- advertisement -

Animas Vibe released in Canada today!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JackyH, Jan 24, 2014.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

The remote as in the Receiver...I knew what you meant. I just call my receiver my "remote" for my dexcom. I wasn't meaning the Ping Meter remote that I know doesn't come with the vibe.

2. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I am leaning toward this for my daughter because there is no way that she would hear or respond to the pump under the covers. She ignores the alarms now with it on her bedside table. I can usually hear it from my room if I am not sleeping too soundly, but for some reason we have never gotten it to read from her room to ours. Our rooms are next to each other, so I don't understand it. She doesn't stay connected in the house either, and the home isn't that large. Maybe too much interference. She will have staff there overnight, awake to be able to check on her once she moves out with two other ladies that also have special needs. It wouldn't make sense for someone to have to search around for her pump in order to check on her bg. I would like for her to be able to stick with what she is using now, the Omnipod and the Dexcom, but the chances of me being able to get Medicaid to pay for both are slim to none. My research into other pumps has led me to believe that the Vibe would be her best option, so hopefully it will get here soon!

3. shannong

shannong Approved members

I like this idea! One less thing for my son to carry around. I wonder what it will cost to switch from the Ping to the Vibe. The only thing I probably wouldn't be too thrilled about is losing the remote. We don't use it a lot, but there are definitely times that I like having it.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

In the U.S. Ping purchasers were promised a $99 upgrade when the Vibe comes to market. I'd argue with Animas for a comparable offer in Canada if it doesn't exist.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

In New Zealand there was never a Ping released.. anyone who still had a working 2020 was offered a free Vibe upgrade because the 2020 is programmed to stop working on 1st Jan 2015..

6. Melissata

I have always been concerned with the fast delivery of the Animas pumps and was once again reminded during my research that it was a problem for some people. I'm thinking that maybe it isn't as big a deal as some people have made it out to be, since Animas knows about the issue and has not changed anything over the years to fix it. I just don't want to take a chance on teaching my daughter a new pump and then have her get the stinging from the fast boluses. People have said changing the speed to slow actually can make it worse, because it still delivers in short spurts very quickly, and that the longer bolus actually prolongs this. I believe the Dtron plus was pretty fast as well, but not as fast as Animas, and she didn't have any problem with it then. It seems like little kids don't have a problem usually because they don't get as large a bolus. I know that one fix is to give every bolus as an extended short, like 10 mins, but that would just be difficult for her to have to remember to do.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

If you are looking for slower delivery go with the T:slim!

8. Melissata

I am still considering the Tslim. Some of the reviews that I read were steering me away from it, but I just got the final word from the Omnipod rep that there is no way that she will be able to get Medicaid to pay for the Omnipod. Once her dad retires and she is able to get Medicare through him, we can get her on an add on policy that will cover them, but that is at least 3 years down the road. I was thinking that the Tslim and Omnipod link up might be a long time coming, but I might be wrong about that and need to actually call the rep and see the Tslim for myself. I don't know if the fast speed will even be an issue for her, so I wouldn't rule it out just for that reason. I'm hoping that we could do a trial bolus with one before committing to it. I just need to see each one in action, before I would know for sure, but since I won't be able to see a vibe, I'm kind of stuck for now.

9. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Darn it, I was thinking this would be a big plus point for the Vibe as you can imagine how long it takes to deliver 20 units with the Veo (particularly annoying if you forget to calibrate or set that temp basal before the bolus).