- advertisement -

Animas Rep rubbed me the wrong way...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Nov 1, 2011.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Don't have a lot of time, but wondering if I'm not alone?

We've been having problems with Ella's Ping needing a prime before we can bolus. Don't know what's causing it. So I called Animas to hopefully get some answers. What I was left with was a feeling of not doing anything right!

First she told me that extreme temperature changes can bring about a priming issue, when the pressure in the cartridge changes. And I hear that and agree, but Ella doesn't wear her pump during the day. It just sits in one tempurature-consistant spot. She was insistent that she didn't want to wear it in school and so we have moved her to a shot in the AM of basal to cover her during the day. She has the site for bolus and a little overnight basal. Well, when I tell the rep this her tone suggested this was not the way to do things and she even said to me, "And this has been approved by her doctor?" And I wanted to say no SO BAD but didn't lol...

And then, apparently, all of us who use cartridges longer than one site change have to stop NOW. It is very wrong to do and could cause all sorts of issues. Apparently now THAT is the problem with the pump... :rolleyes:. Really? I've been doing that for years with no issue...

Ugh....

Sorry for the rant, we had a Loooooonnnng night :(

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

Is this your local Animas rep or the person at technical support? If it is the local person, I would ignore her. I would call technical support and tell them what is up and say that you can no longer trust this pump and want it replaced. ( ie if you have to prime before bolus each time, it is causing you to waste insulin (and $$) and more importantly since that is not what the pump should be doing, there is something wrong therefore how can you trust anything the pump is doing . The fact that the pump sits on a shelf all day is none of their concern. If you are following doctors orders for her diabetes care and you have been trained on a pump, then anything more in regards to your daughter is none of their business. Sounds to me like some salesman who really has NO clue as to what diabetes is.
    Go above the rep's head, speak to a supervisor and demand a new pump

3. mommylovestosing

No it was not local rep. Sorry I should have been more clear. This was tech support.

I'm changing the cartridge box and using new ones to see if that helps. She said sometimes you can get a bum box of cartridges. Although because I keep a few open boxes in one bigger box I'm not sure which goes with which so I started a brand new box. Storing cartridges together in a bigger box is another no-no, BTW... geez... try living with this disease!

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Not trying to alarm you, but isn't the problem where the pump thinks it hasn't been primed the same problem which can, rarely, lead to overdelivery of insulin? This is one pump problem that would really unnerve me, and I'd be calling Animas tech support and demanding a new pump.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Animas's have been known to have the prime not primed error if the cartridge is not seated well or the tubing has been pulled. This should not be happening all the time. The Animas pumps I have heard have the prime error all the time have been replaced by the company.
    Is this a replacement pump?

Never heard of that error with filling up the cartridge. We have done that many times.

6. mommylovestosing

Which is why I called...

She didn't seem alarmed so I wasn't, either.

She also had me pull out the cartridge and when I re-inserted it told me I only had to prime it. Is that right? I thought (perhaps mistakenly) that if you took the cartridge out you had to rewind, reload and prime? She said since we didn't change the amount of insulin in the cartridge then the piston is set fine and doesn't need to be reset. I tend to disagree? What do you all think?

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Oh my, you just had me think of something. Last night I had to call because our ok button was making the pump light up. We found that after looking in history it gave 5 0.00 boluses though every time we hit ok. So they are sending us another pump. But, the tech person had us pull out the cartridge and put it back in and prime a few drops. Not rewind. But she did say she wanted us to use a backup pump or shots. We are not doing that though.
    Pump seems to work fine now until we get the replacement.

8. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Nah, I do that when J snaps his tubing. Just pull out the cartridge, attach new tubing and prime the tubing full. I don't rewind because the cartridge is still at the same "setting", it's not like trying to put in a full cartridge, where you need the piston to be pulled back into the pump.

9. mommylovestosing

In theory yes, the piston should be in the same place. BUT in our small children we're talking about even .25 of a unit can make a BIG difference. And that is the reason a rewind and reload makes more sense to me. Although, I don't find myself pulling the cartridge out very much in the middle of using it :cool:

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I'd talk to more people. I might even get a little snarky and suggest that you are not comfortable dealing with a rep on a potentially hospitalizing pump malfunction issue when the rep has never even heard of the untethered method, and you'd like to speak to someone with more experience or training.

But probably I'd just talk to more people. My brother is a mechanic, he suggested to me once that if I have a question beyond the first ten FAQ I really need to keep asking until I get beyond the first level of tech support and on to someone who understands mechanics, etc. rather than just someone who has gone through tech training.

My fading confidence in Animas' concern about tech problems is one reason we are taking a pump break right now.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

After a major run around last year with a battery/bar issue, this is exactly the phrase I used and magically, that new pump was in my hands the next day.
    Wasn't being snarky in the least, was being realistic. My daughters battery died in the night and by the am she was 500+ and barfing.

12. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I always rewind and reload when I take the cartridge out for any reason. It only takes a moment. Most of the time, I notice a difference in the # of units left. Then, I prime again.

Just curious - are you suspending the pump while she is at school? If so, this might contribute to the prime error.

13. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

When we went untethered we often just let 'er drip. I read here it might help so that there isn't buildup or etc. I'd be concerned about evaporation, all sort of things, so I just let it keep flowing. When we turned off basals during the day I'd often go ahead and stay disconnected and do a fake prime just so I could satisfy myself that it was flowing, no bubbles had been introduced, no evaporation or whatever had happened since, as you say, the tiny amounts are a factor.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

us too. we only suspend for downloads

15. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I rewind. If the reservoir goes in at a slightly different angle or is tightened even a little bit more or less than it was before being pulled out, the piston wouldn't be right where it needs to be, right? I would be afraid of it pushing air rather than the reservoir and leading to highs, but I would be more afraid of damaging the piston. I do tend to be a bit paranoid, though...:rolleyes:

16. selketine

selketine Approved members

That the rep would question whether the way you are using the pump is known by the doctor would be an immediate "let me talk to your supervisor" moment for me. Untethered is not considered all that out there.

Even if your daughter was wearing the pump 24/7 - exactly what sort of extreme temp changes could she possibly be going through? Not like she works in a sauna and sleeps in a meat locker.:rolleyes:

I have never coordinated cartridge changes with infusion set changes nor was told to do so.

We do rewind and reload and prime if I pull out the cartridge for some reason.

I think you need a new pump.

It does concern me that Animas had the unfortunate problem with the cartridges not that long ago - that were leaking - and it took awhile for them to realize it and recall them. I'd think they want to take a look at both your pump and cartridges.

17. mommylovestosing

Thanks everyone!

For the suspend/not suspend question, that's the same question the rep asked too and, again, sensed her ignorance. I wanted to tell her, " Yep, I send my kid to school with a suspended pump that gets left in the nurses office, tweeting all day to remind her that's it's suspended." I mean really, shouldn't she know that's how a suspended pump operates? Okay, done that rant. No, I do not send her with a suspended pump. I have set up an alternative basal program.

I have not called Animas back. I plan on leaving it lie for now, and will up my stance if I get another Prime message...

This is already a new pump. We got one over the summer due to a priming issue we were having then - it was saying it was priming, priming, priming but nothing was coming out. I posted about it here, I believe :).