- advertisement -

Amigo insulin pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TripleThreat, May 26, 2010.

1. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Looks like a good pump.

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Looks a lot like MM pump.. I've heard of it before, but never seen this page.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I don't see anything that it has that the MM or Animas doesn't. (And I suspect that both of those pumps have lower basal/bolus rates and CGM/upcoming CGM integration). So I'm having a hard time believing that sufficient numbers of people will choose this pump to make it a viable product. After the demise of Cozmo and the quasi-demise of Navigator, that's a serious consideration for me personally.

5. TripleThreat

Her son want's the yellow pump, i would rather go with a name i know then a color.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I agree, its not something to take lightly, proven track record is of upmost importance

7. Flutterby

I totally agree with this.. Its good to have new products come out and challenge the current products.. but on things such as insulin pump.. I'd much rather go with a company/name that I trust.. he can go with any pump and get a yellow skin. :cwds:

8. hawkeyegirl

I just want to be clear that it's not that I think a new product is never worth trying. The Omnipod is relatively new, and it's a great product. But it had something that nothing else on the market was offering (actually, at the time, two things - tubeless and remote dosing). There was a definite upside for taking a chance on a new product. But in the case of the Nipro - I'm not seeing the upside.

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Wow, way to jump on the "hate the small company" bandwagon.. Nipro has been around at least as long as Animas has... this is not a "new" product. Just because it may not have a large part of the market share does not mean it's not perfectly capable or reliable.

10. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

I don't think anyone said the Amigo was not capable. I think the point that was being made here was that the Amigo was not offering anything different than what the other three available pumps already have.

Really, when it comes down to pumps...they all pump insulin. That's what we really need them for. Everyone has their own favorite pump for their own personal reasons, reasons that may not be as important to another person. It doesn't mean my pump is better than your pump, or your pump is better than so and so's pump.

The way the market is now with pumps, if the Amigo isn't offering anything extremely new and different, they may putting themselves at a disadvantage because the other three pumps are already so well established.

Just to add, I do agree in this day and age, a proven track record and an established reputation is hugely important, especially when we are plugging our children into these devices.

11. hawkeyegirl

Uh, did you read what I wrote about Omnipod? I'm not seeing a "hate the small company" bandwagon. Insulet is as small as it comes when it comes to this sort of technology, and it's a great product. My question is, "What is the upside to using this product?" If it doesn't offer anything more than the two major tubed pumps (and indeed, appears to have fewer features), why would I take a chance on it? I'm not saying it's not capable or reliable. I just have doubts about it's viability from a financial standpoint.

12. Flutterby

No one is jumping on the product.. if I had a choice of this company and MM, animas or omnipod, and they all did the same thing.. I'm will go with a company that I know..

If you take two identical products off the shelf, they do the exact same thing, same price, same everything.. are you going with the company you've heard before/tried before or the newer company that you've never heard of and has no added benefits?

13. TripleThreat

no worries Hawkeye, i know what you mean.

I was just seeing if anyone knew anything about this pump, friend says endo is reluctant on this choice. He is reluctant because no one in his office knows hiw to use it, and would rather they choose one of the known 3

14. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

While Nipro is a smaller company in the US, I do believe it is the number 1 pump in Japan. I have a friend that saw it at a trade show, and she said it felt very sturdy compared to other pumps. I believe it's made out of more of an aluminum type material than plastic. I requested information from them once and it arrived packaged nicely and quickly. While I know it's hard to buy a pump based on that, if I wanted a specific color they offered, I don't think I would have a problem ordered from them. I do think I'd have a hard time getting my endo to back me up ordering from such a not-well-known company, since they don't even support Omnipod yet.

15. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

really no one is bashing the company, its a matter of how many tests have this pump been put through.
    I heard a story of a woman who was in Mexico on vacation and her pump suddenly went off and infused the entire cartridge of insulin in to her---she was in the ocean and thankfully found this out. Obviously a life threatening event!! She was not the only one that the pump malfunctioned with and as a result, the pump was pulled from market.

Pumps which have been around longer obviously have more tests done and are more proven.

Its not the size of the company, we all know the big pump guys could buy them out in a second if they wanted to

16. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Surely any pump available in the US is FDA approved and therefore meets strict quality control criteria?

17. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

This pump does look good. As mentioned, this is kind of a comeback for them since their previous pump was pulled from the market in the US. I would guess the FDA has scrutinized them pretty carefully due to that.

One thing to keep in mind is that this pump is only approved for use with one kind of infusion set.

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

My endo supports whatever pump I want, she has no choice, it's me using it. I bought the Roche Spirit as soon as it was available, mostly because it has a back up pump with it, and it was cheaper then the others. I've been very happy with it. I trialed the MM and the Cozmo before I chose and disliked both.
    The Nipro is probably cheaper then the bigger names as well.