- advertisement -

And we have Large Ketones - our first ketones ever - am I doing everything?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jake'sMama, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

Urgent stuff:

Never had ketones, not sure we are doing all the right things. Going to Pink Panther after I post...

BG at 12:30 was 361, ketones negative
    Double ear infection + sinus inf., dx today at Ped. - 1:30pm
    started antibiotics at 2:30pm, plus Claritin D
    felt worse as day went on, complained of leg pain, no temp
    refused to eat dinner (BG 89), very cranky, said belly hurt
    gave him some quiet time for an hour, tried suggesting food again, nothing (BG 102)
    feeling worse, checked ketones (finally got new shipment from Medco - a whole sep. post but boy am I fuming at how much they screwed with us)
    Ketones immediately came up large with one dip, BG 96
    Giving 7up (with sugar), really having to convince him to take sips and will retest.
    Gave 1 unit of Novalog and his usual 4 units of Levemir.
    Will recheck ketones at 9pm.

We're actually worried he's gonna go low.
    ----------------------------------
    So we've had a rough month of illnesses, the same junk coming up over and over. Jake was lobbying hard not to go to school Wed. but with no fever, vomiting or diarrhea, I couldn't justify it. Yes he had a cold and a nasty cough, but what kid in the school didn't?

School called Wed., i picked him up early. Thursday he didn't want to go either - I was thinking it was sibling envy since his sister was home. Got him in for the morning but couldn't get him in until today. He's going downhill fast.

Making notes of his complaints - leg pain, belly pain, headache, says "lots of blood" is in his legs and heels, cold, no appetite, irritable

2. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Yes, you're doing everything except calling the endo. ;)

Leg pain could be from the ketones causing dehydration. Keep pushing carb drinks or popsicles if you can.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

On MDI these are not the bad ketones, they are so-called "starvation" ketones from him not getting in enough carbs to cover his body's energy needs. So nothing to panic about.

Give more carbs covered by insulin and you'll be rid of them. If he won't eat, then juice, flat (to get the fizz out) soda pop, or tea with honey covered with insulin at his usual carb ratio should do the trick.

Good luck! :cwds:

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's important to stay calm.:cwds: Remember that pee sticks are hours behind, so it's vital to look at the whole child, not just the ketostick. Stay with hydration, liquid carbs, insulin and frequent bg checks.

Good luck:cwds:

5. Jessicas mom

Jessicas mom Approved members

have an illness here too!

My little girl, diagnosed in May of 2006, was put on the pump a week ago yesterday. We were told to keep her quiet for the first couple days. That was easy to do since we were checking blood sugars every 3 hours around the clock. Our numbers were perfect and we were feeling pretty confident. We ended up going to the Cincinnati Zoo last Saturday since we were doing so well. We were there a whole hour when I checked her blood sugars and she shot me a 487. I nearly had a heart attack right there at the zoo. I began correcting her and did manage to get her back within range. On the way home I mentioned to her that I didn't understand where that blood sugar came from and she told me she wasn't feeling well. She had a sore throat and was achy. Sunday she stayed down most of the day but Monday she perked up and wanted to go to school. I think she wanted to go just to show off her pump! She came home from school Monday and went to bed. I kept her home Tuesday and Wednesday. I have been in constant contact with the hospital because of our newness to the pump. Amazingly we have had no ketones throughout this entire illness. Today they told me to avoid ketones it is a good idea to have them eat a little bit often. The carbs help the insulin work. They also told me lots of fluids of any kind as long as there is no caffeine in them.

I sure hope your child gets to feeling better. It might not hurt to get a call in to the doctor.

6. Jake'sMama

update

he really struggled to finish the 7up, but he got it down. We've gotten BGs from 328 to 168. Our Aviva made weird long beeps after each check and I thought it was fried, but it was recording the BGs when I went back through - in the 200s.

After one hour the ketones look to be moderate.

When can we go to bed and relax?

calling endo on call now

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Denise Im just seeing this. So sorry about the rough night:( Hopefully the endo on call can tell you better when to head for bed. The fluids will help get rid of the ketones. If you think he can handle it I'd try to start him on more. The soda is flat right? Any stomach pain or nausea? How are the antibiotics treating him so far?

8. Jake'sMama

yes belly hurts - I forgot about the flat soda thing... he drank under pressure from us with bubbles...

9. Jake'sMama

Endo says we are going the right direction... off for more carbs, pee and insulin...ugh!

10. Jake'sMama

I'm so sorry your DD is sick but sounds like you are troopers. diabetes can really stink!

big hugs and glad you got to enjoy the zoo despite it all

11. Jake'sMama

okay - we're down to small ketones... off to bed... thank you all so much!

Do I monitor this a special way tomorrow?

12. Becky Stevens mom

Oh good! Test blood tonight if you can then check ketones in the morning at wake up. the antibiotics should be kicking in by then. Good night!:)

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

As long as he is not eating much, you have to make sure he's getting the carbs he needs in liquid form and cover those with insulin..

As long as you do that you'll be fine.

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would keep monitoring them until he's back to his regular routine.. you'll probably see them bouncing around from small to large until he's feeling better keep the sugar fluids going to so you can give the extra insulin if he doesnt want to eat..

sounds like you are handing everything great.. sorry he's sick!

15. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Glad they are clearing up. Hope he feels better soon and you get some rest.
    Keep monitoring while he's ill as Kaylee's Mommy says. :cwds:

16. Jake'sMama

Thanks again all - still small ketones this morning. Wet the bed, but we expected that. Eating some, trying to push fluids. We're letting him pick anything he wants for lunch and so far he's saying "nothing".

He wants to make Valentines... :rolleyes: I want to go back to bed. I have a migraine but I'm going to get out the glue and scissors.

Thanks again - you guys are AWESOME!:cwds::cwds:

17. Becky Stevens mom

Sounds like you guys are heading in the right direction:) Sorry about the migraine, doing quiet things sounds like a good plan today

18. Jake'sMama

Thanks for mentioning this - bounce he did - but only up to moderate. got him to eat some but still not "normal"... off to bed!

19. Toni

Toni Banned

Just want to say, looks like you have handled the large ketones very well. We have never had more than trace so I am going to flag this post or print it out for future reference. I would have just probably ran into the ER (there is a large children's hospital in town). Hanging out at the ER would have been an uncomfortable experience.