- advertisement -

animas vs medtronics

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2marchboys, Sep 1, 2012.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, we don't like OT meters, because I think they have accuracy issues, so we wouldn't use it as a meter. We also bolus often when we're not checking BG. As for "digging the pump out", we don't do that, either. He wears it in a clear front pump pouch, and pushes the buttons through the front. He'd also be highly annoyed if he had to stay near the remote while a bolus was delivering.

I do see the utility for a little kid, but at this point for us, with him bolusing, we just wouldn't use it. The Pod remote is still great, though, because I do the other pump functions still, and it would be cool to change basal rates, set temp basals, etc. remotely. That's why I always suggest that if a remote is important to someone, they look closely at the Pod. The child doesn't have to be close while a bolus delivers with the Pod, either.

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

In our experience using both the Ping remote and the Omnipod PDM, I found the opposite to be true. The Ping could be a lot further away than the PDM. Not that I remote bolus a ton. But I do corrections a lot in the night. It is nice not to have to molest my teenager to get the remote out of her pajama pants, sleep shorts. She's usually lying right on top of it.

For a girl, even a teen, the remote is especially nice for dressing up. She's used a spibelt, bike shorts, the Thigh Thing, And clipped it to her bra, with various dresses and been able to descreetly bolus without her pump showing, cutting holes in dresses, or going to the restroom to dig out the pump.

Other than nights and dresses though, she never uses the remote. She says it's way too slow communicating with the pump. And she doesn't like to waste time using it. She's gotten really fast with the buttons on the pump itself. And she doesn't care for it as a meter.

As far as dialing up the dose on the Animas, I think she'd really prefer not to, if she experienced any different. But you don't have to "remember the dose from another screen" as has been suggested in this thread. The suggested dose is right above the one you are dialing in.

We've been through the highest insulin usage years with the Ping's smaller cartridges and haven't cared one bit.

As CGM users, we would absolutely love the integration of the Minimed. We were definitely lied to by Animas when we got our Ping four years ago. And we didn't know enough yet about diabetes care, to realize how the companies make a lot of promises they don't keep. But at this point, we'd never give up the ease and comfort of the Dexcom, for integration with the Minimed sensor. And integration is only of value, if you've decided to use CGM.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  3. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

The Ping is linked with One Touch meter and strips. The Medtronic is linked with Bayer Contour meter and strips. You may want to try both those meters first.

The Ping remote for sure would be advantageous with little ones. I also liked how Ping's screen lights up so nice at night.

Mine are older and don't like that you have to 'dial up' to bolus so they prefer Medtronic now.

We've had both pumps and both were terrific. Good luck.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Though I've been championing its features on this thread, my son has completely discontinued using his remote, but he's 18, not a girl, and doesn't give a flip who knows he's diabetic!

We did not like One Touch and have gone back to Aviva. No huge complaints, just personal preference. Once I realized he never bolused from the remote I saw no reason to keep that as his main remote so it's a back up meter now.

5. Ali

Ali Approved members

For some reason I thought you could get a remote for the Medtronic pumps also. I remember looking at it years ago to use when I wore dresses and had the pump "under cover". :cwds:ali

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I know that both have to be close when you hit "Enter" or whatever to send the bolus, but my understanding is that the child has to stay near the Ping remote while the entire bolus delivers, while they can walk away from the Pod remote once the bolus starts.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our experience is that while you don't need to stay directly next to it, you cannot go to another room without the chance of the message being interrupted. There have been times when my daughter has gone into the next room and it did continue to deliver, but there have been other times where the message is interrupted. I think it's something to do with how far along the delivery is. You can sometimes bolus between wooden doors too.

My big peeve is when she's sitting across from you and you bolus and you think it's gone through and then you get the message saying bolus was canceled. You go check history and the bolus did go through, it's just the final message got interrupted.

8. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

You can, but it's very basic, and there is no screen on it.

http://my.medtronicdiabetes.com/ec_category?cid=a1PC0000000HsvIMAS

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Right now, in the US, MM is still with one touch.. soon it should go to contour, but not yet.

10. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

My dh got his new MM a month ago, it is linked with Bayer Contour, was not able to get One Touch :( And we are in MI.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The Ping remote also shows if there is a temp rate going and what it is and if a combo bolus is going. You can also see how much of the combo has been given in the status screens on the remote. We have been using meters for 12 years. Although I don't care how the One Touch starts the countdown as soon as blood hits the strip, it has been one of the most accurate ones. I am talking about the new blue strips. Not the old black ones. With other brands of meters I would check them (me doing it) and get a strange number then check again and get one way off the first one. Never had this happen in the years using the blue strips.
    I also given boluses through bathroom doors and way across the room. You can always check bolus history to see what went in if you ever get a signal error.

If we ever quit using the remote, I would switch to Accu check. Right now I still use the remote too much at night giving nighttime corrections. I don't want to dig out that pump and wake them up,

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

As others already said, you really can't go wrong with any of the pumps. They all have the same basic idea...you can set up multiple basal rates, different I:C ratios per the time of day, and all of them are pretty sturdy.

I wasn't a fan of the 'dialing' factor with the Animas when I looked at the pumps. I DID like the seperate meter, and there are times where I wish I had that ability.

I can't comment on customer service. I only have experience with MM, and they have been wonderful. In the 3 1/2 years I've had my pump, I've only had to call them once with an issue. It started showing an 'error' one night(of course, at 11:30 or so at night), saying that I had met my 'max insulin' capabilities in that hour. It did this error, and then the pump seemed to go through some self check etc. Anyway, obviously, I was concerned that the pump would even think I had met my max amount of insulin in an hour(when I hadn't bolused or even come close). Called MM, and while they told me the self check the pump had done following was its way of 'self correcting' the known error...they sent me a new pump the following day, no questions asked. I just told the person I wasn't comfortable with that pump anymore, and she agreed.

In regards to the CGMS, I have been using the Dexcom for 2 1/2 years, and have been pretty pleased with them. At the time, I chose to not go with the integrated MM per the reviews I had read. I have been very pleased with the Dex in general.

HOwever, I am on the fence in regards to the integration. As I have become more busy, having a second receiver for the CGMS is more difficult for me. There are times when having a second receiver is great, and there are times it is a bit of a nuisance.

I was still so new to the whole pump/cgms thing at the time I first tried the MM CGMS. When I look at the pumps again next year as my warranty goes up, I do think I might try the MM CGMS again.

Bottom line, you really can't go wrong. You'll get use to which ever pump you choose. You'll grow to like some features, grow to hate others etc. However, the reason most go onto pumps is for tighter control(and the ability to adjust even the tiniest of basal rates/bolus ratios), and the ability to have more freedom/no more MDI....every pump on the market will get you those results.

13. dianas

dianas Approved members

When Minimed changes meters for the first several months only new pump orders get the new meter. It takes a lot longer for them to start upgrading existing pumps to the new meter.

Unfortunately once they change they will no longer support older meters. When they first changed from BD to One Touch the scttlebut at the time was that the company was ticked that BD (which is now Novamax) continued to sell the meter after the contract expired and they tried to stop/sue them but lost that lawsuit because the contract didn't specify what happens afterwards. I haven't heard anything specifically but my guess is that Medtronic closed that loophole in future meter contracts and therefore companies other than Novamax will not be able to independently sell a link meter in the future. Which is too bad because it so limits personal choice and with insurance tiers it would be nice if you could close between a couple of meters that linked to your pump.