- advertisement -

Animas 2020 anyone out there with one?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Mody_Jess_Pony, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

Okay guys I am pump shoping and I tink the animas 2020 is the one I want for sure. However I want first hand acounts of it. How is for active kids? I know I sure am! I bike,I run I own a pony...I live on a farm I'm rough...
    Do you like this pump? spill all the info you've got :)

2. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

We have it, we love it. We never really had any problems with it.

The only real issue I can think of is that the ezManager software that comes with it to download and analyze data is really not that great. Officially it doesn't work with Vista: the IR dongle that communicates with the pump doesn't have Vista drivers, but it worked for me with a serial to USB adapter. Sometimes it crashes during downloading though and then I have to restart, like now.

PS: For some reason, you would get a LOT more feedback on such a question if you posted it on the "Parents of children with Type 1" forum. It seems that 99% of people only read that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  3. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Aaron is really happy with his. The customer service has been great, and the only issue for really active people is the same with all pumps -- if you get sweaty or wet a lot, it's a little harder to get the infusion set to stay stuck on for the full three days. You might need extra sticky wipes or stuff to glue down the edges if they start to peel up.

How much insulin do you use in a day? The only complaint we have with the Animas is it only holds 200 u in the cartridge (and you only really get to use about 180, what with the tubing and priming etc.) -- so Aaron usually has to top up the cartridge on the 2nd day. It's not a huge deal, but it's one more thing to remember and a 300 u cartridge would make things a little easier.

4. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I really liked that it is smaller. we tried the mm for 3 days and it was way bigger. I took the class and they hooked us up to saline and I had to wear for overnight. and I must say the mm just seemed so much bigger.
    I'm not too crazy aabout the software anymore. its ok. just not what I wanted.
    I can't download my freestyle meters to it, but there s a way around it just have to get hubby to heelp me import that data, just a pain.

5. khoward1017

khoward1017 Approved members

My son has been using the Animas 2020 for a little over a year and we can't be happier. We choose it becaues of the small amount of insulin given at a time and that proven to be great for us! He is very rough! We have 3 boys and he does everything with his pump still attached. From jumping on the trampoline to playing soccer. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Karen
    Mom to 3 boys

6. brad

brad Approved members

animas 2020

We absolutely love Cadence's Animas 2020, she calls it her "pack-pack" aka backpack like Dora's. It's user friendly, easy to read and the customer service is top notch. Exactly the opposite of Minimed up here.

It's perfect for active kids as it is very durable and reliable.

edit: one comment on the EZ manager software, it's utter and complete garbage. Admittedly so by the brass at Animas as well, something new is in the works that will most likely be web-based. It's certainly not something to base your decision for or against on.

brad.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  7. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Hi,

My wife, Ingrid and my older DS use Animas IR 2020 pumps. Both have been durable, reliable, and have held up to an active family. Our adopted baby DS uses a One Touch Ping (actually an updated IR 2020). I use an Animas IR 1250. They have held up to a rugged, outdoorsy family in wheelchairs. We love Animas and their superb support.

8. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

The Animas 2020 is one of the three I am considering as well. I ride/have multiple horses/live on a farm as well. I am very concerned about the "toughness" of the pump too. haha! hopefully we can both decide on ones that we won't completely destroy. If you end up getting it, let me know how it works out for you!

9. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We have had good results with ours. Although none is perfect. It is our fourth (all replaced free, without hassle). The 1st one got paint chipped off it within days, was replaced, then two were replaced due to saying, "not primed" over and over, the last one I requested the replacement because the screen was scratched and we couldn't read it very well (worried about grandparents and child mis-reading it). Now they have skins (awesome) and screen protectors. These together are keeping the pump working new. We also picked it because it gives tiny doses of insulin, since our daughter is very sensitive to insulin and the smaller doses allow us better control. The sites sometimes come unstuck, we use an IV prep wipe after using alcohol, then wait for it to dry thoroughly before applying and it usually lasts the 3 days. The customer service is very good. And, the colors of the pumps are awesome for kids.