- advertisement -

Animas Vibe released in Canada today!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JackyH, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Exciting stuff!! I have a question for those who defected to the Dexcom from the Medtronic CGM....

For me when choosing a pump, an integrated CGM is the must have right at the top of the list. A CGM because it's a tool I cannot now do without and integrated, because, unless it's attached to him, he WILL lose it. Our pump warranty runs out in March so I'm going shopping and now I have a choice!!! I'm pretty familiar with the Dexcom having been jealously reading about it for the last four years so I'm really just trying to get a sense of whether it's really worth switching pump companies for. For those long time Medtronic CGM users, any regrets after switching? Anything you really miss? Do you feel it's better at catching the lows?

Oscar is in the throes of puberty so the real downer for the Vibe is the cartridge size - he's on up to 120 units of insulin a day so we would be using double the cartridges for a few years. I would be prepared to do this if the Dexcom will really give us that extra accuracy, louder alarms, not having to switch it out every 7 days and not getting a weak signal every time the pump moves to the other side of his body!

I won't really miss the low suspend - Oscar had a seizure at 3am in the morning right before Christmas - the stupid pump didn't go into low suspend until after it was all over and done with and his blood sugar was back up - the low suspend threshold is set to 3.3 (59) - his BG was 2.0 (36).

Anyway, I think it might be worth the switch - just wanted to hear from those that have already done it.

Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Is the T:slim an option as well?

3. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

No t-slim here yet:-(

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, I think the 180u cartridge is the biggest problem I can see. The larger cartridge is a big reason we use the 723.

Is there any way you can trial the G4 before you decide?

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Yes, the cartridge size is a bummer but I think we could work around it by filling two cartridges every time we change his site. I'm going to call tomorrow to see if we can set up a trial with both the Vibe and the G4. Hopefully we will be able to do this. I'd love to see firsthand how accurate the Dex is.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We used the MM CGM for 5 years with good success. We have switched to the Dexcom, and have never looked back. We have a t:slim now, so we went from integrated to non-integrated, and don't miss integration at all. He wears the Dex on his pump pouch belt, so it's essentially as attached to him as the pump is.

The Dexcom is more accurate and is so much less fussy than the MM CGM. I read this morning that Gary Scheiner is going to do a head to head review of the two systems that will appear on his blog on February 2nd, so you might want to watch for that. But nothing I've read about the Enlite has given me any regret about switching to the Dex. I personally would have no interest in the Vibe, as I think the Animas menus are a mess. (And my son is 9 and already uses 45 units a day. There is no way that 200 unit reservoir would work for us in puberty.)

7. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Unfortunately, at 13 it is so "not cool" to wear a pump pouch:cwds: He just stuffs the pump in his jeans pocket. He has lost four phones since DX. He even lost the pump before we started pumping when we were just using it as a CGM! I just cannot take the risk with such expensive equipment. I like that the Dex is less fussy. "Fussy" is definitely a good description for the Medtronic CGM. One bad calibration with the enlite and it can take a day to get back on track - that and the false lows from pressure.

Does anyone know if you can use the Vibe and a Dexcom Receiver with the same transmitter (the way you can with two MM pumps or the Guardian)?

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I know you can use two dexcom receivers at the same time, so my guess is that you could do the same with the Vibe and one receiver.

9. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

hmmm .... no trial allowed. He even said we wouldn't be able to return the Vibe/Dexcom if we decided it wasn't for us after purchase ... I still have to talk to my local rep. It seems strange, I always thought you could return within a certain period if it wasn't working out.

10. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

Hi Jacky
    I too, tried to get a trial on the Vibe. Animas Canada has absolutely no desire to let anyone try out their pumps. They claim they would have to trash any pump that was used. Maybe the rep could let you try her demo pump?
    Animas' stand on no returns took them out of the running for me as I refused to commit to thousands of $$$ with no recourse. I went with the new omnipod a couple of weeks ago and will be starting the dexcom G4 this weekend (had to finish up with the old softsensors that I had). I did try the Veo and Enlite sensors but found the sensors too pressure sensitive and I sent both the Veo and cgms back to Medtronic.
    I hope you have better luck with your rep than I did.

11. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

That's what the rep I spoke to said too - doesn't make any sense. So are all loaner pumps trashed when they are sent back!! I think not..

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Yes you can use Dex G4 with both the receiver and pump at once. The Vibe has a much nicer menu than the Ping or 2020.. In NZ you can trial a loaner pump, I believe they have certain pumps that are only used for trials.

13. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Please see above. Also, I did try the enlite sensors for around a week and I was not very impressed. I actually found the sof sensors to be more accurate and less pressure sensitive for me. I would rank the accuracy as dexcom > sof-sensor > enlite. But overall there was not a huge difference in the accuracy between the three for me. It was more that the dexcom seems to have less of a lag (I believe due to the algorithm it uses), the louder alarms, the greater range, and less tissue scarring that I switched. I also really think dexcom has a really great plan for the future and will most likely be the first company to greatly reduce and/or eliminate finger sticks.

14. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Weird..I was told by the animas rep that the remote receiver would not work if you had a vibe being the receiver for the cgm. He said it's one or the other. He recommended that since I liked the meter remote to keep dex seperate with the remote and just get the ping since the vibe/dex combo won't come with a meter remote or the dexcom remote. I was also told there was no trial period with the dex however through ADP in ontario you get I believe 90 days to decide if you like it or not and can switch to a diff pump or just not pump at all.

15. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

I spoke with Animas Canada today, and they confirmed that you can indeed use both the Vibe and a Dexcom stand-alone receiver at the same time, with a single Dexcom sensor. What I like about being able to use both is that the stand-alone receiver is great at night in the parent's room, and DS doesn't have to carry the stand-alone receiver around during the day (ie. he can get his CGM readings from the Vibe).

16. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

That's great! Glad you can use the remote and pump at the same time. Just makes more sense instead of pulling off the pump everytime to check. I think personally I'd rather the ping just because it has the pump/meter remote which I think is nice if you're wearing a dress or have a bunch of layers on and you don't wanna go digging for the pump.

17. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I think you misread the post. It said you can use the stand alone Dex receiver along with the Vibe, not the remote. Correct me if I am the one reading this wrong, but I believe that it was always reported that you would not be able to use the remote if you chose to use the CGM.

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

This is my understanding with the VIBE there is no meter/remote, just the pump that will also act as a integrated Dex receiver. BUT, you can use the Dex receiver in addition to the pump/receiver.

19. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Can't wait to hear what people think of the Vibe as it is released.

I did recently 'make the leap' to the integrated Minimed 530G and Enlite. I have to be honest, after having used Dex for years, I WAS skepitcal. I intentionally took my Dex off so I wouldn't 'over compare', and to try and get an unbiased attempt at using it.

Its been pretty dang accurate so far. I had tried the original sof sensor, and HATED it. For me it was incredibly unaccurate, even the trending arrows weren't right.

The new enlite is, at least for me, greatly improved over their last sensor.

I also can not lie, I love the size of the transmitter. As much as I loved the Dex, I still wasn't adapting to the increased width of the new Dexcom transmitter. It felt flappy on my arm. I can't feel the Enlite.

I, also, have read mixed reviews of the Enlite. Maybe I have been lucky with the sensors so far. However, so far...it hasn't been any more or less goofy then the Dex. As accurate as the Dex was...there were still plenty of times it was off enough.

Both the Vibe and the Medtronic have one thing I am starting to really like...the integration.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Danielle, how long do the Enlites last for you, compared to the Dex sensors?