- advertisement -

angel hair pasta or any pasta

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shilpi235, Feb 1, 2010.

1. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

how do you all count for carbs in pasta unless you are making the whole pack??
    i bolused for angel hair pasta cooked 45 gms per 3/4 cup means 60 gms whole cup but she went severely low after an hour.i have tried multi grain or normal both.i made it without veggies.
    dietician said pasta should be converted into sugar within 2 to 2.5 hours.
    can you guys lease share what do you do?

2. Toni

Toni Banned

We charge 40 grams for a cooked cup of pasta (though I weigh it dry on the Salter before cooking if I can). We give 60/40 combo bolous over 1.5 hours. I always give fruit with pasta, not too much, ten grams. Yes, they go low, then high because pasta is slow digesting.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We seem to talk a lot about Pasta around here ...

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=46510&highlight=pasta

For me it was best to calculate to carb count according to the whole package, cook the whole package and weigh the whole cooked product to calculate the carb factor. You do it once and never have to do it again.;) Then you can just weigh the cooked portion and calculate the carbs in that serving.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Good suggestions from pp.

We find with Abby that pasta sits for a while with her, so we do a combo bolus. For us 70 % up front and 30 over the next 2 hours works best. We also find that the higher fiber brands work best.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

For a long time, we were using a carb factor of.15 for pasta. Recently she starting staying high, so we've upped it to more like .18. Dividing the box, etc, never worked for us - it was always overdosing her and she would go low

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We weigh it cooked on our Salter Scale. We dose him for 50% of the carbs up front, and an hour later we dose him for 60% of the carbs over 5 hours. Pasta takes FOREVER to absorb in our experience.

7. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

We dose 75% upfront and then watch his blood sugars closely for the next few hours. He will usually dip and then start to rise again. At the first sign of rising blood sugar we will dose for the rest. We've also had good results from high fibre pasta.We count 40g of carbs for 1 cup of cooked pasta.

8. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Were new to this, and dose according to bg not what he eats. However, i weigh 2oz of uncooked pasta=42gms of carbs.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Fwiw, the pasta we use, ( Barilla Plus) is .23g of carbs per g weight of pasta. And we always use a combo for pasta ... the fattier the sauce the longer the bolus ... 3-5 hr accordingly- at a 50/50 ratio.

That said, pasta seems to be one of those really individuated foods - best to dose and test and record and see what you can see:cwds:

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

I usually weigh his uncooked pasta and cook it separately.

Pasta sucks - nutritional info is based on dry weight and both volume and weight measurements after cooking vary drastically depending on cooking method. The only thing for certain is to weigh it prior to cooking - IMO. Two dirty pots is a small price to pay.

EDIT: Of course we add carbs for the sauce and cheese and usually bolus 50% + 50% for 1 hour. Our biggest issue with pasta is mostly when he eats it in the evening - earlier is better - later is .... I'm up all night.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  11. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

what will you say about the dietician who was very firm that pasta need not any combo bolus.it should be gone in 2 to 2.5 hours.i am so shocked at her.we all know much more than her :)

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

I admit I am naive about these things but is it common for a dietitian to give insulin administration advice?

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Well, unless he/she lives with a D kid I'm inclined to think... "it may be your belief, but my reality is different" :rolleyes:

weigh
    dose
    bolus
    eat
    test - 2hr
    bolus- if need be
    test - 3 hr /observe
    test - 4 hr /observe( correct, if need be)

share with dietician;)

Sorry, but if they don't live with your kid, they don't know your kid and only you can gather the data to know what changes to make for next time.

14. Toni

Toni Banned

Another weird thing about pasta.... We usually give Quinoa pasta instead of the real deal because it just is such a pain.... But if we give lasagna, baked ziti (which has ricotta cheese and/or meat sometimes), we don't seem to have the same problem.:confused: I really cannot understand why that is. For lasagna I do a 60/40 1.5 hour combo and her BGs are great later. Whereas plain pasta is a mess. This makes zero sense to me.

15. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

She is wrong. In Alex, wheat pasta takes about 5 hours to work through. I have proof with a CGMS.

As for how to dose there are two ways.

1. Just make an entire box worth, and then deduce a carb factor out of it.

Example:

1 Serving = 40g
    Servings per box = 6
    Total carbs per box = 240g

Now cook the pasta. Weigh the entire thing. Say you get 2000g cooked.

240 / 2000 = 0.12

That's your carb factor. Pick out the desired portion, use the CF. Then save off the carb factor for future use.

2. Look it up the closest match in Calorie King that has a "as prepared" entry. It's close enough.