- advertisement -

Animas offer for Cozmo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If I wait and stay on the Cozmos I will never have an intergrated pump/CGM until 3 years when I have to purchase a brand new one.I want to be able to keep moving with the technology. With love CGMs and 'was' looking forward to Cozmo/Navigator intergration which will never happen now.

I also get free vacation loaner pumps from Animas. Cozmo if they continue that charges $50.

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Again , I want to be able to get updates and an intergrated pump. That is part of the reason we bought Cozmo last year they told us they were intergrating with a CGM.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Carol: What are you looking for out of integration? I know that it means you only carry one device instead of two, but what else do you hope to gain from it. The CGMS readings don't feed into the bolus wizard, it doesn't use IOB to factor into predictive alarms, so I'm wondering where the benefit is EXCEPT only having one device instead of two?

4. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm also curious as to why you chose Animas over MM if you're looking for integration.

5. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

As far as the intergration, that could be next year who knows, but when they do that then it will be one thing to carry around in their pump pouch.

When my kids are in sports. Those two devices can be a pain.

6. Nancy in VA

What sports do they play? I just ask because of the range that so many people are getting on the Navigator, I wonder why they would have to have 2 pouches - couldn't mama on the sidelines have the 2nd one?

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Well, in some sports yes. Like basketball we hold it. But, in baseball or soccer they are too far away to get data.
    Also, it is not just sports. Hanging around skateboard, running with kids they have it with them.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Yep, and the Navigator wasn't designed to be worn on a waistband, like most pumps and cgms devices. This makes it a huge problem with sports. I do not like leaving stuff on the sideline while playing sports, because I don't have access to my numbers and it can get stolen.

Yes it has a belt clip, but it's clunky, awkward, and is not meant to handle sports.

Ironically, it was designed just like a BG meter, which completely neglects the fact that it goes everywhere with the patient, including sports, traumatic situations, etc. Also, the batteries can shift around in the compartment, which can cause the receiver to lose charge, and then you lose your sensor! Happened five times to me! Imagine how easily that happens with sports!

But oh well, that's the least of the problems I have with this device.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

In my opinion, the biggest advantage of integration (besides obviously only having to carry one device) is that all of your data appears in your reports. My CGM data would not be as meaningful if I couldn't see when we had bolused, run temp basals, what meter BG was, whether we gave a correction or just dosed for food, etc.

10. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Carol -

I think we've made the same decision today. My dad has been using the Ping for 4 months now and LOVES it! For me the warranty issue isn't a huge deal, because we have 2 years left on our Cozmo warranty anyway, so we're covered with either company. Honestly who knows what the time committments are going to be for the 4 market research surveys required by Minimed and I don't really have a lot of spare time floating around these days.

I like the fact that the Animas is partnered with dexcom, the new Seven Plus looks pretty fly, if you ask me. When we were shopping for pumps to begin with Cozmo was our first choice and Animas was our second choice. As time has gone on, I've seen what Animas has to offer and I've really liked their products. It isn't that I dislike Minimed, because I do like them, it's just the Animas is more what we are looking for right now I think.

11. Diana

Diana Approved members

In my opinion, integration becomes more important the older my kid gets. Right now, I'm totally in charge of everything, so I don't want it integrated. Eventually, he'll be in charge and integration will be more convenient for him. I would hate to have it integrated right now.

One upside of integration is that the receiver is always in range.

I think my ideal is Animas integrates the Dex with the pump AND remote, and the remote has an awesome-Navigator like range.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I totally agree on everything you said!!!!! I should change my original post to say what I really meant my intergration. In my mind, it is not just a pump and CGM intergrated , but it would have a separate parent monitor to use at night or where ever. That way when my boys are off at a friends or whatever they could just one one device (the pump). I really don't know if I'll upgrade to the ANimas intergrated pump if it doesn't have a separate monitor. That is why I love the Navigator. I agree totally the range rocks on the Navigator. I will weigh all of that in the future. We are staying on the Navigator for now. Unless Monica has a 5 star report on the Dexcom. LOL

13. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

That is the one thing I really miss about MM. The carelink software is wonderful! And the graphs and reports are very helpful...I could never really figure out the copilot software, and when my endo office did, it wasn't as helpful as the carelink for them.

That's whats cool about the Dexcom 7+ though...you can put in all that stuff! (though adding those things are an extra step...when it's with the pump, it automatically gets added which is awesome) It lets you add exercise with the options of time and intensity, carbs, and how many you ate, and insulin doses, so on the reports, it all shows up! And I found out today that I can upload on my computer and the endo office can see it, just like the carelink...but I haven't really explored that part yet.

But I totally get what you're saying about seeing everything in one big 'picture'. I definately think MM has some awesome software compared to the pump software I have used...though I haven't used Animas software yet, so I'm not sure about that.

14. Diana

Diana Approved members

The navigator also allows you to input "events" - insulin, carbs, and other stuff. We don't use that feature so I'm not sure how it works. I know that the graphs would at least mark the insulin and meals which would be really nice to have, but we aren't with it enough to take the extra step of putting the info into the Nav.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

'If' I end up using the remote I will not be able to merge it with the Navigator info in Copilot. I hate that.

16. Nancy in VA

I've been putting the insulin and meal markers in the graphs. It takes two seconds after I bolus her from the Ping remote. That way I can see what she does after a meal. I also put the insulin marker for corrections and the meal marker with carb amt for treatment of lows.

Once I get my software and can do a download, I'm gonna see what else I can do. My hubby is pretty techy and I know I can get some text outputs from my pump software, so if there is a way to hard force the data into the Co-pilot, I might do it.

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If you find out how to get data from your Ping remote to the Copilot let me know. I know you can import data. Just don't know what kind. I like seeing my Freestyle meter BG checks merged onto my Navigator line graph. It shows how close it has been doing.
    Is there a way to put the BG's from another remote merged into their Navigator???

18. Diana

Diana Approved members

Yes, that's a bummer. I don't think about that stuff since I don't have that capability anyway.

And I hate EZManager. We don't even use it anymore. This is going to be total culture shock for you. I'll be interested to hear what your boys think of the switch. My guy would HATE it if we switched pumps.

19. Nancy in VA

Carol: I'm pretty certain I can't load it onto the Navigator but when I get the Co-pilot, I'm going to look. A lot of times these programs have "import" features where you can import a text file, and I know that my pump software can export a text file, so I'll just have to play around with it once I get the Copilot.

Already, I do an export out of ezManager software(pump software) of the BG values because they took out the modal day BG report from the software upgrade and that's what we used with the Endo. So, I created one in a template form in Excel and I just bring the data into excel and paste it into the template I created to have a Modal day report.

Wish I would get my Co-pilot already. Actually I downloaded IT and the Navigator overlay yesterday but I need the bluetooth USB adapter

20. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, I'll be interested to see how you merge you Navigator data with pump/meter data. If we end up not using the remote it may not be a issue. I got out a One Touch Ultra 2 I got free a while back. It used a couple of strips back then and put it away. I got it out tonight to see if we had not enough blood or errors. I had them apply blood to their Flash and to the One Touch Ultra 2. They didn't have any problems. The One Touch got the BG number faster and one child it was only two points off the Flash. The other was very close. Interesting. How big is that remote? Is is larger than a One Touch Ultra?