- advertisement -

Amplifying Alarms At Night

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by TheFormerLantusFiend, Sep 5, 2011.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If you use an amplification system for any CGMS or pump alarms, could you post here what all of the parts of your amplification system are, and how much it cost to start using it, and how much the continuing costs (of say, batteries) are?

I've been putting off getting something to amplify my Dexcom because of cost and because of not wanting to lose sleep but for the last few months, I have one night every one to two weeks where I wake up really high, ketotic, an nauseas, having slept through hours of alarms. I'd like to put a stop to them. But I really don't want to spend a lot of money.
    So I went into radio shack today, to buy a mini amplifier, but it looked like the ones they've got, I'd need to also use a mic with or something, and when I told the clerk what I wanted to do, he said it was impossible. :confused:

2. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

I have been looking for a solution for a long time, but haven`t found anything to use with my son`s pump (except for Guardian as a standalone unit, but this is too expensive).

Then I went to our local technical university and asked them to build a system specially for pumps consisting small vibration sensor + tiny transmitter and a receiver. I even got a grant money to finance the project. :cool: In a few weeks they should have a prototype ready for testing. If it works, a small-scale production might also be possible.

Sorry, this isn?t the answer to your original question. I had exactly the same problems and couldn?t find a ready-made solution.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Seems like we are going to move to a Dex and I was reading some old posts about this.

I thought this looked interesting - it is a baby alarm "signaler" that sends the sound to a receiver. You can sit the receiver to alarm, flash lights or shake the bed: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GK4ZS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1W4JXWK2Y438R
    If you scroll down you see the receiver that goes with it.

I don't know that this would fall into the "not a lot of money" category though.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We have this set up, the baby cry signaler with the alarm, it was about $100 delivered.

It works...but almost too well. I tend to get up at night to just do a Dex check so he can sleep, and sometimes just the process of me opening the door and picking up the Dex sets it off, so it's super sensitive. I think once he's living alone it'll be a good option.

We put the little clear plastic cover thing that clips onto the belt directly next to the baby signaler and put the Dex into that. I played with it until it alarmed easily but not to just ANY sound (seriously, this thing is sensitive, just a fraction of a turn on the dial and it goes off just with a whisper).

There's no easy way to turn off the alarm, you have to go to the baby signaler and turn the sensitivity dial DOWN/low to get it to quiet.

My son has it hooked up to the bed shaker and it flashes his lights, along with an audible alarm. He's not using it right now quite frankly, it was interrupting his sleep quite a bit. I'd love to hear from other users as to how they set it up to be a bit less jumpy, as I wish he were using it.

I don't mean to be negative, just being honest. It definitely works, but almost too well, alarming at ANY sound in the room.

5. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Nancy, I am not sure what you mean when you say you have it in a belt clip, but Melissa just sets her Dex next to the receiver on her night table. It sounds as if you have the sensitivity a little too touchy. It is tricky to get it set just right, we used my phone on vibrate and kept calling to get it right, and haven't touched it since. Her's will not go off with just the door, even our RV door that has to be slammed hard. It will go off if we don't whisper though if I go into her room.
    I purposely put the alarm on the other side of the room, so she has to get up to shut it off. I marked the dial with a marker so that she can just turn the dial all the way down to shut it off and then can easily see where to set it back to keep the volume the same all of the time.
    I don't feel the need to check on her at night now unless I hear the alarm go off. Once or twice she has shut it off and done nothing, but there were consequences to doing so, and she hasn't repeated that.

To the original poster; the setup is well worth the just about 100 dollars in my opinion. No batteries either, which is why I didn't want to go with the Radio Shack option. Your batteries could die during the night and then it is useless, let alone the cost. We already have way too many things that use batteries!

Also wanted to add that you don't have to use the bed shaker part of the system, we don't take that when we are going camping.

6. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I think Marissa puts her DexCom receiver in a glass so that the vibration/noise wakes her. Simple, no extra cost.

7. Melissata

We tried all of those types of things, and nothing worked except this. We even bought a portable karaoke machine and also a baby monitor. Wish I had saved that money!

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

His Dex came with a little pouch that zippers shut and has a belt clip. He clips that next to the signaler thing. He has a bed with a bookshelf type thing at his head, and he put it there but it wouldn't always get a full signal, too far away from his site or something?

I'll play with it some more, but it really is touchy and he has a hard time turning it off in the middle of the night/groggy and all, how do you handle that? Just hitting the actual alarm won't turn it off, only doing that tiny dial on the signaler works for his, and he's pretty fumbly at night/half asleep.

The other problem we had was when I went to go check it, stealthily :p it keeps alarming just in the act of me fumbling to find the Dex and punching buttons to see his number.

9. Melissata

Oh, you have the new case for the Dex. She has the old one that has no zipper and no clear cover over the face. I took the stitching out of the case to remove the belt clip and she just slips it into her pocket. We have never touched the signaler since we set it, she gets up and turns the dial on the alarm clock itself. Then I know she is up and out of bed, and she just turns it all the way off, then turns it back to the mark on the dial where the volume is the best, not too loud or too soft. I can go in and check her number without setting the alarm off, only louder noises sets it off. It is too difficult to try to set that tiny dial in the right place each time, so doing it on the clock works best for us. Otherwise, you have to turn the clock upside down and can turn off the switch there, and then back on again. I didn't want her doing that and dropping it or changing the dial by doing so.

It sounds to me like clipping it to the cord or wherever he clips it is just too close. She sleeps in a double bed and at times would get out of range because she was too far away. She started putting pillows on the opposite side so that she can't roll over that far. Maybe you can figure out how to get it closer to him, but it does seem like the bookcase should be close enough. Maybe it is too high? Put a box or small table next to the bed at the head and give that a try maybe?

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ok, this helps, I couldn't figure out how to turn it OFF easily, but I just played with it and if you turn down the volume on the alarm itself and leave it off for a few beats, it stops (he has his lamp flash too, he's hard to wake at night). We'd been having to do it at the tiny dial on the signaler which was just not reasonable at night. I'm going to play with it some more, thank you for the help!

11. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

We have the baby cry signaler too, and I agree with this post. It's in a drawer right now, not being used. We had too many false alarms and the alarms are very intense - it woke us up, but also gave us a huge adrenaline surge and rapid beating heart each time. I needed a break from it. Someday I will try to tweak the settings some more.

We place a small plastic basket on DD's bed every night. Inside the basket I put the baby monitor and the Dex receiver right next to it. I also put her meter in there, and a juice and glucose tabs. I can hear this most of the time, and I like having everything in one place when I stumble in there half asleep. We started this when my DD decided to sleep cross ways at the very bottom of her bed (queen size) and I was afraid we would lose the signal if Dex was on her nightstand.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  12. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We use the Radio Shack wireless microphone with an amplifier I picked up at the thrift store and a set of computer speakers added to that! (DH can't sleep without a loud fan at night and the Dex has to be louder than the fan for us to hear it).

It cost $50 for the wireless lapel mic, a couple of bucks for the adapter to plug the amplifier into and a few bucks for the computer speakers at the thrift store. We use rechargeable batteries, so no extra cost except to charge the batteries.

13. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I have been using the univeral signaler & alarm clock & bed shaker:
    http://www.soundclarity.com/uss-360-universal-sound-signaler-p-698.html
    We have the sensitivity so that it goes off when it beeps, but it doesn't usually go off when it vibrates. I love it! There was no amplification system that would wake me because the Dex just doesn't beep long enough for me to come to. The shaking does the trick. I use the bed shaker in my room, but Andrew has taken it on sleepovers with the sound turned off so that he'll wake up to an alarm without necessarily waking all his friends.

14. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

This is what we use as well. We actually had to go buy a new mic this weekend. The old one lasted 2.5 years but then just stopped working. It was 50 at radio shack. We also use rechargeable batteries as well.