- advertisement -

Animas sending less supplies for 90 day refill

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Belinda, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

Has anyone come across this? I just called animas and they stated they are only allow to send 46 insets and 46 cartridges for a 90 day period. I was getting 5 boxes. What the heck? What if one fails.. then you run out if you change every 2 days. And they can't send any more until the full 90 days are up. The rep said it was the insurance making this decision.

Anyone have any advice?

2. BaltoMom

BaltoMom Approved members

I don't have any advice, but recently received 46 sets instead of 50, too. We change 3 times a week and hopefully that will help us get through the 90 days. I'll also put in my reorder much earlier this time so I don't run out like I did last time.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

They also told us it was because of insurance. Though I haven't Minimed doing this yet.

4. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Yep, I was very confused when we got our order and it was for 46 instead of 50. But for us we have always only changed every 3 days so we have 15 extra for failed sites.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Currently, that would allow you to change a set every 1.9 days. So if you have your endo write your scrip to change set every 2.5 days, that still gives you a fairly good buffer.

It stinks, but they really are cracking down.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Yes I noticed that too. I called Animas about it, the gentleman i talked to told me first off I should have been informed of the new shipping amounts before I received my package. Apparently they were told to cut back on the amount of pump supplies they send out. They used to send everyone 5 boxes of infusion sets (50) and 5 boxes of cartridges (50) but now the most they are allowed to send out is I believe 46.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

So - who is affected by this? Is this for every insurance company or just certain ones?

I can imagine some people use a cartridge almost every other day as they only hold 200 - and less after priming and all that.

Wouldn't the number of cartridges you receive be tied to how much insulin you use per day?

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

FYI - we use minimed and they only send out 4 boxes of each for us. I would think it would depend on your script and your doctor could change it for you with an override.

9. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I was told it was for all insurances/medicaids. It didn't matter who covered you.

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

You're right and that's possibly why you still get 5 boxes of cartridges, but 46 infusion sets. Its a lot more likely that we will need an extra set or two because of a bad insertion or site gone bad. I can keep the cartridge if we have a bad site. We change sets and cartridges every 2 days, so this does put us in a tight spot.

And it seems to be a blanket policy - all insurance.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

In our case our last shipment one son got 5 boxes of sets but only 46 cartridges and the other son got 5 boxes of each! Go figure and the script was just written the same for both.

12. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Okay that is screwed up. I wonder which order was filled wrong, or if it was supposed to be both cartridges and sets. :confused:

I don't think they know what they're doing at Animas anymore. I used to love their customer service, but I'm considering Minimed next time, just because Animas is so screwed up.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Just buy your supplies somewhere else. Animas doesn't have a monopoly on selling the site and cartridges for their pumps.

I use www.fifty50pharmacy.com with no problems.

14. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

Do they send you 5 boxes of each?

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son's prescription calls for 5 boxes and that is what is sent. There may be some other supporting documents as well. It has been awhile since he started receiving 5 boxes.

They are very clear on when the shipment is coming. I have never asked what my charge will be as I pay 20% of the cost.

16. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

Thanks for the response Amy C

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Just told this week that they have made a decision at Animas that they will go back to shipping the 5 boxes of cartridges and sets like they used too...The August decision to change how many they ship was again changed in October...