- advertisement -

Animas or medtronic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is correct. The only difference in the two pumps with respect to waterproofness (is that a word?) is that Animas markets their pumps as waterproof and Medtronic says, "Well, it's waterproof until your kid drops it on the floor a few times, and do you really want to be immersing a $6,000 piece of medical equipment that may or may not have cracks in it?" ;)

For me, the most important difference between the two pumps is the interface. I think it's much quicker to do anything on the MM pump, not only because there is a dedicated back button, but because of the nature of the bolus wizard. There is a dedicated bolus wizard button AND you don't need to dial up the dose at the end. I can see why people with toddlers on Animas like the Animas remote, because it does take quite a few more steps to bolus with the Animas than with MM. That being said, if the remote is your most important feature, I'd get an Omnipod. It is a full-functioning remote, whereas the Animas remote is much more limited.

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

My MM pump has a remote as well, have never taken it out of the package, but it's there.

3. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

both pumps are water proof until there is a crack in it and water gets in it. Medtronics will replace a pump that dies with water damage. My kiddo takes baths and swims with her Medtronic pump at times. Medtronic's Revel also does the small bolus/basal as Animas, but Medtronic does the bolus rate at .025 increments while I do not believe you can do that with Animas. Yes Medtronics does have a remote, but it is not like the Animas or Pod. If a Child walks away while the pump is giving insulin on the animas it can actually stop the insulin being given. The Medtronic pump is in my opinion much easier/faster/less steps to give insulin! My daughter went on her Medtronics pump at 2 and then we upgraded to the revel when she turned 4 and she will be 5 in July. We have no issues with the pump at all and love it. Medtronic also has the CGMs that you can or cant not use.

I agree have them both out to show you what you like. Most people say with a toddler /younger kid the remote of the Animas is easier to give insulin. I do not find it hard at all to do it on the Medtronic pump. Seriously it is just like 5 button pushes and done! and she can run off as the insulin is given. Medtronics also gives insulin through out the hr and not at the top of the hour.

4. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Our endo center gives kids interested in pumping a packet with info and brochures form each pump manufacturer. In Medtronic folder they have a one page letter about why they stopped marketing the pump as waterproof, and list the water resistant specs. They are identical to the waterproof specs for Animas and omnipod. I understand the reasoning, and actually appreciate a company that is willing to publish a policy reversal stating they feel their previous stance was erroneous. Just makes them seem willing to be accountable for their own errors. Is it partly a marketing ploy - sure, they're the only ones not selling a 'waterproof' pump, and they want to show / tell you why. For me, it worked ;)

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I guess it is time to buy an auqapac for DD. We live in the pool / lake / water park the entire summer! It gets hot here! :)

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

This comes up every so often, and you are right ... most of the time.

The difference is that Animas delivers a basal dose every 3 minutes no matter what the hourly rate is. So if the basal is 0.025/hour -- Animas divides that by 20 (I'm too lazy to do the math) and delivers that tiny amount every 3 minutes.

For Minimed, the smallest basal increment it can deliver is 0.025 units, so if the basal is 0.025/hour -- Minimed delivers that amount once an hour. As the hourly basal rates go up, Minimed will deliver basal more often until it also delivers basal every 3 minutes.

Mostly, I think this difference is inconsequential, but I could see it possibly mattering when you are using very low basal rates and you want to disconnect and/or use temp basals.

I think this is one of those things that you can convince yourself is really important but really you adjust to how your pump does things and it really isn't all that big of a deal in the end.