- advertisement -

Animas or medtronic

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

I know you all have see this a thousand times....advice on pumps...
    Here ie my history.
    My dd is just turning three, very active with 5 year old bother.
    Love to be outside, In the pool and playing and running around as rough as she can.
    Here is MY history .....I am so un educated on these that I need/want help. Ihave a hard time with computers etc, so the easier the use the better, friendly is probably high on my list too, as well as other parents who have similar age child etc....help...I have to April at a is our next clinic.....do they both have Cgm?? And is that a must for us to want to have??

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

Call the companies and ask them to send you info. After you have reviewed the info, have the reps come to your home so that you can see, touch, and "play" with them. That really is the only way to know for sure which one will work best for you. Good luck! :cwds:

3. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Caspi's advice is excellent.

We have Animas ping. Love it and have always had great customer service and the pump has been reliable. My son started wearing it at age 4 1/2, you couldn't find a more active kid. The pump has been put through everything and then some. Others will tell you they haven't had the same level of satisfaction with the pump reliability or service.

I encourage you to search this forum to read the threads. Not because you won't get good responses here but because you will get more opinions that way.

We don't have CGM - I have to admit some times I wish we did. I mean, who wouldn't want the information on trend in addition to the bg of the moment? Still, if we have a reason to believe we need that info then we just re-test in 15 minutes but I can definitely appreciate where a cgm would be great for basal testing, among other useful instances.

That said - I don't regret going with Animas at all.

4. Williamsville mommy

I had no idea that they would ome to your home. Thank you

5. Williamsville mommy

Thank u I am so grateful for the help

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Some will, some won't. It varies.

Really, the differences between Animas and Medtronic are minimal. I'd get ahold of both and push buttons and play with them. It's really an individual preference. They both do the same thing.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

I personally would insist on the home visit. With the amount of money they make off of their product (and supplies), I don't think it is too much to ask so that you can make an informed decision within the comfort of your home and not with a bunch of people at a pump seminar. I say this from experience -- Omnipod wouldn't even assign us a rep - I had to go through their 800 # for everything. While we are VERY happy with Omnipod, it took us quite some time to learn and understand all the features the OP had to offer and if it wasn't for CWD and Facebook, I would have been totally lost.

8. tuckerce

tuckerce Approved members

Animas vs. Medtronic

We have been pumping with Animas for 6 months after switching from Cozmo and it has been a great experience. I will say that it seemed complicated with the programming, etc at first. But once we got the hang of things, it has been smooth.

When we were about the switch, I did contact a Medtronic rep to ask questions and I gave them my insurance information, just as I did with Animas rep to know ouer out-of-pocket expense. I was UPSET to find out that the Medtronic rep ordered a pump for my daughter without our authorization, I never received the pump, but was sent a bill for almost $1,000.:mad: They threatened to send me to collection because of non-payment. Until finally they realized that I had not signed an authorization for the pump and the pump was never delivered to me, but was sitting in their returns department.

Customer service had a lot to do with OUR DECISION.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

This is interesting, as we had a somewhat similar experience. I had called up Medtronic to inquire about their pump, spoke with a rep on the phone, and like you gave them our endo and insurance info so that we could see what the bottom line would be. The next day got I call from their California office to "finalize the order" and let me know what my balance due would be. They had already faxed a request for the letter of medical necessity to our endo! :eek: I told them we hadn't even SEEN one yet, let alone made a decision (and then immediately called my endo to tell them NOT to send them anything!)

ETA: This is NOT a bash on Medtronic at all. This was just a case of an overzealous sales rep. ;) I actually wanted my son to go with MM because of how long they had been in the pump business, but my son insisted on going tubeless, which is why he is on the Omnipod.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  10. theamusingredhead

theamusingredhead Approved members

interesting

same Medtronic situation here too!

that being said I am considering switching to MM to be able to use the MySentry.

11. fiaz

fiaz Approved members

We just went through the trial with both companies and we liked both. It was hard to pick one. It came down to going with Animas because another family member uses it. For us, the choice and trials of infusion sets (which are pretty common to both) was what took time.

12. Williamsville mommy

Thank u everyone. Have animus on Monday.....medtronic Wednesday....I will keep u all informed...thank u....

13. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Just a FYI...

I had a rep from both companies come to the building I work in, bring some sample infusion sets so we could learn and practice and give me a crash course. I was able to save a lot of precious time and make sure my son could tolerate the sets. So far...so good. We have not yet decided which one we want.

14. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

DD just started the Ping almost 2 weeks ago. What I love about it so far. WATERPROOF...she can swim and take showers without being detached. The REMOTE. I can test her in the middle of the night and deliver insulin without futzing with her pump. BASAL delivery. The ping delivers basal every 3 minutes....I believe the Medtronic delivers the basal at the top of the hour. (someone correct me if I am wrong) I like the fact that the insulin is slowly being released for the basal. This might be something to consider for kids who are insulin sensitive. Bottom line pumps all do the same thing...keep our kids pumped with insulin. ;) good luck and happy pumping!

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Medtronic spreads basal over the hour too. And it's as waterproof as the Animas. Which is to say totally waterproof brand new, and less so as time goes on. ;)

16. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

Just my 2 cents. We researched all of them (MM, Animas and OmniPod). We ultimately went with Minimed for a few reasons. First, I thought it was much more user-friendly. I was so confused with the Ping (of course I was also very pregnant at the time, so maybe had baby brain?). Also, CGM is integrated into the Revel(MM) pump. We just started CGM yesterday and I already love the fact that the info is on his pump instead if a separate PDM. Finally, we found out about mySentry right before we made our decision and that sealed the deal. We have mySentry now (though it's not working,yet) so we will see if that was a good deciding factor or not...
    Overall, we are very happy with the MM and have had nothing but incredible, over-the-top great customer service!

17. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Thanks for the basal clarification. :cwds: When I researched medtronic pumps I didn't see a medtronic pump you could swim or take showers with. I saw that their pumps could by accident get splashed, but not immersed. Did I misread?

To the OP...I came across this chart when we first started researching pumps. It outlines the basic pump features of the pod, ping, medtronic.

18. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

No, you read correctly, but what the PP said is correct, too. The mm pump itself is waterproof, but it will get microscopic cracks over time, and these may let the water in. As a result, it is not rated as waterproof, although a new pump should be perfectly fine in the water for a prolonged time (my son played in the ocean with his cousins for 45 minutes this summer with a new Revel on, and didn't have a problem--they were only supposed to be in up to their knees, but they got carried away, and because he was still wearing his clothes rather than swim trunks, my husband didn't think to take the pump off!).

I can't imagine that the Ping is any less prone to getting cracks or that, once cracked, there is any less chance of water getting in (although I could be wrong about this). The bottom line for me was that I did not worry about the waterproof thing when making my decision because I wouldn't (purposely!) let my son wear either brand in the water.

19. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

2 main differences

The two main difference that that I found when researching was this -

Animas - has the remote - you can bolus without physically touching the pump by using the remote. Especially great for busy toddlers

Medtronic - has the integrated CGM built in. Even if you don't want to use it to start with, the capabilities are there if you want to add the sensors and other materials later.

Although I really wanted the remote feature, we decided to go with Medtronic simply because of the integrated CGM that I thought would benefit my son more.

We started pumping at the age of three also (my son is 5 now) and have been very happy with our Medtronic Revel. Other than that I think both pumps work about the same.

20. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

MM pumps are just as waterproof as Animas pumps. The difference is MM didn't want to constantly replace drowned pumps. All pumps start out waterproof but eventually get tiny cracks through everyday wear and tear, allowing water in. Therefore, MM retracted their waterproof rating back in their first generation of paradigm pumps.