- advertisement -

Animas Ping for 2 yr old: painful insertions?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Christina Williamson, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Christina Williamson

Christina Williamson Approved members

We are in the process of obtaining our first Animas Ping pump for my 2yr old daughter, as her sugars vary widely with frequent dangerous highs and lows and the fact that she is resisting/crying more with injections.

I anticipate discomfort upon site insertion, but am wondering if anyone can attest to how the insertion feels compared to syringe injections? We are excited about fewer 'pokees' but I'm nervous about hurting her more with site insertion. Thanks!

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

My grandson was diagnosed at age 2, on the pump at about 3.5. We loved the pump. He was afraid of the insertion so we started using Emla (a numbing cream) and that was fine. Then we just started doing the insertions while he slept - still do that and he doesn't even wake up after 7 years of it. It turns out it is seeing the needle and supplies, the insertion really doesn't hurt any more. Good luck.

3. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

My daughter started the ping at 2

We eventually switched to and still use the contact detach sets. They seem to frighten her less and we don't need to change them as often. We had a lot of trouble with kinks and clogs at first because she has very little body fat and the contact detach solved that.

Before we started I tried a inset on myself and I did not find it significantly worse than a shot however they do sting for a few minutes after inserting.

The pump has absolutely changed our daughters life for the better but there is a sharp learning curve. The first few days we considered giving up and going back to shots. I'm so glad we didn't.

4. heypb

heypb Approved members

We have used Animas Ping and Contact Detach sets since Ty was two. He didn't react differently to the infusion set insertions than MDI. Especially in the beginning we were careful not to let him see the infusion set, but would always let him know when we were going to insert it. And we would make sure he was distracted, having him practice counting, reading a book to him or watching one of his favorite shows.

Over time, as he grew less accustomed to multiple injections, he may have actually become more sensitive to the infusion set insertion. At that point we started using EMLA. That's great stuff.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

EMLA is probably the way to go. Why have the kid experience any pain at all? Sometimes site insertions really hurt.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have always used an icepack before insertions with a steel needle set.. My daughter hated the sticky that had to go over EMLA and didn't mind the ice at all.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My son started on the Revel with the Sure T steel set (contact detach) days after he turned 3. We have never used ice, numbing cream, or anything with him. He cried and fussed at first, as he had with shots, but it was all about fear rather than about pain. About 2 months in he realized it did not hurt him (minus the occasional "bad" site change) and he stopped putting up a fight. Now, he gets a snack in his hand, stands in front of the TV, and drops his pants for us without complaint.

If you are concerned, I second the suggestion that you should try getting some sample sites from your endo or call the pump companies. Stick them in yourself and see how they feel. I know doing insertions on myself really reassured me that I was not torturing my son!

8. Christina Williamson

Christina Williamson Approved members

Thanks everyone! I very much appreciate the suggestions and reassurance! We are both excited and anxious about the brave new world of pumping, but we want her to have the best possible opportunities for optimal control and comfort!

9. beckis

beckis Approved members

medtronic with injector.

When my daughter (4 yrs) started pumping we tried different things, and found that medtroic quick sets used with an injector or cleo sets (also have injector make things go way better it is fast and they don't see needle. my daughter is 12 now and still uses medtronic quick sets with her animas. Wouldn't let me use anything else.

10. Mish

Mish Approved members

It really depends on what infusion site you use. You do have options in that regard.

11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I'm a little late on this but figured if you still needed advice, I have some :) . My daughter was diagnosed at 1 1/2 but didn't go on the pump until a month ago and she's 4 now. I have physically worn the different insets and stuck myself with needles (everything short of actually injecting insulin lol) because I didn't want to do anything to her if I didn't know how it felt first. So, I do know how they actually feel.

I'm not going to lie, when pinching hard enough, I don't even feel the syringe going in. I personally didn't think her needles hurt AT ALL. All of the insets ( I think) have a bigger needle, but remember, only 1 needle every 3 days basically. I wore a steel needle set (the one where you just stick it in) and I definitely felt it. I obviously have more fat than a child and if I didn't like it I wouldn't think a child would either. A flexible cannula for us way the way to go. We've had one kinked site and I think it was just because we put it in her stomach and with sitting and stuff like that, it just happened. We check her site so often though that it will probably never be able to go too high ( I hope) I highly recommend using inset 30's if/when she does go on the pump. It's automatic insert, quick and easy. They have been a God send and my daughter does not cry anymore with changing her site. She cried like someone was killing her when we were using the comfort infusion sets. I looked at you tube videos and did research on them before switching my daughter and I highly suggest you do the same! Good lucK :)

12. sdh6778

sdh6778 New Member

Cleo 90deg sites

My son was 17 months when we started pumping.. And he barely had any bodyfat. We used the Cleo sites with the Animas pump at the time. He never complained about them. We have solely used his butt from the age of 17 months to present he is 8now. Just have to make sure the sites are rotated well. We change every 3days. We recently switched to the inset angled sties. Hoping to use the thighs as well as the butt. But he complains alot about the site. So once this order is up we will probably go back to the Cleo sites.
    Hope this helps.

When he was dx I tried every site on the market at the time. And the Cleo was the most comfortable.