advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An adult diabetic's perspective on resentment, getting through it and the role their parents played.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Mar 2, 2010.

1. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

So I've been in contact with Kerri from Sixuntilme, who I am sure many of you are familiar with. I love talking to you guys but because I am so new to this parenting thing and also new to this diabetes thing, I wanted to get the perspective from an adult who lived the majority of her life with diabetes. We've been in contact a bit and I sent her some questions which she turned into a blog. I am grateful and feel a bit better having read some of her thoughts and comments from parents. I thought I would share with you....so that when you are having a bad day or feel like the worst parent ever, you can know how very important your role is and how your vigilence can in turn have profound and positive effects on your kids. I sort of laugh though because she keeps refering to JJ as a little girl....but as I have learnt in this life, there are big matters and little matters facing us everyday and that one doesn't even register! I am so grateful that she shared something very personal and gave me some tips on how to handle things as JJ gets older. http://sixuntilme.com/

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh I was reading this today on Facebook! It made me blubber like a baby but Kerri's good at doing that:) This was lovely, thank you for sharing:cwds:

3. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Yep - brought tears to my eyes too! thanks for sharing that this was you . . it could have been any one of us. I often wonder those same things . ..

4. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Yes, I was in tears most of the afternoon after this post.

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

she's such an inspiration to me - that she can live a full life..and a healthy life and most important, what appears to be a happy life. i think thats' what we all want for our kids. Plus, she's just a really nice person and I had fun sharing a table with her at FFL..

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think the thing about Kerri that continues to surprise me, and amaze me, is her endless generosity toward all of us.:cwds: She is never bitter, or cranky (at least in her writing) she just continues to open up her past, and her present, and her heart ... and to share what she's feeling and living without bounds. Amazing:cwds:

7. Toni

Toni Banned

Great to read this. And realize that there are some very responsible teens out there. I note her parents seemed to be very involved in her D care even when she was a teen. And that yes, they fought about D care, as well as cleaning rooms and other issues. She appreciates her parents for helping her and is not resentful. I agree with her Parent's approach 100 percent.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah. She writes so kindly about parents of CWDs that it always tugs at my heart. I know I'm years and years off from Jack showing any sort of appreciation for what I do (and truly, I'm not looking for it - it's just my job), but the fact that Kerri always writes about CWD parents with such gratefulness and admiration makes me feel really good. Like she's a proxy for my son appreciating me or something. :eek:

9. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

There is a book titled, "Growing up with diabetes: what children want their parents to know." It is written by a woman who grew up Type 1.

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I read this and thought: OMG, Liz is going to be a grown-up pregnant woman some day!!!!!!!!! :eek:

She's only 7, but it freaked me out to think that one day she will drive, ugh, and drink (not at the same time!), and have s-e-x (getting a little nauseous now), and go away to college, (a little light headed now), . . . I mean I always new she'd grow up and get married and have babies, but I didn't think about the fact that she would actually be pregnant! I mean, who's going to wake up 5 times a night to test her bs and correct or slip her a gluc tab in her sleep? How will she manage doing everything I do for her all by herself and pg too? How will she get any rest and still have a good bs, when I'm exhausted all the time just taking care of her?!?

OK, relax, plenty of time. . . I swear some things it's best not to think about. :rolleyes:

11. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I plan on getting a dorm room when my kid goes to college, and I may even start building adjoining houses, so I can give him one as a gift for when he gets married (if he does). I wouldn't want to just actually live with him. I'm not that worried about things.:rolleyes:

**** DON'T anyone dare burst my bubble****

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

ooh your ds was dx in 10-06? So was Liz. . . maybe they have lots in common. . . hmm. . . does he cook? Do you?

I was thinking of sprawling mansion with where we'd each have our own wing. . . or maybe some kind of carriage house. . .

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

His ambition is to cook, clean and iron...like me.:rolleyes: So, he's perfect.:D

Yes, yes, the mansion idea is great. We could take turns check...ummm....dropping by our kids' to say hi, yeah, to say hi.....maybe check their meters and logs....:eek::eek::eek:

Do they have to grow up??

14. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

Thank you it will take me awhile to read all of these but I will it seems very very interesting.

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hahaha..we were looking at colleges a few weeks back with my daughter and Ian was describing what he liked at each and I made him promise that he would take me with him to college, and I could sleep on the top bunk. he's young enough that he agreed. :) melt heart..melt...