- advertisement -

Animas vibe approved in Europe!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Jun 2, 2011.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Thanks for posting this! Can anyone who is familiar with Dexcom tell me how the 4th generation system is different than the current system? I see that it has a 1 hour warm-up, but can anyone else tell whether they've added any features?

Also, thank GOD this is finally out. Now MM can stop resting on their laurels and get their next pump out!

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Congrats to animas users! Although it's not in the US yet, that's great progress and it doesn't seem likely to get held up with the FDA like the new MM sensor. (European Ds are so lucky! ;) ) I'm hoping that you can still use the dex receiver AND the pump, like the revel/gardian combo. Even though we use mm, I love love love to see new things coming out all over. Maybe by the time our warrenty is up, they'll be all sorts of improvements and stuff to choose from (except a cure :( :mad: ). Still this looks really awesome--intergrated cgm, awesome remote, waterproof, = real mm competition! That's great for everyone!

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I think the remote is history with the Vibe. It's a shame but maybe they just couldn't have two things communicating with the pump at the same time.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Look closely at the picture of the Vibe here
    http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/animas/49461/docs/49461-Animas_Vibe_Fact_Sheet_new.pdf

Now look at the picture of the smaller 2020 and the One Touch Ping. I had also heard rumors they were using the 2020 for the Dexcom pump. Not exactly. The above picture of the Vibe is not the smaller 2020. Either they needed the larger one for communicating to Dexcom or they maybe they will add the remote down the road.

6. denise3099

That's a big mistake! Huge! The remote is what ppl compalin about most with the mm. It's a huge draw to the animas. I really hope they do go on to add it. Maybe then MM will have to step up too.

7. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

We have the ping and only used the remote for a few days. We don't want something else to carry around, it's very lge, and the meter is not comparable to most out there - slow. To me losing the remote on a newer version is not that big of deal. JMO

8. denise3099

Yeah, I guess it depends on your needs. I mean, we get along fine without it but having a girl with a dress on and her pump under it, I would have loved to have a remote. Also, parent sof toddlers love it so they don't have to hold down an active toddler. Women who wear the pump in their bra love it so they don't have to fish around in their shirts in restaurants. And since it's waterproof, you wouldn't want to dig under your wetsuit or even just a one piece bathing suit to get it once you've cleverly hidden it. More important for girls than boys, but a really great feature that mm'ers wish we had.

I just wish that for once you didn't have to wiegh what was most important to you and give up on other features, you know. I mean everything is pros and cons but finally I thought there would be a pump with the best features of both. And that mm would see that and feel the heat. But alas. . . it was not to be. :rolleyes:

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

So the Dexcom G4 sensor with the Vibe is a NEW type of sensor for the Dex right? One that is not yet approved here?

Gosh that looks pretty!

I'd love to put that combo up against the new MM/Enlite to see what folks wearing both think of it. I doubt we can get too many people who get a chance to try both though.

10. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Great. One more reason to second guess our decision to upgrade to the Revel. :)

No, actually this is great news for MM pumpers. They (MM) need a fire lit under their collective a#s. They are really dragging their feet on new developments. Hopefully this will be an inspiration.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Nice to have another option for when I upgrade pumps next year. I wonder how the size, price, accuracy and life of the Dexcom G4 sensors compare to the MM Enlite sensors.

12. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Anyone have an idea how long it will be till the FDA aproves this :confused:

13. hawkeyegirl

It does look big. Does anyone know what the dimensions are?

14. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Dexcom talked about the gen 4 sensor on a call last August. I have some details here: http://www.ydmv.net/2010/08/ftnw-dexcom-earnings-call-aug-10.html

More accurate, faster start up.

Medtronic also has a newer sensor in Europe. http://www.ydmv.net/2011/04/tea-and-crumpets-news-network-minimed.html

IMHO, Theses are there and not here because the FDA keeps moving the goal line on the manufacturers not the manufacturers sitting on their laurels or other parts.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Here is a picture of the One Touch Ping(VIbe size) compared to a Revel (300 unit)

In my option the Animas is smaller.

16. hawkeyegirl

I agree that the 300 unit Revel is slightly larger than the Ping, but it's not an apples to apples comparison. The 180 unit Revel is more comparable to the Ping, and it's noticably smaller.

Anyway, I guess my question is whether anyone knows whether the Vibe is the same size as the Ping or not.

17. hawkeyegirl

Well, Dexcom has said that they hope to file with the FDA late this summer. Medtronic's last pump submission to the FDA (which incorporated absolutely NO "big" changes) took 19 months, I believe, so you do the math. :(

Yeah. I was wondering if anyone had found the manual or a spec sheet online. Basically, I'd like to know if they added any of MM's settings or features.

I try very hard not to think about that, as it only makes me mad.

Nope. Don't buy it. I agree that the FDA has tightened things up and that is part of the delay, but these companies make a lot more money by squeezing every last dime out of current products before they release something new. It's no coincidence that the Revel was released juuuuuuust when the first x22 purchasers would be going out of warranty on their pumps.

Medtronic, especially, has absolutely no incentive to release anything here until Animas gets off their heiney and gets their integrated system out. Which looks to be 1.5 years away at best.

18. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

Our Animas rep stopped by today to pick up the Ping, and I mentioned that it looked more like the Ping than the 2020. She insisted it was only slightly longer than the 2020.

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

why would they have the low alarm fixed at 55.. that should be something you can adjust.. We have our set at 89.. most of the time it does a great job of catching a low before its 'low low' (make sense?).. today however it went off and she was 38.. with almost of half unit of insulin active, obviously falling fast and hard.. if we had the low at 55, it would have been a major problem.. (she didn't feel this low).

20. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I am pretty sure that means that it can not be set below 55. On the dexcom now it also says that and you can program a higher low bg alarm.