- advertisement -

animas or medtronic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AliciaM, Jan 8, 2014.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

So up until today I was totally sold on the animas pump. I liked that it had a meter remote, "waterproof" to an extent, and the color screen. However, I met with the medtronic rep today since I figured I should look at all options. Now I'm confused. Both are pretty comparable. The medtronic is the veo (530g) with the enlite. Comes with the transmitter for the enlite and 5 sensors without paying any extra. Still have to look into it but the rep said ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program) that I'm under pays for sensors...someone else with ODSP in ontario said they don't so my mom's going to call my odsp worker and ask about it.

Can you all tell me what made you choose one over the other and if you've had both at one point which you liked better? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about the enlite but both the medtronic and animas pump seem to get good reviews so now I'm a bit confused as to which I should go with. I have a good couple months to choose I would just rather pick sooner rather than later and stick to my decision.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

do not want to make a controversial post, but I tried the animas and I like the Medtronic a lot better. I never would have thought that would be the case and actually had a bias against the Medtronic originally

Some salient issues - the software for the Medtronic is a lot better than the animas software (in my opinion). uploading pump data is much easier, animas uses IR technology which is pretty old fashioned technology. the Medtronic reads and uploads the pump easily. with IR you have to be really fussy about the position to the pump to the dongle. the Medtronic just uses a usb stick to upload

The Medtronic is just as waterproof. Medtronic is just not marketed as waterproof. if an in warranty Medtronic pumps breaks due to water it will be replaced, animas pumps break for the same reason due to cracks.

Any infusion set on the market can be used with Medtronic you just have to but the leur lock cartridges
    http://www.diabetesexpress.ca/insul...pump-fifty50-medical-18ml-reservoir-p-18.html

The expensive for batteries is considerably more with animas. The meter remote for animas alone goes through more batteries than the Medtronic pump. And the batteries required for the pump itself are considerably more expensive
    You can link up to 3 meters to the Medtronic (right now nova max link and bayer) When you use any of the 3 you results will be beamed to your pump, and can be viewed in carelink.

If you lose your animas remote, a replacement is 180. If you lose a Medtronic meter a replacement is free. Only one remote can be linked to animas
    You can save a lot of money using a 300-unit cartridge. Regardless of your insulin needs you can use a 300-unit cartridge until it is depleted. This saves money

Medtronic gives you a over a month's worth of free supplies, and 5 free sensors and a transmitter

3. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

So you like the medtronic so far better than the animas-pump wise I mean. The rep did say if I went in water by accident they'd replace it no prob so that's good. Just didn't know how valuable the meter remote is with animas. I know there is that lil car fob looking remote you can bolus from with the medtronic pump just kinda makes me uneasy that there is no screen on it to confirm the bolus amt without taking out the pump itself. Have you used the cgm with the veo and has it been accurate?

The rep said since I'm on ODSP that the cgm sensors would be covered. Looking into this since someone on another forum said no it wasn't covered at all through ODSP and he says it is..so going to get my mom to call my odsp worker to ask about it.

I did like the software he showed me for the medtronic and how easy it was to upload. The software is similar to the info my meter gives me since I have the freestyle insulinx with the bolus calculator on it. Dunno if I'd use the bayer meter since I really love my freestyle.

Did you sign up for the auto-shop option for the infusion sets/cartridges?

Oh and does the veo have an IOB feature?

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've been using Animas for years and are pleased. My daughter really likes the remote feature, especially for times when she doesn't have on an outfit where it's easy to get to the pump. It's an easy pump to use. You can use any infusion set too. I like the screen, it's easy to see even when I'm not wearing my glasses. You can use regular batteries on Animas, but you don't get much life out of them as it's designed to be run on Lithium. We get 4-5 weeks out of a battery, and about 6 weeks out of the meter, which uses regular ones.

But the PP pretty much hit most of the points that frustrate us most. Biggest is the fact that it is only a 200u cartridge, and when you think about it, it's not a true 200u you can get into it. The IR upload is definitely finicky, but we only use it about 4x's a year (LOL, just before going to doc), otherwise we rely on CGM CGM readings more. We don't use the food library on the Ping because honestly, we forget it's there and we have usually already looked it up on Figwee.
    In the long run, both are good pumps. No matter what, there will always be things we love about a pump and things we hate:)

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

-there are a few other issues animas expects you to buy cartridge caps and reservoir caps. they suggest buying a cartridge cap every 6 months.
    -the paint was badly chipped on my animas almost immediately and they refused to replace it based on badly chipped paint
    - at the end of your 4 year period if your MM breaks MM gives you a loaner MM for a year. animas does not do this

- I had to return the animas in the 1st three months under the ADP provision. Animas threatened that I would never be able to get an ADP pump again or my supply funding if I did that

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We don't get them every 6. I usually get one new one a year.
    No, they don't return based on paint chipping, so you need to become creative in your ways of phrasing stuff. Don't ask for a new pump based on the paint. Say the protective cover isn't staying on the pump and you are very concerned the screen will scratch. Or, you feel like the motor is grinding.
    Animas will give you a loaner pump while you decide on getting a new one, even if it's out of warranty. My neighbor just did this and it was a $75 fee.

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

It is more of an Ontario thing, in Ontario Medtronic is trying to fit better with what the government wants. The government is hoping pts will use their pump for 5 years. Therefore, if you are a MM customer and your pump breaks past the 4-year mark they just give you a loaner without the government processing a new one.

Cozmo did something similar they warranted their pumps for 5 years to fit with the government program.

With animas, (in Ontario) if your pump breaks past the 4-year mark they process new paperwork for a new pump. They even encourage it immediately past the 4-year mark and ask you to look for a defect.

The ping does not have a food database in Canada, but you can input your own food database and they ship a calorie king book with the ping. The ping software also does not work with windows 8 as of the time I got the cd.

I do not think I would be as unhappy with the ping as I was if I was not a former cozmo user. If it was my first pump, I would probably be fine with it.

A lot of my preference for the MM is based on things that are hard to articulate. I find the menus on the MM much more logical and intuitive.

I think companies are afraid to make their menus even similar to MM bc they fear legal action. I think MM successfully took action on cozmo for their menus being similar.

With animas combo bolus is the term for square wave and dual wave. I think they should have different names because they are different things.

8. jozic

jozic Approved members

We only have experience with Minimed so I can not comment on Animas but I would like to add great Minimed customer service in Toronto area. Few times in our 7+ years of using it we had to replace the pump. Every time courier with the loaner pump was at my door in less than hour after the phone call (even after midnight).

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Can you trial the pumps?

10. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Thanks for the posts so far.

I think I will go with medtronic. I think when I get the pump I won't really be disappointed with any pump I get because I think any pump at this point (other than the omnipod for my personal preferences) is better than shots. I find it hard to regulate day to day because my schedule has been changing so much. I went from working everyday to only working weekends and now not working at all due to a leave from work. Stressed out beyond belief because I still haven't heard back from HR at work as to what's going on with my job..

My mom was also diagnosed a few days ago officially with type 2. She had seen a dr a couple years ago who said she was pre-diabetic and her a1c was a bit high and she didn't really take it seriously. She has rheumatoid arthritis as well so she's really overwhelmed right now which is making me really stressed out. I don't want her to know how worried I am because I know it will only make her feel worse.

Anyway since I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on medtronic for ontario residents think I'll go with them. My rep is also giving me a ton of free stuff. Some cases and extra clips as well as the "thigh thing" and another thing to go under clothing to hold the pump as well as I think the lil key fob like remote. Since my endo I see at my GP's office cant prescribe pumps I'm switching to another one which is about 5 min away from my current one so I can see her a few times before june when I can apply for ADP. Rep said it was easier to go to a smaller clinic than through the hospital since it's a much longer process because they make you do pump classes that are scheduled through the hospital and other training sessions and at the smaller clinic I can just do all of this with the D nurse.

Not sure if this is true but rep also said since I'm on disability support that the sensors for the enlite are covered. So I get all the cgm stuff and the sensors for free.

Meg- you can't trial a pump like you can in the states. There is a "trial period" but all the paper work for the pumps and training has to be done first before you can get any pump then you get 90 days to return it if you don't like it. I don't think I'll regret going with medtronic or animas just because it's my first pump and I don't think I'll be that picky. If it's a pump and it does it's main job I'm happy lol Maybe I'll be pickier later on when I know some more features and when new tech comes out. Rep was telling me there is a new medtronic pump that will be out in europe soon and prob out in canada within the next 2 years so we shall see..

11. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

When I first started pumping I was very close to getting an Animas (back then it would have been the 1250!). I loved the silver color and thought it looked cool. I loved the idea of it being the smallest pump. When I saw and played with the pumps on person, I decided immediately on the Cozmo. The programming on the Animas took way too many button pushes. Just programming a calculated bolus took nearly a dozen. The pump gives you the recommendation, then makes you program that in on the next screen. They say this is a safety feature to make you think about how much insulin you're giving. This makes some degree of sense, but really, isn't having the recommendation be the default safer, limiting user entry errors? Honestly, it's fairly well known that Medtronic has a patent on that technology. There are MANY users here that love their Animas pumps and don't have issues at all with this minor programming difference. It was a big deal to me, though, and one I did not pick up on through the online reading material. That's why deciding what you value and playing with the pumps in person matters.

Finally, I have been involved with various diabetes forums for years. Rare is the time that you hear of someone dissatisfied with their pump choice. I think realizing that takes some of the stress away. My first pump was a Cozmo and I loved it. I got a Paradigm for my second (and third and forth) pumps and have loved those too. They're all great pumps and the main features are standard on all models.

12. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Does anyone know if I end up getting my hands on a medtronic one touch meter that links wit the pump will it work with a veo (530g) I'm not a fan of the bayer...

13. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

Alicia - I've checked with Medtronic twice and they both said that the OneTouch Link does link with the 530G. I'm not crazy about the Bayer either. Also, the OneTouch test strips are tier 1 on our insurance where the Bayer are tier 3, so huge price difference too. Our 530G will be in on Wednesday and my DS gets it turned on officially on Friday, so we'll know then for sure.

14. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Darn lol oh well then I'll just keep using my freestyle then. I love the test strips. Sample is small and lets you add more if you didn't add enough the first time. I'll just manually input the bg's no big deal.