- advertisement -

an irking conversation from today....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by chkpea, Jan 26, 2011.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we have so many more tools at our disposal. That's the good thing. then again, some of the old tools still work just fine. :)

I think that's the thing to remember. We're attacking diabetes as parents of young kids. Adults are attacking from a very different place with very different needs.

2. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Is she related to Halle Berry?

3. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I'm late to the discussion but I wanted to say that well, I don't buy it. Yes it's possible some adults do awesome on the old regular nph regimens. And we've all heard stories of even ppl dx back in the day, way back, growing up with NO complications. Some ppl are just not as prone to them.

But frankly, if you haven't been to a doc in YEARS, how do you know you are doing so great? What's your a1c? Have you had your eyes dilated? Blood tests for kidney function? Are you testing frequently? What do your logs look like?

If this was just a passing conversation, I'd just smile and say, How nice for him. But if this was someone I cared about, I'd be on him to get thee to a competant endo!

And as for not having lows!!!! That right there is suspect! For adults, "normal" bs is right on the edge of a hypo, like 80-90 or 100. How do you stay close to 80-90 and NEVER go low? Most Ds have hypos a couple of times a week. I'm not saying that if you don't have hypos you're doing somthing wrong, but I can't help but think this guy's walking around high most of the time and feeling fine just b/c he's used to it and doesn't even know that his a1c is 9%!! Bottom line: YDMV!!!! Don't you dare feel bad for being so vigilant for your kid. You're doing great!

4. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I think she either doesn't understand her husband's d, or she's lying. Even if you can get insulin over the counter, syringes require a prescription, right, and I sure as heck don't believe he's testing the minimum of four times a day if he doesn't go to the doctor to get prescriptions for meter strips which means buying them outright which I doubt he's doing at four dollars a day, 120 bucks a month.

I suspect he thinks he's doing okay because he doesn't test so he doesn't know if he's running in the two hundreds. And I don't like the idea that never having a low is something you should be jealous of...even in an adult without growth hormones, there are everyday variables unless you're eating the exact same things at the same time every day, and getting the exact same amount of exercise at the exact same time every day.

And as someone else mentioned, yeah he may think he's doing okay, but complications sometimes take years to appear.

With this, as with all the other common misinformation out there, I think I would just try to extract myself from the conversation as quickly as possible so I don't lose it and try to smack some sense into someone.:p

5. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I can't tell you how many, people I run into that think just because someone is on insulin that makes them type 1. I really wouldnt go back to that vitamin shop.

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yep, I know a nurse who's husband is type 2 on insulin. When I asked if he was type 1 or type 2, she told me he had been type 2 but was now type 1 because he was on insulin.

7. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I was at a meeting where the nurse that was the manager of the diabetes specialized care call center of a large health insurance company was speaking. She made the comment, "I make sure to watch what I eat and exercise, so my Type 2 diabetes doesn't become Type 1."

I was speechless.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I could be wrong...But, if he did change his insulin she probably wouldn't know it. And if a small change sent him low he is probably on 2 shots of NPH mixed with fastacting and on a VERY strict schedule. He also doesn't have as much variable to deal with. hormones/growth spurts, sports, etc...:)

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree.. it's impossible to say you are "complication free" until you've been very thoroughly evaluated for complications. Almost ALL of them develop silently, and won't show any symptoms until they are fairly advanced - especially in the case of things like Kidney Disease or Retinopathy.

This is also exactly what I thought.. throw in an A1C in even the upper 7's which is not "that bad" in the grand scheme of things, and it's still entirely likely that someone is just walking around high-ish all the time - of COURSE they're not having lows.

With tight control, comes a moderate amount of "modest" lows... in the lower 70's or upper 60's. These to me are not a big deal and they're not life altering, but it's so important to test often and stay on top of the changes, because it is simply more easy to drop to 70 from 85 than it is from 145. So I could walk around and say I haven't had any severe hypos, but I have #'s in the 60's and 70's almost every day... no biggie.

Also, something to consider, if you asked my husband what kinds of insulin I use or how often I test, or what my A1C is, he wouldn't be able to answer any of those in a manner that makes it seem like I'm even remotely under control...but that doesn't really mean much, all it means is that he's not the one handling it 100% of the time, so he just doesn't know.

10. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

It's the "No big deal" comment that gets me.

At work, a coworker asked why I was tired, told her we were do night checks on my dd bg for her diabetes.

She was oh that is no big deal, I had gestational diabetes and just checked my bg 4 times a day and gave two shots a day.:confused:

So why is it a big deal for us, and not them:confused:

All I can say is YDMV!

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Exactly your kidneys have a lot of reserve. This is why you can live with 1 kidney

12. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

update

Another type 1 encounter this week. :) We were in a store and my ds needed a bs check, as I am doing it an older woman is watching and says "thats a neat one, what kind is it?" of course I am thinking oh dear here we go. And then she was still standing there interested so I say well it communicates with his pump. And she says oh really. So I say "do you know someone who uses a pump?" and she says "yes my daughter". She was dx'd when she was 5 and is now in her 30's. We talked for a few minutes talking in "d code" and at the end she said good luck, I know what a difficult and exhausting road you are on. She seemed somewhat relieved to talk to me, if that makes sense, and of course I felt it too. She also said that her daughter is amazing and that a lot of that is due to living with d. Just wanted to share my "positive" encounter this week as well.

13. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I know my nephew who is type 1 is on only 2 shots per day. He takes NPH along with either regular or novolog--not sure which. I don't see him often, but I don't think he really takes real good care of himself. Which in itself is very sad as he has 3 young adult children. At times he watches his diet and at other times I know he doesn't. I worry about him probably more than I worry about Reann.

14. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

As a wife of a t1d, whom use to think it wasn't such a BIG deal, I partly understand the statement - but not in a way to underplay the fact that t1d takes attention but in the fact that it doesn't remove any aspect of choices from a persons life. I still believe this, but now I see how much work my husband (and his family) put into maintaining his health so that he had all his choices open to him.
    I don't quite believe that he wouldn't have been to a doc in 13 years as it seems far fetched that he'd have any Rx's for that long. My husband's doc refuses to fill a year old Rx without seeing him again to discuss it even if they've just seen one another - he's a very thorough endo :)
    So, this is another of those sad encounters, but the true lessons from parenting a CWD is one that I hope the girl never has to be learn. I always had respect for my husband the his ability to diligently care for his health, but never truly got it until our babe was dx.
    So...maybe sometimes ignorance is bliss?!