- advertisement -

And yet another 504 question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NicksMother, Aug 25, 2009.

1. NicksMother

NicksMother Approved members

Looks like our school is using some sort of software program to type up their 504 plans this year. I received a copy of Nick's 504 for the 2009/10 school year in the mail and the format is very different from last year. I've looked over the info and I think all the information from last years 504 is still there...only in the new format. Before I sign anything, I will make sure the info is what I want.

My concern is the service dates. The anticipated start date is listed as the first date of school. The anticipated end date is listed as the last date of school. Shouldn't the 504 continue through the summer since Nick participates in school activities that meet over the summer? Nick is in football and attends summer weight lifting and conditioning and is also in the band which practices and attends parades all summer. I would think the school is responsible for providing responable care during these activities.

2. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

Absolutely! Your 504 plan by law is applicable for all after school and summer extra-curricular activities and the plans dates should reflect such

3. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

You know, that's a really good point. I made that mistake with Connor's 504 Plan. I need to correct that. We had an annual review meeting before the end of school last spring, and the new, revised Plan's start date is listed as the first day of school this year. I need to fix that next time we meet.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  4. punky1076

punky1076 Approved members

DD's was done in November of last school year and is effective for exactly one year. Then we have to sit down and revisit.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Just a note...

Yes, it should be a full calendar year that the dates cover.

I've been told that the end date is NOT an expiration date. It is the date at approximately which time the annual review should occur. Some schools will want to do the review BEFORE the end date, while some will be happy to let it ride for a bit.