- advertisement -

Animals with diabetes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheFormerLantusFiend, Dec 12, 2006.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My brothers and I have been having some interesting conversations about diabetes, and we are wondering: what animals get diabetes?
    We know that dogs and cats get diabetes, and at least some birds. We know that rats and monkeys and pigs and cows get diabetes because we've heard about experiments involving the insulins of these animals. We guess that cockroaches don't get diabetes.
    We've been wondering about dolphins.
    Anybody know what animals get diabetes?

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

This one sounds like it is refering to type 2, but it doesn't state which type. This is the only one I could find, however if you search dolphins and diabetes there are a number of programs for people with diabetes to swim with the dolphins.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/2129751.stm

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Streptozotocin is a chemical given to some lab animals to destroy the beta cells in the animals prior to doing the experiments. There is not a monkey model with spontaneous autoimmune diabetes.

4. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Before I was diagnosed, my parents had a schnauzer that developed D when she was about 10 I think. She got insulin shots with every meal.