- advertisement -

Animas Vibe - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sari, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Sari

Sari Approved members

We are out of warranty of our current pump and wondering what you all think of the Animas Vibe. We like the idea of the Dexcom being integrated. Was wondering if while using the Animas Vibe can we still use Dexcom share so we can see our son's numbers on our phones? Is the Dexcom still a separate insertion site on their bodies? Or only 1 site?

thank you all for your input.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I have been researching dexcom, as we are about to get it for the first time (if insurance will play nice), and we are also looking at a new pump, and this is what I've read about the vibe integration:

From what I understand, if you want to use the share, you need a receiver. Share won't work straight from the pump. So you would have to calibrate both the pump and receiver to use share and have the integration. So just one more step, but definitely doable.

But yesterday Dexcom's g5 was approved, which skips the receiver and goes straight to an I-device (we are looking at using an iPod, not sure yet). The g5 will not integrate with the vibe, as far as I know. So, if you want to use the integration feature, you will be using the old dexcom transmitter and algorithms. Not necessarily a deal breaker for everyone, but it's good to know.

Another thing to consider is how much insulin your son will need by the time he is 14 and you are out of warranty. For my 13 year old, 200 units would barely be enough. But for your son, 200 may be enough. YDMV.

Don't think I'm trying to convince you against the vibe! I'm sure it's a great pump, although we've never used it. Just pointing out a few things.

The cgm is always a separate site, no matter what.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have Vibes and we don't use the Dexcom through them.. so yes you can still use your receiver... but still a pump site and a sensor separate.

Apart from that its a good basic pump - nothing changed really since we first looked at pumps 10 yrs ago. The 200 unit ( 180 really by the time you've primed) can be a pain if your child is using a lot of insulin..

4. njswede

njswede Approved members

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Vibe. If you use its Dexcom receiver, you can't do share. And the receiver is history very soon anyway now that G5 will be released. Plus I find the Ping meter/remote super convenient. Last night I gave him a correction while he was sleeping without even entering his room!

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Yep, just got my Vibe and it's officially outdated. It's a great pump, but as an integrated pump/CGMS system- it fell short. It eliminated the meter/remote that was a big selling point for the Ping. It's CGMS screens are harder to read that stand alone Dexcom receiver, and FAR harder to read than Dexcom iPhone app. The CGMS is integrated in the worst ways with the pump- ie, not being able to see CGMS data when insulin delivery was suspended, and needing a long series or button presses to get between insulin delivery screens and CGMS function screens- but not in the best ways- ie, you can calibrate with a BG used for a bolus, but if you just entered a BG for a calibration then go to bolus, that BG isn't remembered at all, and the pump history includes no CGMS data like the Minimed integrated systems do. Unfortunately, with how long the Vibe took to hit the market in the U.S., it was basically outdated before we got it. The newest software algorithm is not on it, there doesn't appear to be any way to upload to Studio, there are no Share features, and the G5 receiver is now incompatible.

That's not to say I regret getting the Vibe. It's a great pump. I love the solid feeling build of it, the colorful screen, the bright green color I got, and the ability to change my BG target when I bolus. The menus are very clear, the insulin delivery seems very precise, and the battery life is amazing with the lithium batteries.

I do kind of wonder if I should have gotten the Ping for the remote functionality, since I won't be using the CGMS once I get the G5. But Ultra Blue strips are annoying to use with how much blood they take compared to newer meters, and I think having to scroll to the bolus amount would drive me nuts. So glad they fixed that on the Vibe.

Looking forward to what Animas does next. Hopefully a Bluetooth integrated pump that can get data from the G5 and a Verio Sync/Remote combo. A girl can dream.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have been tossing around the idea of doing the upgrade from Ping to Vibe for $99 for my older son. Cases like when you kayak and white water raft he would be able to have CGM on him where he would leave the phone at the outdoor outfitters.

7. funnygrl

Kayaking is exactly why I've been keeping my Vibe and my Share receiver both calibrated. But the Vibe won't work at all with the G5 transmitters. So unless you're planning on sticking with G4, or not having to scroll to the bolus recommendation is a big deal to you- not much point in upgrading. DiabetesMine posted today that Animas and T:Slim are both working on pumps that will integrate with G5 now. With Animas's timeline, I'm guessing we'll see that in 2019 when G7 is coming out.

8. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Wow, thanks for telling me . I did not know that the G5 would not work with the Vibe. We were thinking to get the free G5 upgrade. Our new G4 (warranty replacement) transmitter comes next week. I was hoping he could use the Vibe to read data and use Share from the transmitter. Rats.

I also thought once the G5 comes out there will be no choice, but that G5 transmitter? I guess they will have to keep selling G4 for the Vibe users.

9. funnygrl

Yes, Dexcom's official word right now is no plan on discontinuing the G4 transmitter. If you qualify for a free G5 upgrade, there no reason at all not to get it. You don't need to trade in your old transmitter, and your insurance won't know anything about it. When your 6 months are up and it's time to order a new new transmitter with insurance- decide then which to get. I've personally realized that it's easier to see readings on my phone than my pump 95% of the time. I'm hoping Animas comes up with a compatible upgrade soon, though, because I love options.

10. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

That's the whole problem with integration: pump technology and CGM technology are rarely, if ever, on the same timeline.

We used to have this ginormous warehouse-type tech store relatively near us called Incredible Universe. Someone said that they should place huge dumpsters right after the cashiers so you could simply throw away your new computer as soon as you finish purchasing it and turn around and go back in to get the newest innovation. Repeat. And keep repeating...