- advertisement -

Animas Update

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

There had been some rumors about about Animas going out. This was posted today on DiabetesMine's FB page. Thanks to DM for the update:

NEWS UPDATE: Like others in the Diabetes Online Community, we've also been hearing talk about Animas closing. That is not the case.

Johnson & Johnson announced a restructuring of its diabetes biz in November. Aside from top exec leadership changes, the Lifescan sales reps will no longer be J&J/Lifescan employees but will now be working for Janssen Pharmaceuticals - promoting not only the blood glucose line, but the 2013-approved SGLT2 inhibitor Invokana. This might be helping to fuel talk within endo's offices and by sales reps that "Animas/Lifescan is closing."

Animas also consolidated 2 facilities in Pennsylvania down to one, at its HQ in Chesterbrook, PA, earlier in the year; the Lifescan facility in Milpitas, CA facility will be closed and moved to a J&J facility in Fremont, CA by mid-next year.

All necessitated by Medicare, CMS reimbursement issues that the industry has facing during the past year.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Our endo office has not heard this. I heard this in the summer from T:Slim reps

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Animas

Late Sat. evening, a woman out in Washington state posted on FB that her end's office was contacting all its patients on Animas pumps to tell them the company was going out of business. NO ONE else had this information.

Rather than LifeScan and Animas being "linked" as one company, they have been separated into two separate entities, like they used to be.

For now, Animas remains in business. I suspect they are still waiting to hear from the FDA about the Vibe.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

That's a nice unethical way to do business and promote your product over someone else's. I would suspect they need to be careful about doing that.

5. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Just FYI....I was assuming you meant they told you that Animas was going out of business, not just restructuring.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our practice hadn't even heard about restructuring, just about something in the next step to the Vibe getting approval?

7. schnoodle

schnoodle Approved members

I went to a group session presentation for Medtronic, and the rep presenting bragged that other pump companies have come and gone but Medtronic will always be in it for the long haul.

Not saying I condone their attitude, just repeating what I heard.