc. so she is in tune with her patient's sleep habits.

Yes, my health is suffering in many aspects, but for me it is worth it!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Here is what I would say:

"Well, just as different parents choose different parenting methods, those of us who have children with diabetes choose different ways of managing their child's illness.

For me, I feel better knowing I am monitoring their blood sugar at night, because it can be low or high throughout the night, and both of those have serious health consequences for my child."

Also, not everyone on this site checks every night.

As for your husbands co-worker, if your husband feels it is appropriate, he should help to educate this parent, at least for the safety of the child.

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In my experience CWD parents are more invested in optimizing their kids' management, after all, we are a self-selected group who sought out advice and assistance beyond the Dr's office.

I'd also look to the average endo's advice which is that night testing is not needed. Most parents probably take that at face value and don't explore the experiences of others. I doubt that they are knowingly failing to provide good care of their kids, they are just following Dr's orders.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In my opinion/experience night checking is common on CWD and uncommon in the world at large. Those who are looking for more than standard management and tight control find their way here, so you are looking at a skewed data sample here on this website.

I think most parents do not check at night on a regular/daily basis.

5. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Our endo also told us it is necessary; I just can't imagine not checking at night.

Actually this morning I really drilled DS about his low at 4:30 am, he was 54. I kept asking him did you feel low in your sleep? Did you feel anything? He said NO.

So glad we are starting w/ a new endo and going to get a CGM!

6. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

I check DS at 9:30pm, midnight and between 2 or 3am EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, more if this numbers are wonky.
    I don't know who said it but it reassures me: You wouldn't go 8 hours during the day without checking, why would you at night.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

^^This.

This is why I don't get into these kinds of conversations with people who don't need to know and/or won't get it anyway. Maybe that's the same way her other patients feel, so she really doesn't know whether they check or not.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

It doesn't mean that his other D parents don't get up in the night to check, just that they haven't talked about it. I never tell my dentist details about our diabetic care routine so as far as he knows I sleep soundly every night.

9. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

and where is your statistical date concerning night checking? You have mentioned before that you don't "think" most parents test at night....where do you get your information?

I don't respond to your posts simply becuase you tend to get argumentative. However, if you're going to post statments like that, you should back them up with facts.

and FYI.....and it's been said a millions times before...you wouldn't go 8 hours during the day without checking blood sugars, so just because it's dark out and you're tired, should that really make a difference????

and as far as "standard managment and tight control"......I'm here to learn and keep my children safe.....and I know others with diabetes that don't come here, don't read books and articles, and still test their kids at night.

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

At the risk of getting jumped on, I have to take issue with this statement. I am one that does not check every night, but do check most nights. I do what I feel is safe for my child and what provides peace of mind for me at night. My son's A1cs are not perfect, but are in the mid to high 6s and sometimes drift to a low 7. If I found them to be rising, I would check more often at night to determine if things need to be tweaked...as I do when I look at his daily numbers.

We do have the power to manage (but not always control:rolleyes:) our kids D to the utmost...but have to consider lifestyle choices and sanity levels!;) We can't check our kids' BG levels every minute of the day...I am sure you are not poking your child every half hour or hour, which is what is truly necessary if you want optimal health for your child. Barring that, a CGM provides similar, but not perfect information on BG levels throughout the day and night. You have made a choice about how often you feel you need to check your child during the day, and night, to feel comfortable and safe. Other parents have to find their own levels as well. To imply that those who do not check every 2 hours every day and night do not want optimal health for their child is overly judgmental....people need to find BALANCE in their lives when dealing with D. If how I do it is different than how you do it does not put me in the wrong or mean that I care any less for my child's health than you.

And yes, those on this forum I'm sure are not the norm...I really feel you all are the most caring and dedicated of parents. But we are all different...even on this forum. My sister raised a daughter with D from the age of 2 with minimal night checking...she checked much less than I do. I don't judge her for that or think she cared for her daughter any less than I do my son. Her daughter was only hospitalized once in more than 28 years with a D-related matter...and it was not DKA or a hypo. Her daughter's A1cs were consistently good (except for a stint in college!), and she has two healthy kids of her own now and no D complications. What my sister did worked for her child, what I do works for mine. And granted, there are plenty of parents out there I'm sure who do way too little to take care of their kids' D...and I'm sure they are not on this forum. But I think those of us here do our best to balance D care with the rest of life.

I applaud your efforts to do the best for you child...but often get annoyed with the implications in some threads that those who do not check every 2 hours are not doing the best for ours (or I should say "mine" because I am much in the minority here:rolleyes:!) Checking every 2 hours is not a prerequisite for good D care. If you talk to adults with D, you will find the many or even most do not check at night, and still have good D care. (And yes, I know kids are different, which is why I do check when warranted.)

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

LOL, please. Since when does any poster have to provide "statistical data" for a well, very well, qualified comment regarding their experience and opinion ? :rolleyes:

If anyone is being "argumentative", it would be you.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Most endos tell parents that they do not have to check at night. As a long-term poster on this board, I'm sure you've seen this time and time again. I don't need a study to be pretty certain that most D parents do not check at night. I'd also note that nanhsot prefaced her remarks with "In my opinion/experience...."

I don't think nanhsot is an argumentative poster in the least and I think your description of her as such was completely uncalled for.

13. Deal

Deal Approved members

We might check at night 1-2 times a week. Extra exercise, insulin after 7pm, or unusual numbers lead us to check at night. If things are normal leading into the evening we don't check.

14. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Agreed. I know a family whose control appalls me, but they think I'm crazy to test at night....:rolleyes: I've decided it would be better if we just not talk diabetes with them.

15. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I didn't know of any D family who tests every night until I found this board. Our endo told us one check a week is fine, at the very lest once every two weeks.

A thought I've had, was that if more people tested at night, wouldn't there be a spot in the logs (that companies make and send out with products) for one?

16. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

I'm one of the ones who rarely checks at night. I don't currently see a need for it. He's been dx'd for about 4 months.

I know we will check more often when he's pumping, but currently he isn't on any long acting insulin. We have a dexcom which has been pretty right on, and he has never dropped low during the night since he's been off Lantus, nor does he have any crazy highs.

Everyone is different and each child is also different. I'm sure when he's older and in school and much more active in the way of sports/activites we will be checking more often, but not right now.

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For me, people who use CGMs at night ARE checking. Constantly. They just are not checking via fingerstick. To me, that is different than not checking at all.

No real point to this post. :eek:

18. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I did a pediatric endocrine rotation when I was in med school and in my experience at that particular clinic, most families do not regularly test at night. Night testing did not appear to be particularly encouraged or discouraged by the physicians that I was working with.

I couldn't find any studies about nighttime testing during a quick search with pubmed.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Thank you. I'm sitting here sort of stunned, so I appreciate your words. I try hard NOT to be argumentative and I respect the choices of others in dealing with their own children very much.

20. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that.

I do, however, think when you say things like most parents don't test at night, etc. it comes across like you have this information from somewhere....

I'm guess I'm sensitive today....up 4 time with lows that wouldn't come up, and no reason - no extra exercise, ice creams, etc. to account for it. and she didn't feel low or wake up at 2am when I tested her and she was 41.

Again, I apologize to you.