- advertisement -

Anna doesn't like the Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by heamwdevine, May 19, 2013.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Respectfully snipped, but I completely agree. I might walk out of my house without shoes or forget extra underwear when packing for vacation, but I have never even come close to leaving the house without PDM and glucose. My 12 yr old son is the same way...he always asks if I have his PDM before we head out somewhere. Matter of fact, I even threw it in my purse once when he wasn't coming with me! Just absolute habit to grab the stuff he needs.

I do think the PDM is too big to stick in a pants pocket though. Wish they'd made it slimmer!

2. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Wow, we've forgotten things before.

Though I will say now that dd is older and responsible for carrying her own supplies, it's more her, than me. Generally what happens is she'll take the meter out of her purse/bag and then set it down on the couch, her bed etc and forgets to put it back in the bag. Ensue frantic searching. Or check in the car and again, sets the meter down on the car seat, not the bag. But things have been left at home before. Once on the way to pump start I forgot to see if she had enough test strips. Got there and she checked and didn't say anything to me. We left and we're going to stop for lunch. Then she remembered to tell me that she had used her last strip. Then there was the time she had the bag, we went to the ice cream place, got ice cream, she checked and bolused etc. Got in the car to go for a weekend drive and a while later she felt funny. No bag in the car, so no meter to check. Panic. Thankfully I keep tabs in my purse so we gave her a couple and sped back to the ice cream shop where we found her bag under the bench was had sat on.

I'm trying to remember if I'VE ever forgotten anything but I know I've forgotten to remind HER and therefore it was forgotten. That said, that's always on short trips near our house, within five to ten minutes. If we go further I'm pretty good at reminding her.

DD has ADHD as does DH and I'm the stereotypical ditzy forgetful blonde. Staying organized in this house is a challenge. Thankfully we've managed to keep our child alive for seven plus years now with no hospitalizations or use of glucagon.

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Those were the reasons my daughter had in middle school and I agreed. She would have loss her head while an early teen. But at 15 she begged for no more tubbing and freedom omni offered. I let her do the summer upgrade for 199. Worked great.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

I think it's safe to say that we've all forgotten things. I'm famous for writing out a long grocery list and then leaving it home. ;) That being said, in the 4 plus years my son has been on the Omnipod, he's only forgotten the PDM once and that was at school early on when he used to keep it in the nurses office. We were able to go right back to school to retrieve it and from that day forward he carried it with him at all times in his sling gym type bag. He hasn't forgotten it once since. Of course, now that I just said this, I'm sure it's bound to happen. :D

The bottom line is that you have to find the pump that's the right fit. Luckily they are all good - it's just a matter of personal preference. :cwds:

5. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

ETA: I'm not saying we've never forgotten it, just that we've never lost it and had to frantically look for it. DD left it in her desk once and we had to go back to school and get it. We've also left the house a few times and forgotten to grab it. We just always knew where we'd forgotten it, rather than misplaced it completely. I'm sure eventually we will lose it and worry.

But again, I don't see that as any different than before she was pumping and we still had to remember her other supplies, make sure we had insulin, syringes, testing supplies etc.

6. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We tried the pod. My son thought it was too "heavy" meaning he knew it was there all of the time. He also thought the PDM was too big (I agree with that). Finally, the pod absolutely would not stick to his arm for more than a 12 hours. Another mom I know recommended tape to secure it, but I think it is ridiculous to have to wear something that size secured by several layers of medical tape just to get it to stay on him. Quite frankly, I think the company could improve the size of the PDM and the adhesive with little effort but doesn't, which I find frustrating.

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I spoke to one of the PHD/engineers that designed the PDM and he said, "yes, we absolutely could make it smaller, but we'd rather keep it big and bulky so we don't generate too much revenue". :)

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

But David, they are thinking of making it uber small so it only holds enough insulin for one bolus so they can sell more pods. But only newbies will be allowed to order it. The rest of us loyal customers will get them in three months....or six...or twelve...or not...;)

9. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

:D:D:D

Turtle, my DD doesn't use any additional tapes for the pods...