- advertisement -

Animas or Mini Med

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Shelly's Mom, May 12, 2006.

1. Shelly's Mom

Shelly's Mom New Member

Hi,

I'm new to this portion of the site. My daughter who is 19 and away at college is finally ready for a pump. Since leaving home last year, she's had a real struggle managing her BG, with her results all over the map and her AIc at 9.5 during her last dr. visit.

Our insurance will cover either an animas or mini med pump. I've heard the Animas 1250 is easy to use -- what exactly does that mean? What about mini-med?

She needs something that's easy to use. Any advice would be very much appreciated.:)

2. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

I'm 16 and have been on the Minimed Paradigm for 3 1/2 years and love it. It's very easy to use, easy to change your programming around. Are there any specifics that she's looking for? I would check out both companies websites, I know www.minimed.com has a lot of great info about their pumps, specific things. Then check out www.animascorp.com also and see which one you like better. Good luck!

3. Shelly's Mom

Shelly's Mom New Member

Was it hard to learn how to use when you first started using it? Are you able to make insulin adjustment, sensitivity calculations, carb calcs, easily?

4. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

My son Ben is 2 and a half years old and has been pumping since he was 14 months old.
    He uses a Minmed Paradigm pump and has never had a problem. It is a great pump, very easy to use and small.
    At the beginning learning about the pump is inensive but not hard. It just takes time and practice.
    It is absolutely worth the effort and will drastically improve your daughters life and BG's.
    Best of luck.

5. faithe113001

faithe113001 Approved members

No, it was not hard to use at all when I first started, it was easy to learn. After you get used the the setup it's great. It's very easy to make adjustments to your basals and ratios.

6. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI
    ok both are relitivly the same except for a few things..the minimed hold more insulin ( resivoir is 300 units) The animas is only 200 units... The minimed is not fully waterproof, the animas is... also the animas adn other pumps can use a univeral inset ( more choices to use for a inset) , while minimed you have to use theres only.. What i ahve heard is the minimed is great for older kids/ adults.. due to the amount of insulin being used.. vs kids where they are more active and use less insulin also they have a greater chance of really needing the waterproof feature ( ie swiming, water balloon fights ect ect ect) I personally like both but picked the animas for my 5 year old...

hope this helps

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulin_pump_models.php

7. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

Which Pump

The biggest decision you'll ever make. choosing a pump is like chosing a pair of shoes... some times you like the brown pair and sometimes you like the black!

Some things I did was to check out the FDA website. Since these are medical devices when one mailfunctions there has to be a report on it, you can find that information here http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfPMN/pmn.cfm Now you know your toaster goes on the fritzs occisionaly so don't be dismayed by issues. We've had our pump for 5 years and the company has replaced it without question every time there's been an issue. When I was looking for a pump for our son I looked at it as a long term relationship I wanted to know how each company delt with me before I was a customer so I called the support numbers and asked questions.

I also met with the two companies at that time who were the leaders one guy made an appointment but didn't keep it and even claimed he didn't make it... The other drove all the way from Texas to show me the pump in Norther Oklahoma. Service and support are I feel the most important issue I hate to say this but at sometime something will go worng and that's the last time to find out you do not like the way they handle a situation!

They basicly have the same functionality and a lot of times the Endos will lead you in one direction. We didn't follow our endos direction and I am really glad because we would have been stuck with the disetronic pump that was pulled from the market just 6 months later by the FDA!

The are things I like about the Minimed and the Animas pump, one company jumps out infront of the other in features then the other one comes right back.

If I were chosing again I would do the same thing I just explained. While Minimed seems to have the advantage right now(can't get the pump yet though) I think the recent events in Animas company standings says that there's a whole lot to come from them. Lifescan just finished the aqusition of Animas after Animas aquired some other techonology call MIMS technology. Like I said one company leaps infront of the other so what you need is the features that fit your needs today and the support and relationship with the company... One thing I've also noticed and that's the sales rep... I'd look for one that's been with the company and doesn't jump around, I've seen this alot We've had the same rep for 5 years and I he's told me that there are maybe 5 people in our geographical area with this pump but I see him at all the functions and he always is nice and speaks to me.

I recon my relationship to our rep and the company to the old Cheers show. it's that personnal and authentic!

FYI the other companies CDE is a great friend and even knows our son by name and I really wish she was our CDE... Our rep and their CDE went to diabetes camps together years ago... It's a small world out there and in a sense were all family!

Good luck!

8. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

Which pump

O yea don't forget to check out the PUMP information here @ Childrenwithdiabetes... It was also a major contributor to our decision!

9. morechoff

morechoff New Member

Animas IR 1250 Pump

The Animas IR 1250 Pump my daughter has works great! It is easy to use as I am sure the Minimed one is. Program it and off it goes.

It is waterproof. Also the display window is larger that that of the Minimed pump. Both seem to have the same features (more or less).

It is so much better than shots! You have the needle inserted (change every 3 days) and all you do when you eat is enter the carbs, hit a button, and viola! No shots to give.

We had the pump for less than 3 weeks and the H1AC went from 7.9 to 6.3. The BG levels have been much better.

10. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Buy the Animas...

Minimed has a lot of market share, but WATERPROOF and LAUER LOCK should be getting your attention.

If I were buying this year, it'd be the Animas.

11. tralea

tralea Approved members

Hi Shelly's Mom. The Animas is great, though I've heard the same about the Minimed. Yes, the 1250 is waterproof. It also does have the largest display screen and delivers in very small increments. The food database is neat, but I don't use it. I just use the Calorie Calorie book. The Carbsmart feature is great too and how that works is she adds the total number of carbs she going to eat in a meal, she puts in the total carbs plus her pre meal blood sugar, and it adds how much insulin she needs for that meal. I think the Cozmo also has a similar feature and the Minimed may also. If she takes a lot of insuiln in one day, she may want to consider the Minimed or Cozmo, though I personally need less insulin since using my pump. Yeah, when I took shots, my total basal in one day was 52 units. Now it is 17.5 units, so the Animas cartridge is fine for me. The Inset infusion offered from Animas is also very easy to use and I highly recommend it if she does go with the 1250. When I first got my pump, the Animas pump educator was very helpful and extremely compatible to work with. I still email her with any questions I may have. Animas customer support is also great. Your daughter should review all pumps and go with the one that would work the best for her.