- advertisement -

Angry and tired of hearing other people telling me "it's not that bad"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by eloquine, Jan 26, 2014.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, no, you're right. I don't read any comments. Now where are your :rolls eyes: emoticon?

As for the rest, you know, most people carry glucagon for a reason, amirite?

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Here's the thing...is it important for Jack's caretakers to take this thing seriously and understand the potential gravity of the disease? Yes. (We've never had a problem with that, btw. If anything, the school lets him get away with too much, because they're afraid something bad will happen if they don't.) But it is not important that strangers in grocery lines, random people in the bleachers at basketball games, my friends list on Facebook and casual acquaintances know exactly what is involved with this whole brouhaha. And I DON'T want it to be the first thing that people think when they look at him. He's so much more than that.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

^^Exactly. Our school lets a bit too much slide too.

I do remember meeting a woman at camp once and in a breakout session she mentioned that she tells anyone who would listen that her kid has diabetes. When asked why she did this she said she felt good with the sympathy she got, and everyone thought her daughter was all the more cuter because of this. She then went on to say that she dreaded her daughter getting older because she would no longer be the cute girl with diabetes. WTF? How warped is that? I want my daughter to be Abby, the dancer, skier, sup-boarder, sailer. Not Abby the girl who has diabetes.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

exactly. to all.

Let's go back to the original point of this thread where the OP said the following:
    I think those last two lines are what most of us are trying to address.

Yes, diabetes can be serious.
    No, my child isn't going to keel over at any moment.
    Yes, sometimes people outside our family need to know how to keep our children safe and healthy.
    Yes, sometimes we need accommodations to be made because of diabetes.
    No, I don't want my child seen as the delicate snowflake with diabetes.
    Yes, sometimes diabetes is a royal pain in the ass for our family.
    No, I don't feel the need to share that stuff with other people.
    Yes, Diabetes is a shitty disease for anyone, let alone a child.
    No, it's not the worst thing ever.
    Yes, I carry glucagon
    No, it doesn't mean I believe I'm going to need it daily.

Just as the posters above all have far more to their lives than diabetes parenting, so do our children.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

I don't disagree which is why I said it was a difficult balance.