- advertisement -

animas pump question - re: cartridge cap

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Nov 9, 2010.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

does anyone ever have a problem with this loosening? it has for us a few times recently and I wasn't sure if this is common,.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

No problems with that on either Animas pump we've had (the cap/cartridge design was the same on both). I am assuming you mean the black cap on the pump.

This would worry me because it could affect insulin delivery - and if the cartridge came out and the plunger was pushed - it would deliver what is in the cartridge.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, Yes. It actually came all the way off dangling on the tubing at school one time. He was not getting insulin. Animas says you need to replace the rubber caps every 6 months because they can get stripped. They are plastic on the instead compared to the Cozmo they were metal.
    Ours that loosed was only maybe 2 months old. We got a replacement pump and the cap should have been new.
    A factor which I think help cause our problem is that he had the Animas rubber skin on the pump and that caused it to not slip all the way into the pump pouch. The pump with the rubber cap sticking out could be easily bumped on something and loosened.

Animas sent us a new cap for free because it was less than 6 months old.

4. joshuasgranny

joshuasgranny Approved members

Joshua's has come loose twice, and both times we got a "Pump Not Primed" alarm. Both times the cap came loose Joshua was swinging, so I am sure that swinging had something to do with it. I figured the pump cap may have rubbed on the swing and the motion of swinging loosened it, but who knows? The cap wasn't real loose, but loose enough to alarm.

Susan

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We maybe replace the cap once a year, I've never seen it stripped, it's just gotten gunky.

We had one incident where it loosened, and that was using a pump pack where the cap/tubing were sticking out (pump design). As a result, the cap would rub against the pants waistband and become loose. So, we definitely do not use that pump pack anymore!

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I just ordered and received an extra battery cover and cartridge cap. I keep them in my D supply bag for DS - it would be just like us to have one of the caps roll under something that I couldn't reach under to get it back!
    Attached is pic of my D supply bag :D Found it at the thrift store. Now I only carry my purse if I'm alone and grab this D bag if DS is going anywhere with me.
    (yes, DS is 13 but is Autistic and still loves stuffed animals. He has a dog backpack but had to have the straps cut off (texture issues). His Dex resides in the dog and he carries it around to keep the Dex in range)

7. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Yes, a couple of times per year at least.

8. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Nope. Never had the cap come loose. And I've never gotten a new one in the 1 1/2 years we've been using it.

That said, Charlotte wears her pump in a pocket I've sewn into an undershirt. I rarely have to get it out because of the meter/remote. It doesn't get bothered much that way. That may be why we've never had a problem with it coming loose.

9. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Yes we have, had to call and order a new one b/c it kept coming loose