- advertisement -

Animas vs medtronic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2Hanna, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

OK, thanks for the info and thanks for clearing that up Emma!:D

2. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Thanks everyone. Jacob's dad, can I ask if you switched for the integrated CGM? And your point, Flutterby, to go by what s presently available, is well taken.
    I am leaning towards the Medtronic, the CGM gives me some comfort because of sports and lows... but if the sensor hurts my ds, who is still dealing with the "newness" of it all, he will not be pleased. I don't want to go that route and then not even use the CGM, kwim? Especially since for some reason he is leaning towards the animas...and it is his body. And that makes me lean towards the animas. :confused:

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Do you know what his reasons for wanting the Animas are? Is there any way he could see them both, handle them and try to get a feel for it? I totally get why you want to respect his choice when the decision is unlikely to be medically relevant (fundamentally, the pumps all do exactly the same thing, so his care will likely be as good whichever he uses).

For me personally, I consider that the Medtronic has the edge over Animas because:

1) Integrated CGMS. I use it full time, it's one of the most important parts of my D care, and it would be more of a pain if I had to carry around another receiver.

2) Ease of use. On the Animas, you use the bolus wizard and it tells you the recommended bolus amount, but then on the next screen you have to scroll up to the amount yourself. That would annoy me basically because I'm lazy :p but in a younger child could be more problematic if they have a habit of transposing numbers or might simply be likely to misremember the dose. It just increases the margin for error.

3) Durability. This might be a completely false impression, but I feel like the Animas often needs to be replaced more than the MM. That's not a problem financially because whilst it's in warranty they will replace it, but I like being able to throw my pump at a wall and have it bounce back. (I've never actually thrown it at a wall. But I have dropped it many, many times and it has never broken.)

4) The MM feels sturdier in my hands.

As you can see, one of those reasons could be irrelevant (if you decide not to CGM), one is kind of a minor issue - it probably only takes about 3 seconds to scroll up to the bolus amount, one is completely not backed up by any kind of evidence and could be completely wrong (perhaps the MM breaks more than the Animas - I really have no idea) and the other is just silly. :p

But FWIW, I'm really happy with the Medtronic pump and I would never switch to the Ping. I might be tempted to switch to the Animas Vibe which is out in the UK, but that's not available in the US so won't factor into your decision.

My favourite thing about the Animas is probably the colour screen. And the colourful infusion sets. Do you think your son might be taken with the screen?

4. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

The integrated CGM was a big draw for me. That being said, since we had been with Animas for so long I was willing to wait longer for the Vibe to come out except for one BIG problem:

The Vibe is integrated with the Dexcom CGM and Jacob's skin breaks out badly from the Dex adhesive. It might be the probe itself that is causing the reaction but either way, we have never solved the issue satisfactorily.

The warranty was up on both his pump and CGM so we did a trial with the Medtronic Revel. His skin did not break at the Medtronic CGM site. We decided to go with the Revel. There is still a risk involved. He could develop a reaction to the CGM site over time which is exactly what happened with Dexcom. In fact he did break out from his last site, but I think we have determined that it was from the transmitter rubbing against his skin. It looks like we have eliminated that issue with his current site.

So, when I weighed everything out the scales still tipped in Medtronic's favor. I'm not sure my wife is convinced yet as she seems to think the Revel is complicated. I keep telling her that although there are many bells and whistles the basic functions are very easy to use.

5. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

I can attest to the durability of the Animas Ping. It took about 1.5 years before my little guy was able to work though his diagnosis grief. He was still occasionally raging when he started pumping. His pump was literally pounded against the floor and thrown against the wall. It took all of the beating he could give it.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, like I said, my opinion had absolutely no basis in fact. :p I was just trying to show that the reasons we pick one pump over another are really just opinions. There isn't one pump that is the best, we just all have our different criteria and feelings which help us decide. And the majority of people are really happy with the pump they choose.

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We have never tried a Ping, and we are upgrading to a MM Revel when the warranty is up in March. MM has fantastic customer service. There is also a pathway program, where for a nominal amount, you can upgrade your current pump to the newest available-we hope to upgrade to a Veo when the FDA releases it.

8. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

The Ping's durability issues seem to have more to do with the keypad than the body of the pump.

9. lisanc

lisanc Approved members

We have never used Ping pump ... but wanted to also say that we are really happy with the Revel pump ... daughter loves it ... we love CGM and sensor insertion is no big deal for her (we numb with ice for couple of minutes before) and just got the mySentry and love it as well ... I say it has turned me into a "lazy" mom in term of BG testing at night, which is a beautiful thing!:D

My good friend's daughter is on the Ping, and they also really seem to enjoy that and are very happy.

But comparing our pumps and CGM (her daughter has Dexcom) ... MM does seem to have more bells and whistles.

10. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

One of our biggest reasons for choosing MM was ease of use. My daughter was had just turned 6 a few weeks before we started pumping, and was able to bolus and silence alarms independently within a week. She's now 10 and navigates that thing like a pro. I agree with Emma on the potential of problems in kids with forgetting the dose or transposing numbers.
    We also trialed the omnipod for a few weeks, but Ella found it uncomfortable and it really irritated her skin.

11. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Understood, I was just sharing our experience. I also agree that there isn't one pump that is best; I think they all do a fine job with their primary purpose and it's the add-on features that typically drive the selection. For example, we really love the Ping remote.

I remember the thread about J&J not reporting this issue properly. We haven't had keypad problems either. Only issue in 2 years was that the "normal bolus" button came off - probably pulled off by a curious 5 year old.

12. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We use the 523 revel along with the cgms (medtronics) Loren is 4 and started using the cgms (medtronics) when she was 19 months old. We have never had issues with the sensor needle hurting her. We do not numb her at all and she doesn't flinch or cry. We first had the 522 which didn't offer smaller basal size but upgraded when revel was released. We have had the best customer service with medtronics. I can call them at midnight and need a pump replaced and it will be here the next morning. I have called before at 2 or 3 am and they are friendly as can be to help. We thought we would love the ping for the remote, but when we tested the ping it was just not us. I didn't like having to scroll to bolus, I felt a the pump would break easily when dropped. As far as the beeping goes on the Medtronic pump the only beeps you have (as long as cgms is not running ) is low res, bolus reminder, check bs after a bolus, low battery and no delivery. You can turn off the bolus reminder and check blood sugar (we do not use those). If you use the cgms you will beep when your blood sugar is dropping, low, rise rate or high blood sugar and a couple others, but you set the alarm range and you can make the vibrate.

13. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I have the ping (animas) and I love it! Just wanted to say that when you bolus through easy bolus (bolus wizard) you can see the amount you are supposed to give yourself one the screen where you 'dial it up' if that makes sense:cwds:

And I'd say that the ping is super durable, I've banged it against my counter/ dropped it in the toilet too many times to count and its still ticking=) I did have to get mine replaced because of water damage, but it was because the audio bolus button pad had come off (I didn't know the button existed so I didn't notice)

The color screen is REALLY nice, I had cataract surgery right after getting the pump so it was very important to me that I could read the screen because my sight was really bad =( The other reason I like animas over MM is that the mm pumps look more medical to me, where as the ping looks more normal/ less likely to stand out I wear my ping clipped to the outside of my pocket and no one even notices it most of the time, one of my friends wore an mm pump clipped to her pants with her shirt hanging over it and EVERYONE in our class noticed:cwds:(I didn't have d at the time so I don't know if they would have noticed my pump)

They only things I don't like about the ping is all the button pushing, the remote buttons are kind of annoying and the home screen does not have IOB on it

14. Christy Putnam

Christy Putnam Approved members

Aden started with the Ping when we were finally able to get a pump via insurance. We never had any problem with it and loved it. We have used EMLA cream since the beginning because it lessened the anxiety associated with insertions which made it worth it to all of us. There are many reasons why we chose it over the MM and i'm glad we did at the time. However, when he started going low (30's) and not feeling low, it started concerning me so we switched to Revel recently. It has been a difficult transition for us.

Pump: We have had many problems with the insertions (silhouettes). Partially due to the Sil-Serter not working very well (even the trainers dislike it). We recently tried the MIO and had trouble with it at first, until we discovered some key things we were doing wrong. Now, i like the MIO and have been able to use it in many insertions spots (arm, belly, hip/rump, leg). The buttons on the pump were difficult to get used to after using the Ping remote for so long (i really miss the remote) but i'm getting the feel of it now. MM is in process of getting a meter remote approved so i look forward to the availability of that.
    CGM: I have been driven crazy with sleep deprivation due to the CGM alerting us so much at night (during day too) but part of that has been the insertion malfunctions (cannula being kinked, etc). Another factor of our frustration is that some alerts were not set (to prevent frustration) and it has been difficult to prevent highs and lows without them. Finger pokes have more than doubled since starting the CGM but that's not supposed to be normal. I have scheduled an appointment for more detailed training so we can hopefully get more sleep and be able to rely on the CGM more than we have and not have to do so many finger pokes. The CGM sensor insertions have been more painful for him but it may be just the association of a larger needle. We look forward to the smaller ones, whenever they are approved.

Oddly enough, i am glad we switched because of the integrated CGM. I know we will get the kinks worked out with more training and we will come to love the whole system.

My recommendation if you do switch is to try the MIO (they will give you samples), get as much detail in your training as possible (including how to read the CareLink data), and set the low/high predictor alarms even if its not recommended right away. Expect more finger pokes in the beginning (some say the first 3 months), dont start the new system near holidays (we started in November and had thanksgiving, christmas, and birthdays) cuz of the availability of sweets, and be patient with yourself.

Good luck with your decision...

15. Style mom

Can you tell me anything more about this? It's the first I've ever heard of MM getting a remote.

16. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

From my understanding about the remote for medtronics that will link to the pump as it will not be out for a while. Possibly the next pump (after the veo) The remote they have right now looks like a car remote.

17. Style mom

Super. My son will be a teenager then, and the remote will be useless for us. :rolleyes:

Stupid Veo. I wish they'd just skip over it and release the pump after that with the nice screen and the remote.

18. Christy Putnam

Christy Putnam Approved members

All i know about the meter remote is that i voiced to my MM trainer that i really wish the Revel had a meter remote like the Ping and she said they are working on it. I didnt even ask when it would be available cuz i know it's all relative and the standard answer seems to be "18 months" for anything.